Careers after pharma... real success stories please!

Anonymous

For whatever reasons downsizings, prick managers, burn-out, what-ever, a lot of us who spent the last 10 years or so in pharma are now out and probably aren't going to make it back in. Albeit this is not neccessarily bad, considering the industry really is imploding and the new ways for docs to get the same info on their own time justifiably are making the job obsolete in some regards. But you have to admit the salary and the perks are really hard to find in other industries

So, and this may be a naive request on CP, but how about some 'success stories' for lack of a better term, of where you ended up and how, after pharma. How long did it take to get there, and how satisfied are you now from a career/compensation/personal level with where you ended up.

For example, What should the average rx rep who's just left the ind. expect in terms of how long they can expect to be unemployed?

Do the new gigs compare to pharma, what industries have you or your associates been ending up in, do you like it more/less etc.

Any job hunting tips/strategies that worked really well 4 you etc.,

Perhaps if some people can post some 'real' experiences and advice, not just "I'm out of pharma and making 200K, working less hours, and getting respect" perhaps those of us circling the drain can get a little "real" insight from those who made it out. Lets keep it real and see if we can make this a beneficial thread. And in the spirit of keeping it 'real' include the "bad", and the "ugly" as well as the "good" stories.

<

I was a national accounts manager for a large pharma company for 8 years.

I quit and gave BJ's to donkeys at the clubs in Tijuana for a couple years afterwards to help rebuild my self-esteem.

Today I manage a house of ill repute in Vegas and feel much better about myself.

I was a national accounts manager for a large pharma company for 8 years.

I quit and gave BJ's to donkeys at the clubs in Tijuana for a couple years afterwards to help rebuild my self-esteem.

Today I manage a house of ill repute in Vegas and feel much better about myself.

right, so you leveraged your transferrable skills as an account manager to your new position!

For whatever reasons downsizings, prick managers, burn-out, what-ever, a lot of us who spent the last 10 years or so in pharma are now out and probably aren't going to make it back in. Albeit this is not neccessarily bad, considering the industry really is imploding and the new ways for docs to get the same info on their own time justifiably are making the job obsolete in some regards. But you have to admit the salary and the perks are really hard to find in other industries

So, and this may be a naive request on CP, but how about some 'success stories' for lack of a better term, of where you ended up and how, after pharma. How long did it take to get there, and how satisfied are you now from a career/compensation/personal level with where you ended up.

For example, What should the average rx rep who's just left the ind. expect in terms of how long they can expect to be unemployed?

Do the new gigs compare to pharma, what industries have you or your associates been ending up in, do you like it more/less etc.

Any job hunting tips/strategies that worked really well 4 you etc.,

Perhaps if some people can post some 'real' experiences and advice, not just "I'm out of pharma and making 200K, working less hours, and getting respect" perhaps those of us circling the drain can get a little "real" insight from those who made it out. Lets keep it real and see if we can make this a beneficial thread. And in the spirit of keeping it 'real' include the "bad", and the "ugly" as well as the "good" stories.

Persistence, persistence, persistence. It took me 3 years, and a lot of bouncing around - crazy commission-only sales jobs, minimum wage plus commission sales jobs, to no commission straight salary marketing jobs. still too low paying. But I applied to every job that interested me, and followed up and closed on the interview. I've going into my 3rd year with a medical data and software
company. Decent base, great benefits, commission paid monthly, and in my second year my salary was on par with my final year salary after 20 years with the same company. It can be done. It's not easy, but don't give up.

Persistence, persistence, persistence. It took me 3 years, and a lot of bouncing around - crazy commission-only sales jobs, minimum wage plus commission sales jobs, to no commission straight salary marketing jobs. still too low paying. But I applied to every job that interested me, and followed up and closed on the interview. I've going into my 3rd year with a medical data and software
company. Decent base, great benefits, commission paid monthly, and in my second year my salary was on par with my final year salary after 20 years with the same company. It can be done. It's not easy, but don't give up.

Thanks! Thats the kind of story that can motivate people! It's a good message because so many of us are used to linear careers, rep to DM to RBD etc., or at least equivalent lateral moves so when the bottom falls out it's a little disconcerting, to say the least! Thanks for posting a 'real'response. I'm sure you've given a few people today a new way to think about the job search.

its not rocket science.

Network your ass off, and find a person within that will recommend you.

F interviewing, if you can help it.

There is no need to be a loser, unless you don't know how to save money and are at the mercy of others.

As for success stories, mine is that I realized about ten years ago that you work for yourself, regardless of whether or not a company signs your checks...

bottom line is just tote the company line while you are working and don't stress out over anything. If they want to screw you over with a downsize or bad review or whatever, don't sweat it...

and network your ass off.

In today's business world, nobody cares how good you are anymore (my experience, and it is sad), and all they care about is if THEY like you.

Totally agree. Sort of reminds me of Death of A Salesman and Willy Lohman. Another thing to mention is all the pre-interview testing companies do now to make sure you "fit" regardless of your education, knowledge, skills, abilities and experience. What's the point of being good at what you do when at the end of the day a fit/iq test determines your "hireability"? I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_qgVn-Op7Q

its not rocket science.

There is no need to be a loser, unless you don't know how to save money and are at the mercy of others.

As for success stories, mine is that I realized about ten years ago that you work for yourself, regardless of whether or not a company signs your checks...

bottom line is just tote the company line while you are working and don't stress out over anything. If they want to screw you over with a downsize or bad review or whatever, don't sweat it...

In today's business world, nobody cares how good you are anymore (my experience, and it is sad), and all they care about is if THEY like you.

check out insurance companies, open up your own agency-two companies to look at that will pay you a base, insurance, office expense, etc are state farm and metlife (home and auto) state farm will give you a salary while obtaining all of your license for insurance and finance but just a thought, be your own boss and not answer to anyone but yourself

I got into management consulting after pharma sales. I now work on consulting projects that have to do with managed markets. It's interesting and fun. I think any drug rep can do it if they are willing to work in an office. Many of these management consulting companies hire recent college grads. It pays pretty well but I miss my company car :(

its not rocket science.

Networking is Key, couldn't agree. I was in pharma for 3 years and got into medical device about 4 years ago and have been at the same place for four years. Good mid-sized company with name recognition in the speciality I serve.

I'll tell you this, at trade shows (I do about 4 large ones a year with 5,000+ attendees each) I do get hit up by several DMs/VPs/Recruiters with whom I've been having "conversations" with ever since I started. The conversations are either "What will it take to get you here?" or "nothing is available right now but let's talk."

Even if I stay in the particular specialty specific work the rest of my life, I am okay with that. This place isn't perfect but they respect results and ignore me most of the time.

And the pay is better, I had a SHIT year this year and will still do 160. And you are right, my numbers are mediocre but they like me here because I shut up and play the game when needed.

Very insightful post to the guy I responded to.

I made a huge mistake thinking I would get right back to work after a lay off in 2009.

Since 2009 I have interviewed a number of times, and have came in second too many times.

If I knew today what I did not know 2 years ago, I would have gone to nursing school or learned a trade immediately. Versus, working 3 minimum wage jobs six days a week to keep my head above water.

No fun, no insurance, no money. Brutal

I love when the hiring manager or would be recruiter asks "So, what have you been up to over the last 2 years?"

I guess they do not read the paper or watch TV. I have been looking for a job.

Seriously? No, I love the challenge of living in poverty. I love not having health insurance, gas or any form of disposable income.

As a middle aged white male, there is not a lot of people clamoring for pharma skills.

Sitting in front of 30 year old DM and stating your case for employment is almost a waste of time.

Odd, having a complete stranger determine weather you will make the mortgage, have insurance or money to buy food. Not exactly the plan I had in mind 15 years ago when I got into this dog and pony show.

I made a huge mistake thinking I would get right back to work after a lay off in 2009.

Since 2009 I have interviewed a number of times, and have came in second too many times.

If I knew today what I did not know 2 years ago, I would have gone to nursing school or learned a trade immediately. Versus, working 3 minimum wage jobs six days a week to keep my head above water.

I love when the hiring manager or would be recruiter asks "So, what have you been up to over the last 2 years?"

Seriously? No, I love the challenge of living in poverty. I love not having health insurance, gas or any form of disposable income.

As a middle aged white male, there is not a lot of people clamoring for pharma skills.

Sitting in front of 30 year old DM and stating your case for employment is almost a waste of time.

Odd, having a complete stranger determine weather you will make the mortgage, have insurance or money to buy food. Not exactly the plan I had in mind 15 years ago when I got into this dog and pony show.

Here is an important thing to remember: Never lose confidence in yourself.

If you do, you are toast.

If other don't want to hire you, fuck them.

OP here. Same thought, longest ever w/out a job was 3 mnths, its been a year now since laid off. Lot of close but no cigars - which is why I posted this- hoped to find some ideas where people with our backgrounds have found success other than 100% commision jobs or part-time bag boys. Some brainstorming if you will.

I've worked in other bus. areas prior ( acctng, analytical, etc.) so always figured with that and a decent degree, and the 'skills' I would develop in pharma I would be ok - but over 40 and white male I'm just hoping to get PT at Walmart to extend the UEC a little longer.

Honestly I think I might tell the next Hiring manager just what you said if they ask what I've been doing the last year - "I love the challenge of living in poverty -my kids have always enjoyed 99 cent mac 'n cheese out of the box- so no biggie there. I run everyday so I don't need health insurance because A) Hopefully the 2 hrs at the gym will keep my healthy or B) Perhaps my heart or an artery in my head will burst and I will no longer have to deal with this shit, and disposable income, never really cared for it.

I'm sure we'll be called whiners or not trying hard 'enuff, and I get the 'bootstraps' stuff but until you start walking this path you're really not qualified to speak about it.

You are so right on spot. They make you feel like dirt. I wish that I could reach through the phone and hit one of these recruiters that cops that attitude about what have I been doing for the past 2 years. Or why did you leave, it sure wasn't by my choice you ass!!

OP here. Same thought, longest ever w/out a job was 3 mnths, its been a year now since laid off. Lot of close but no cigars - which is why I posted this- hoped to find some ideas where people with our backgrounds have found success other than 100% commision jobs or part-time bag boys. Some brainstorming if you will.

I've worked in other bus. areas prior ( acctng, analytical, etc.) so always figured with that and a decent degree, and the 'skills' I would develop in pharma I would be ok - but over 40 and white male I'm just hoping to get PT at Walmart to extend the UEC a little longer.

Honestly I think I might tell the next Hiring manager just what you said if they ask what I've been doing the last year - "I love the challenge of living in poverty -my kids have always enjoyed 99 cent mac 'n cheese out of the box- so no biggie there. I run everyday so I don't need health insurance because A) Hopefully the 2 hrs at the gym will keep my healthy or B) Perhaps my heart or an artery in my head will burst and I will no longer have to deal with this shit, and disposable income, never really cared for it.

I'm sure we'll be called whiners or not trying hard 'enuff, and I get the 'bootstraps' stuff but until you start walking this path you're really not qualified to speak about it.

I interviewed with a VERY arrogant DM from big pharma about 5 years ago. I was laid off and he made me feel very small. Come to find out the asshole got laid off a year after I met with him...So understand that these dipshits that interview know how tenuous their job is...

I interviewed with a VERY arrogant DM from big pharma about 5 years ago. I was laid off and he made me feel very small. Come to find out the asshole got laid off a year after I met with him...So understand that these dipshits that interview know how tenuous their job is...

OK asshole got some karma (which is always good), but what are YOU doing now, 'cus thats what this thread is about.

I want some ideas (as I'm sure others do that are reading this thread) as to where ex-pharma people end up and how long it takes to get there. If we agree pharma careers are dead, then I'm just trying to figure out the after life!

OK asshole got some karma (which is always good), but what are YOU doing now, 'cus thats what this thread is about.

I want some ideas (as I'm sure others do that are reading this thread) as to where ex-pharma people end up and how long it takes to get there. If we agree pharma careers are dead, then I'm just trying to figure out the after life!

start off by not using "words" like "cus"...

you seem stupid when you do that.

Look, you have three options imo:

1. Stay in sales, and sell. So, if pharma doesn't hire you, then just look for another outside sales position. Sure, you will work your ass off, but you will ALWAYS make good money in an outside sales position. Just look for something that can compete in the market. In other words, look to sell good products with good companies and don't waste your time looking for work selling crap.

2 Go back to school and find something that the market demands. Do your research and find out who is hiring. The obvious choice is nursing. However, I would only do it if you want to do it, especially with something like nursing. Keep searching and you will find something. And be pessimistic going into this, especially if you are going to have to spend lots of money moving into a career change.

3. Work at Wal-Mart.

Good luck.

I was acquired by a company with my a manager who started in the industry 10 yrs after me. I taught her a lot and contributed to the new company in terms of successful ideas and even supported her as others spoke behind her back!

Well, she laid down the axe as the new company cleaned house from the left over debris from the acquisition. I left with dignity. Showed up late at the storage unit with my sweats on and did not take the company paid transportation home. I went home in my paid for car back to my debt free life, escorted in style by my loved one-who was MY witness-always take your own witness if you can to your 'exit' interview from Pharma-it doesnt matter anymore. I always felt that this industry's plan was to put reps in compromising positions, then fire them for doing their job. Well, my day came after I saw many cleaned from the roles of pharma the same way. So, I knew when I got the call. I went out with class-I was Black listed by my former counterparts and some DMs. All the while, I new my manager had thrown me under the bus out of fear for her job. All my former counterparts AND DM were acquired by a NEW company and got the boot a year later. More happened to the company and lawsuits abound as it stands no more.

What goes around does come around. Just wait it out. This industry is taking no prisnors anymore and experienced reps need not apply. It's about toting the company line and experienced reps are a risk-because we think and we care and most of all we remember what it's like to have relationships. And, relationships are too risky for corporate compliance policies and lawyer mandated/approved details.

My career? Oh, I regulate the Pharma Industry now. Victory is mine.

QUOTE=Anonymous;4125681]I interviewed with a VERY arrogant DM from big pharma about 5 years ago. I was laid off and he made me feel very small. Come to find out the asshole got laid off a year after I met with him...So understand that these dipshits that interview know how tenuous their job is...[/QUOTE]

I was acquired by a company with my a manager who started in the industry 10 yrs after me. I taught her a lot and contributed to the new company in terms of successful ideas and even supported her as others spoke behind her back!

Well, she laid down the axe as the new company cleaned house from the left over debris from the acquisition. I left with dignity. Showed up late at the storage unit with my sweats on and did not take the company paid transportation home. I went home in my paid for car back to my debt free life, escorted in style by my loved one-who was MY witness-always take your own witness if you can to your 'exit' interview from Pharma-it doesnt matter anymore. I always felt that this industry's plan was to put reps in compromising positions, then fire them for doing their job. Well, my day came after I saw many cleaned from the roles of pharma the same way. So, I knew when I got the call. I went out with class-I was Black listed by my former counterparts and some DMs. All the while, I new my manager had thrown me under the bus out of fear for her job. All my former counterparts AND DM were acquired by a NEW company and got the boot a year later. More happened to the company and lawsuits abound as it stands no more.

What goes around does come around. Just wait it out. This industry is taking no prisnors anymore and experienced reps need not apply. It's about toting the company line and experienced reps are a risk-because we think and we care and most of all we remember what it's like to have relationships. And, relationships are too risky for corporate compliance policies and lawyer mandated/approved details.

My career? Oh, I regulate the Pharma Industry now. Victory is mine.

QUOTE=Anonymous;4125681]I interviewed with a VERY arrogant DM from big pharma about 5 years ago. I was laid off and he made me feel very small. Come to find out the asshole got laid off a year after I met with him...So understand that these dipshits that interview know how tenuous their job is...
[/QUOTE]

Congrats on your new role! The $64,000 question is - how did you land that role? Readers would like to know. Thanks.

After pharma I took a advertising sales job with a base salary that is 1/3 of my pharma base. But you get 10-15% of everything you sell and you get paid monthly commission. I watch other reps at my company pull in close to 100K without college degrees.

I have to use a personal car but I don't drive too much.

My life is more structured now as I'm not exactly sure how much I will make every month.

I miss the money of Pharma but I don't miss all the BS that has been mentioned in this thread.

Honestly, if I found a small pharma company that I believed in, I would leave this job to go back in. We were spoiled in Pharma in a lot of ways and I know I miss it and my family does too.