• Thurs news: Novo Nordisk’s port strike distribution plan. Arcus/AZ renal cancer trial. Lilly weight loss drugs no longer in shortage. Difficulties of a CVS breakup. Google and Biontech AI lab assistants. See more on our front page

Abbvie Board Ditches Shire Acquisition

After this debacle and how AbbVie trashed Shire, I can't imagine ANYONE willing to do a deal with AbbVie in the future. Gonzales simply has zero credibility now and can't be trusted. Stick a fork in him.

Yes and going forward he is going to have very little leverage to negotiate a good price on any company he wants to buy. The clock is ticking and everyone knows Abbvie is desperate to make a move

Maybe this failure to buy Shire will be like the Abbott failure to buy Alza in 1999. After that failure Abbott bought Knoll. Knoll had a product about to finish phase 3 test that did all right for Abbott and now AbbVie. The product is Humira. Maybe there is another diamond in the rough that Littlle Ricky could find.

They may already have one in mind. If the claims that Libigel reduces the risk of CV events in at risk menopausal women with HSDD by at least 70% are accurate, Libigel may be a target in their sights. Dr Michael Snabes who was hired by Abbvie as Sr Medical Director of Men and Women's health was lead the Lead investigator during the safety trials that generated the claims and is one of the inventors listed on the patent application. At the time of the claim they had over 4000 person years of data. The trial was completed with over 7000 person years of data. None of the findings have been publicly released except in the patent application.

Libigel also had good phase II trial results on improving cognitive function on menopausal women.

Libigel could be a good fit and if similar CV risk reduction can be generated to all menopausal women by restoring the testosterone levels to pre-menopausal rates it could be just what Abbvie needs. Best of all no competition.

In any event they have to do something. Humira size revenue will be hard to replace with just one product. They will most likely have replace it with an aggregate of products.

The person who should go is the abbvie joker who negotiated the 1.6 billion number. Gonzo should can that bozo. I don't see gonzo as the person who actually came up with the 1.6 figure. Someone else probably did.

They may already have one in mind. If the claims that Libigel reduces the risk of CV events in at risk menopausal women with HSDD by at least 70% are accurate, Libigel may be a target in their sights. Dr Michael Snabes who was hired by Abbvie as Sr Medical Director of Men and Women's health was lead the Lead investigator during the safety trials that generated the claims and is one of the inventors listed on the patent application. At the time of the claim they had over 4000 person years of data. The trial was completed with over 7000 person years of data. None of the findings have been publicly released except in the patent application.

Libigel also had good phase II trial results on improving cognitive function on menopausal women.

Libigel could be a good fit and if similar CV risk reduction can be generated to all menopausal women by restoring the testosterone levels to pre-menopausal rates it could be just what Abbvie needs. Best of all no competition.

In any event they have to do something. Humira size revenue will be hard to replace with just one product. They will most likely have replace it with an aggregate of products.

You are a complete moron if you think AbbVie is going to get further tangled in the testosterone debacle. Sure give it to woman and lets give estrogen to men and lets spend billions on years of more studies on a hormone that has received terrible press lately regarding INCREASED CV risk in men.
Lets test if giving it to elephants will enlarge their trunks' length and firmness.
Give it up Androgel boy. That drug and class will go nowhere and anyone associated with Metabolics now is in real deep shit on a very short runway.

I left 6 Androland 6 months ago and bought at least alittle more time over in HCV although I am not feeling very comfy over there given Gilead's latest maneuvers. You are looking at a very near term demise.

You are a complete moron if you think AbbVie is going to get further tangled in the testosterone debacle. Sure give it to woman and lets give estrogen to men and lets spend billions on years of more studies on a hormone that has received terrible press lately regarding INCREASED CV risk in men.
Lets test if giving it to elephants will enlarge their trunks' length and firmness.
Give it up Androgel boy. That drug and class will go nowhere and anyone associated with Metabolics now is in real deep shit on a very short runway.

I left 6 Androland 6 months ago and bought at least alittle more time over in HCV although I am not feeling very comfy over there given Gilead's latest maneuvers. You are looking at a very near term demise.

I am not counting on it to save my job, but, I wouldn't be so certain that Abbvie is not giving it a good look, especially with Dr Snabes intimately knowing it's potential value. They would be morons not to. The problem with Androgel is it did not have the rigorous safety trial which was placed on Libigel, which has led to all the negative press.

The safety trial for Libigel produced a 70% reduction in risk of a CV event (THIS IS A HUGE BENEFIT) including: cardiovascular death, a non-fatal stroke, a non-fatal myocardial infarction, hospitalized unstable angina (including acute coronary syndrome), angioplasty , coronary bypass surgery, a pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis. This translates into at-risk postmenopausal women who did not restore there T levels to pre-menopausal levels were 233% more likely to suffer a CV event.

With 3656 women enrolled in the safety trial spanning over 5 years, it looks like any future trials have been significantly derisked, not a lock on final outcomes, but very reassuring. Incidentally, approx. 65% of the patient population in the trial suffered from Hypertension and Dyslipidemia and 21% suffered from Diabetes mellitus.

You can't hit a home run without swinging for the fences and this one would have no competition.

Where do we find "management executives" as dumb as the ones we have!!! $1.6 billion flushed right down the drain!! What do you bet that the idiots behind this mess get promoted or even a bigger bonus!!!

Heard Gonzo is going back to college and FORTUNATELY, the Board is wooing Dr. Leiden to return as our new CEO!! Let's hope Jeff Leiden will come back and right this in-bred management team!!

I can't wait for next years explanation on why our salary increase percentages are 3% or less. I would have thought once Rick survived his health scare he would have started to tell the truth. I was wrong !!

Heard Gonzo is going back to college and FORTUNATELY, the Board is wooing Dr. Leiden to return as our new CEO!! Let's hope Jeff Leiden will come back and right this in-bred management team!!

At least we know he has a degree !! In addition Miles ran Jeff off before but hopefully his sphere of influence has been diminished.

At least we know he has a degree !! In addition Miles ran Jeff off before but hopefully his sphere of influence has been diminished.

Miles didn't let Dr. Leiden clean out R&D and Marketing deadweight! Now we are leaving the legacy of this tragic mistake. Miles' ego didn't like the competition with Dr. Jeff. Light some candles for the Board to bring Dr. Leiden back! Otherwise, we are F'ed!

I heard that Ricky doesn't have any problem with paying the 1.6 billion because he's expecting a substantial payout based on an email he received from a Nigerian prince. Sure, he had to put up twice the amount from Abbvie's cash reserves as collateral, but it was an amazing business opportunity.

No, I think you should probably be worried. I was offered that same deal from a Nigerian Prince in my email and I jumped on it. Ricky and co were still sitting around in the boardroom eating donuts and "brainstorming". Now I am going to retire in Monte Carlo after a brief sojourn in Bora Bora while this place goes chapter 11. Don't forget to write your anonymous company reviews on glass door on your way out.

I think you guys are way too harsh on Little Ricardo. Look, it has been a great learning experience for a lot of people, especially Lil' Ricardo! He has to be smarter now than he was before.
He should take this increased knowledge base and help others advance his insight... I would suggest that the best position for him would be to go teach at the college he graduated from...
Oh, wait......
Never mind.