• Tue news: Regeneron fails to block Eylea biosimilar. Inside the GLP-1 price war. Novartis inks $1B biobucks deal. UCB/Biogen lupus drug. Lilly Alzheimer’s drug approved in Japan. See more on our front page

Allergan Said to Plan Cost Cuts Amid Valeant Defense

Anonymous

Allergan Said to Plan Cost Cuts Amid Valeant Defense

Bloomberg
By Beth Jinks, David Welch and Caroline Chen
8 hours ago

Allergan Inc. (AGN), the Botox maker being pursued by Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. and Bill Ackman's hedge fund, will shelve unpromising pipeline drugs and overhaul management incentives, two people with knowledge of the matter said.

A broad restructuring plan set to be outlined during Allergan's earnings announcement later this month will also involve companywide cost cuts, including some legacy expenses, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the effort isn't yet public. Management compensation will be more closely tied to achieving higher forecasts.

The changes are among moves aimed at boosting profit in the coming months as well as forecasts for future years to convince shareholders that the company is better as a standalone investment. Allergan is battling criticism from Valeant and activist Ackman's Pershing Square Capital Management LP as the hostile bidders seek a shareholder vote this year to oust most of the incumbent board to get a deal done.

Chairman and Chief Executive Officer David Pyott has rebuffed talks with Valeant, pledged to tackle expenses, and said on June 10 the company would provide a more detailed plan including cost reductions when it released its second-quarter earnings at the end of July.

Three Offers
Allergan, based in Irvine, California, has rejected Valeant's three offers since April, including the latest bid of $72 cash and 0.83 of a Valeant share for each Allergan share, which the company said was a "grossly inadequate" price that failed to value its growth prospects.

The company has considered strategic options including making an acquisition that would add growth product lines or buying back shares to assuage investors and avoid being bought by Valeant, the people said.

Ackman's Pershing owns 9.7 percent of Allergan shares -- a stake amassed specifically to drive the deal in an agreement with Valeant. The activist fund has called for a special meeting of Allergan shareholders that will include a vote on the board, and proposed six new directors this week.

Allergan closed at $166.07 yesterday in New York, giving it a market value of $49.4 billion.

Cutting Costs
Pyott set five-year cost-cutting targets when Allergan rejected Valeant's first offer, including selling, general and administrative expenses in the mid-to-high 20s as a percentage of sales. In 2013, those expenses were more than 37 percent, according to the company's earnings statement.

Allergan recently received U.S. approval for a treatment of vision loss in diabetics. Its migraine inhaler was rejected because of manufacturing concerns that will set back approval by a year, according to a filing on June 30.

The company also said DARPin, its experimental treatment for wet age-related macular degeneration, a disease that causes vision loss, will begin the last of three stages of clinical trials typically required for approval by the Food and Drug Administration . Allergan's argument for keeping the company independent has included DARPin, which may generate $20 billion in sales over a decade if approved.

<

Somewhat ironic... In order to avoid being taken over by Valeant, Pyott will do what Valeant said it wants to do.

What's the point? At least Valeant comes in as an expert in these cost cuts and integrations. Now Pyott is going to change his operating model to do exactly what he's been saying is bad for the business?

Sounds like we're up shit-creek either way, except our captain won't have any experience with the river. If we're going this route, I'd rather merge. At least VRX knows what the hell they're doing in these things.

Somewhat ironic... In order to avoid being taken over by Valeant, Pyott will do what Valeant said it wants to do.

What's the point? At least Valeant comes in as an expert in these cost cuts and integrations. Now Pyott is going to change his operating model to do exactly what he's been saying is bad for the business?

Sounds like we're up shit-creek either way, except our captain won't have any experience with the river. If we're going this route, I'd rather merge. At least VRX knows what the hell they're doing in these things.

Go back to your crap, VRX

Not even close dumbass! Pyott is overhauling compensation for upper management, pulling some development projects and looking closely at G@A. How f'ing ignorant are you?

Cramer DP BA MP the boys are cutting costs merging companies and making some sick bank - the best part is that Team AGN is still 'fighting' when the shareholders would be fools to vote against this takeover! Either way there will be massive cuts and DP Billy A and their main man MP will all be laughing to the bank! Book it!

Cramer DP BA MP the boys are cutting costs merging companies and making some sick bank - the best part is that Team AGN is still 'fighting' when the shareholders would be fools to vote against this takeover! Either way there will be massive cuts and DP Billy A and their main man MP will all be laughing to the bank! Book it!

You are so annoying on this board. Maybe try changing up your style of writing so at least it doesn't look like you are the same person posting over and over again. "Book it!" "Deal with it!" "Laughing all the way to the bank!" You look like an idiot.

Why do you think vrx would do a better job? Do they have experience integrating such a large company?

Is Pyott cutting the same things and to the same degree that vrx would?

Disagree with the 2nd half about merging with VRX and them having the experience, but I do agree with this person (troll or not) that it is highly ironic that Pyott is now going to cut some R&D on the lesser promising pipeline - same thing that Pearson was going to do.

Disagree with the 2nd half about merging with VRX and them having the experience, but I do agree with this person (troll or not) that it is highly ironic that Pyott is now going to cut some R&D on the lesser promising pipeline - same thing that Pearson was going to do.

Why is this so "ironic"? You ever heard of read and react? VRX exposed some of our weaknesses in hopes of acquiring AGN. AGN doesn't want to be acquired so it responds to some of the weaknesses VRX has exposed to appease the masses.

Pretty basic. Not surprising at all.

AGN tightening up, not the end of the world. Happening EVERYWHERE across this industry and every single other industry. AGN has been lucky to hang tight for so long doing things as they see fit. Time to adjust to the times.

Allergan Inc. (AGN), the Botox maker being pursued by Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. and Bill Ackman ’s hedge fund, will shelve unpromising pipeline drugs and overhaul management incentives, two people with knowledge of the matter said.
A broad restructuring plan set to be outlined during Allergan’s earnings announcement later this month will also involve companywide cost cuts, including some legacy expenses, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the effort isn’t yet public. Management compensation will be more closely tied to achieving higher forecasts.

Does anyone think maybe this reduces layoffs?

My thoughts are that the cuts wont be as deep, certainly not for R & D.

Shareholders #1 priority now is acquisition that makes sense. Shire anyone? Why did Pyott make his first public interview yesterday? Maybe to divert media attention while back door deal is negotiated? DP openly shared the #1 priority. would he offer that up if he wasnt already working on something? doubt it

If we don't have a deal with someone we deserve to be bought.

Pyott is way smarter than that. He went on there to say why what he's about to do is the best option. He's not going to start w Cramer and then picking up the phone. Something is close to done I predict. Doubt it's anything predictable either

If cheap money is available for VRX then the same money is available in more quantity to investment grade AGN.

I do not buy into the argument that DP will hint buyback, special dividend, strategic acquisition, cost cutting measures etc unless he has plotted them out.

I could be wrong but if you watch DP and compare him with MP / BA, you can see that the former does not bluff while latter do quite often.

If cheap money is available for VRX then the same money is available in more quantity to investment grade AGN.

I do not buy into the argument that DP will hint buyback, special dividend, strategic acquisition, cost cutting measures etc unless he has plotted them out.

I could be wrong but if you watch DP and compare him with MP / BA, you can see that the former does not bluff while latter do quite often.

Spot on. Speak softly and carry a big stick

They are all friends, ie the rich get richer! There will be MASSIVE cuts either way you look at it. The fact that Pyott has such loyalty here when he voted down ESP programs for employees and showed zero transparency during a VRX bid 20+ months ago (which led to his bud Billy A buyin 9B of options) is beyond me. The future is trimming the trimming the fat and making the shareholders rich. AGN alone or merging with VRX doesn't matter to us serfs. The rich will continue to get richer and you know the rest! Tell me I am wrong, please!

They are all friends, ie the rich get richer! There will be MASSIVE cuts either way you look at it. The fact that Pyott has such loyalty here when he voted down ESP programs for employees and showed zero transparency during a VRX bid 20+ months ago (which led to his bud Billy A buyin 9B of options) is beyond me. The future is trimming the trimming the fat and making the shareholders rich. AGN alone or merging with VRX doesn't matter to us serfs. The rich will continue to get richer and you know the rest! Tell me I am wrong, please!

BINGO!!!!!!

Here is why you are wrong. DP's fiduciary duty is towards his shareholders so he should work towards it.

More people will be employed under DP plan than MP plan. MP has publicly stated he will fire thousands while DP has hinted nothing yet. If you cannot agree with this then don't bother reading the rest.

No one has stopped you from getting rich other than your own limitations could be intellectual or they could be educational. Only you know what is stopping you from getting rich.