• Tue news: 23andMe CEO no longer open to takeover. mRNA vaccines may boost cancer immunotherapy. BMS beats $6.4B lawsuit. CVS Health layoffs and potential breakup. JNJ abandoning proposed 340b plan. See more on our front page

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures

Anonymous

Well, I finally broke down and saw a professional career councilor.

I left pharma about a year ago and have found getting a job, (even a
crappy one) to be next to impossible at my age. (late 40s)

It was interesting what she said. Though she tried to be as positive and
helpful as possible, she did say (and I quote) Ex-pharma reps are amongst the
biggest career disasters I see."

She went on to say that usually long timer pharmaceutical reps either opt
for going back to school, or selling real estate.

It truly is a job that amounts to nothing for most people...Many well intentioned
souls get stuck in the quicksand unfortunately.

<

It truly is a job that amounts to nothing for most people...Many well intentioned

Don't mean to pile on but I felt the same way. Getting let go in '10 was a godsend for me. Hope you make it to the other side. Entrepreneurs are born in times such as these. Don't give up!

Don't mean to pile on but I felt the same way. Getting let go in '10 was a godsend for me. Hope you make it to the other side. Entrepreneurs are born in times such as these. Don't give up!

very good point...I think most folks that go through the awful experience of Corporate America, and toxic Merck are looking for something to do on their own...

The trick to it is to only risk the amount you are willing to lose as a mid-career professional, since you can't blow your whole savings at this point.

Just getting away from pharma sales was a HUGE improvement in the quality of my life though...I miss the nice paycheck, but not having to lie constantly, cheat, fabricate, and cater deli trays to "earn" it.

FU Pharma Industry.

very good point...I think most folks that go through the awful experience of Corporate America, and toxic Merck are looking for something to do on their own...

The trick to it is to only risk the amount you are willing to lose as a mid-career professional, since you can't blow your whole savings at this point.

Just getting away from pharma sales was a HUGE improvement in the quality of my life though...I miss the nice paycheck, but not having to lie constantly, cheat, fabricate, and cater deli trays to "earn" it.

FU Pharma Industry.

And, in particular, FU Merck.

What did you end up doing?

I got out of pharma after 3 offers to get back inside. Looked at vet side (pharma but more stable than human health) and diagnostic sales. Do this- send each and every one you know that you are looking for a job...where you live, etc. I had a person do this for me and landed me a great opportunity.

OK; older pharma rep here and still holding on at age 60. My advice: if you are truly a "science" person go back to school to become a nurse. You will feel fulfilled and make $ for the time being even if it is not what you want to do with the rest of your life. If not nursing something in the science fields: dietician,speech path. etc. Real estate is a lot of running around and a lot of hours. There are no benefits if you have a family and it takes a few years to really start going. You will need disability insurance if you choose the realty route and it depends entirely upon where you reside. Everyone in California, Florida, New York and New Jersey is a realtor. It is extremely competitive and it is not like "Selling NY" etc. and shows that you see on tv.

OK; older pharma rep here and still holding on at age 60. My advice: if you are truly a "science" person go back to school to become a nurse. You will feel fulfilled and make $ for the time being even if it is not what you want to do with the rest of your life. If not nursing something in the science fields: dietician,speech path. etc. Real estate is a lot of running around and a lot of hours. There are no benefits if you have a family and it takes a few years to really start going. You will need disability insurance if you choose the realty route and it depends entirely upon where you reside. Everyone in California, Florida, New York and New Jersey is a realtor. It is extremely competitive and it is not like "Selling NY" etc. and shows that you see on tv.

OMG!! You must have a great boss or they are scared to push you out...Most people get pushed out at 50...

How in the world do you keep your sanity in tact still being in pharma at 60??

Enquiring minds want to know!!

Nursing is ok if you have the stomach for it...time and $$$. LPN program about a year and about 15-20K investment. RN more time and money. BSN is better than RN...Forget the dietician route, very, very few jobs other than a few scattered around in nursing homes, hospitals and wic programs (need to be bilingual here) - all chump change (f/t 20s- often less than 50 for MA level people) and a depressing environments. RD is now tougher to get than years ago.. Lots of RDs work to get CDE to make a few extra dollars but jobs are still not plentiful or well paying. Speech pathology, physical therapy and occupational therapy are good bets. Best bet is NP and PA route...jobs galore, good money but expect plenty of pre-requisites for entry and a big investment of money and time to complete a program...you will also need a spouse with a good salary while you are going through the program....it is after all a graduate level education at this point...and high priced. After a certain age maybe 55 or so you really need to stop and think about investing so much money into another career. Unless you are in a strong place financially and can well afford the hit you will take on tuition...it could be a foolish move..

Real estate is good in niche markets, but tough like anything its connections and demand. Pin money...if you sell as house...while you look for another job or finally get established with a reputation, bigger license status and a people following...

OMG!! You must have a great boss or they are scared to push you out...Most people get pushed out at 50...

How in the world do you keep your sanity in tact still being in pharma at 60??

Enquiring minds want to know!!

I know a rep in his 60s...better rep than most, better groomed and more professional than most reps. He should be favored...Having mature reps is a good thing...they show up and they actually do their job. Same applies to the older employees in other roles too..

A good percentage of the younger ones are goof offs. I've met quite a few who seem preoccupied with skipping off territory, picking up their kids and getting by with doing half the work. As I see it as group they seem prone to cutting corners and avoiding bottom line accountability ...

Ever think pushing out the real workers and producers could be to blame for a lot of our problems?...I do!

I know a rep in his 60s...better rep than most, better groomed and more professional than most reps. He should be favored...Having mature reps is a good thing...they show up and they actually do their job. Same applies to the older employees in other roles too..

A good percentage of the younger ones are goof offs. I've met quite a few who seem preoccupied with skipping off territory, picking up their kids and getting by with doing half the work. As I see it as group they seem prone to cutting corners and avoiding bottom line accountability ...

Ever think pushing out the real workers and producers could be to blame for a lot of our problems?...I do!

There are still managers out there who appreciate established older reps. It is not healthy to turn Merck into rep of the month club. As another old rep, many doctors said they cannot remember who is who with the newer reps as they come and go. So they would call me and let me forward it onto the appropriate rep. The old-school manager would tell you how important it is to have some stability in a district.

I have to admit I cannot BS like my younger colleagues at district meetings. :)

Nursing is ok if you have the stomach for it...time and $$$. LPN program about a year and about 15-20K investment. RN more time and money. BSN is better than RN...Forget the dietician route, very, very few jobs other than a few scattered around in nursing homes, hospitals and wic programs (need to be bilingual here) - all chump change (f/t 20s- often less than 50 for MA level people)

Nursing (be it LPN, RN or BSN) and RD can be quite good financially. All you have to be willing to do is work a second or even a third job. I know many nurses who work 2 or 3 nursing jobs at different places and are raking in the $$$. Many of them live in affluent communities, kids go to private schools, and basically can buy most things they want whenever they want.

Hence, 2 or 3 jobs. My neighbor is an RN and works 2 jobs. She is exhausted and GRUMPY! Large note on the door. "I am asleep-Go away." Nice house and car, but at what expense. I do agree. She has been making 160k. Seldom sees her kids and they are scared to death of her.

I don't know who some of you people are but you are way off with the comments about the nurses or dietitians making big money. As a former hcp myself I will tell first hand it is a very different story...

An RN would never make 100K unless they were a NP (masters or beyond) with advanced degrees or maybe a PHD in nursing administration with heavy experience (eg: head of nursing services at a major hospital). Some RNs with advanced degrees are making 60K with a heavy schedule and that is considered big money. Some RNs do private duty work to supplement. To make money many go into pharma! The ones who can spend money are often married to doctors, dentists, lawyers...or other highly paid professionals!!!

As for the RD/dietitian route thus its laughable. It's a zero to poor reimbursement on services by insurances and being able to become a providers it very difficult....many dieticians end up looking for work in institutional kitchens or hospitals all for very mediocre incomes....many RDs running around without jobs in their fields. Again, another pharma candidate!

Hence, 2 or 3 jobs. My neighbor is an RN and works 2 jobs. She is exhausted and GRUMPY! Large note on the door. "I am asleep-Go away." Nice house and car, but at what expense. I do agree. She has been making 160k. Seldom sees her kids and they are scared to death of her.

Your neighbor can't handle it just like some reps can't handle their jobs. I know many nurses who make in excess of $100k, albeit via 2-3 jobs. But they are motivated, happy and so are their families. I personally know a husband and wife who are both BSNs, and each work 3 jobs. They make close to $600k combined. The husband just took delivery for a Lamborghini Aventador that was delivered on a closed trailer truck to their sprawling home.

Your neighbor can't handle it just like some reps can't handle their jobs. I know many nurses who make in excess of $100k, albeit via 2-3 jobs. But they are motivated, happy and so are their families. I personally know a husband and wife who are both BSNs, and each work 3 jobs. They make close to $600k combined. The husband just took delivery for a Lamborghini Aventador that was delivered on a closed trailer truck to their sprawling home.

What a wild and bogus story...Any BSN or MSN level nurse hearing this will laugh their head off.

Ask any nurse LPN (lowest paid), RN (mediocre paid), BSN (modest paid), MSN (mid paid) or PHD level and RN with specialty certifications (high paid who do no hands on patient work) and you will find that $100.00 an hour is a hard to find gig...if its found its short, not steady or ongoing....

100.00 an hour @ 40 hour week = 4000. x 52 weeks = 208,000......no time off...non-stop
and no vacation or sick time...

A wild fantasy in the advent of managed care....capitation!!!

'
Whats a councilor?

I've heard of a counselor, not a councilor....be more diligent in you pursuit and more thorough in your preparation !!!

Former RN here. Diagnosis: You are a nutcase