All exposed this coming Monday

There is no way to make this whopping fine look like an accomplishment. If Amgen does hold price, the $58/ share and 11.8 P/E says "get out" louder than it says "buy more". The DOJ action will certainly cause institutional investors and analysts to keep a close eye on Amgen. In this market, any uncertainty is a killer.

The $780,000,000 may or may not cover all the Fed fines and penalties. There is no telling the amount of civil suits that may arise. And I am sure Amgen has more skeletons in its closet.

Let me answer it this way, if someone asked me if they should buy Amgen shares, I would suggest not. Too much to deal with and uncertainty abounds.

Civil suits are 'usually' covered by a liability policy. Criminal suits are not covered by insurance.

Settlement=admission of guilt.
What comes after will not be positive.

This fine is just another tax to feed the beast based upon sketchy regulations that are as complicated as the tax codes that no one can figure out. We're a California company with progressive ideals in the quest for Utopia. We'd settle even if we were innocent because it's the "right thing to do" in todays Keynesian mind-set.

Also, our biggest competitor lives in Obama's backyard. If you don't think politics are used to skew a multi-billion dollar market, you're kidding yourself.

A nearly billion dollar fine is devastating to a company desperately trying to recapture $600 million over a years plan. This sets Amgen back at least a year and demands offsets to meet the loss. Cutbacks in R&D, sales, production, etc... We've lived off economies of scale with the assurance we can always have room to tighten expenditures. It's been management's ace-in-the-hole. They're very close to pulling that ace.