• Fri news: Eisai/Biogen Alzheimers med. BMS earnings beat. Big Pharma unfazed by IRA. Indivior opioid settlement. Abbott CGM recall. —http://bit.ly/w28kSd — See more on our front page

Age Discrimination in this industry

this industry lacks integrity, when you consider vaccines, cancer drugs that don't help patients live longer, and psych. drugs that don't work, and cholesterol drugs that do nothing because cause many side effects.

so what do you expect them to do with their employees other than continue to treat them like shit.

they love hiring young kids that are naive in this industry. attention to all college grads or people looking to get into this industry: don't do it. its terrible. you are treated like a convict too.

they love hiring young kids that are naive in this industry. attention to all college grads or people looking to get into this industry: don't do it. its terrible. you are treated like a convict too.

absolutely correct here.
worse, you have 30 something year old managers that are totally drinking the kool aid. no class either. if you have a manager in their 20s or 30s, don't even go on the interview.

Some young managers are smarter than you think and are willing to hire a seasoned rep because they know the job will get done and that rep will make them look good.
Most older reps just want to keep working - they don't want to be put out to pasture - so they work harder, smarter and do everything to make their young manager look good because they know how to subtly communicate that to upper management.
There is no insecurity on their part because they just want to do a great job and stay employed! They DON'T want the manager's job. From an over 50 rep who knows.

When you're looking at age discrimination in employment, your critical period is your mid to late 40s. Employers, especially unethical drug and medical companies, have a "free shot: at you before you reach your 50s. Just be sure that you're bullet proof (not a bad year with sales or metrics or whatever they judge reps on now a days) during those years.

When you're looking at age discrimination in employment, your critical period is your mid to late 40s. Employers, especially unethical drug and medical companies, have a "free shot: at you before you reach your 50s. Just be sure that you're bullet proof (not a bad year with sales or metrics or whatever they judge reps on now a days) during those years.

its all a goddam mess. the best reps are 1099.

This is spot on. 60 now and can’t get the lay-off when I want it. Late 40’s, always had a manager micromanaging and all over my ass despite numerous national sales contest wins.

HR in Pharma is the worse, they get away with a lot of employment violations that is why the industry has you sign an at will agreement. Unless you can record or get your hand on emails or conversations almost impossible to prove age discrimination. It is rampant in the industry.

i was pushed out at 50 after 23 years as a top performer for a leading big company...

they basically knocked my head off and sh%t down my neck, skull fuc%ed me and
left me high and dry and unemployable...

good luck trying to fight big pharma...an industry run by lawyers...

they basically can pull any bull $hit they want to...the older employee is screwed.

Totally agree, I am 64, left the industry last year and could not find another job, despite living in a very urban area. Age discrimination is rampant everywhere. I now work as an Amazon driver, not because I have to, but because I want to. But it took3 months to get this gig, and Amazon is a slave driver! 250 packages a day, and no time to take a shit!

Age discrimination these days is being practiced around the globe for sure. It will let you think twice to stay as an employee forever or you step up and make your own business.