• Tue news: Regeneron fails to block Eylea biosimilar. Inside the GLP-1 price war. Novartis inks $1B biobucks deal. UCB/Biogen lupus drug. Lilly Alzheimer’s drug approved in Japan. See more on our front page

A few words of advice from an old timer: RTBKPL

RTBKPL

• RTBKPL   Jan 25, 2014 at 04:52: PM
This is NOT the end of the world folks, it's a new beginning for those who decide to look at it that way.

Your best bet is thru NETWORKING. Someone I knew, knew someone looking for someone with my devastating good looks, supreme intelligence and sex appeal and the rest is history.

Don't let anyone tell you that this or that industry doesn't hire drug reps. Google interview questions on the net and think of good answers, lock them into your memory and be ready to go. Keep yourself ready to interview, have a suit cleaned, shoes shined, shirt pressed and a new tie.....unless of course you are a girl and then act accordingly.

Have you resume ready to go and have extra copies when you interview. Get sealed copies of your college transcripts and have then available if asked for. Have narratives of any awards you have won. Make a sales binder to "sell yourself." Do your homework on any company that offers an interview. When they ask "do you have any questions for us" don't sit there like a ninny, ask questions, show them you have things under control. Close them for the job at the end of the interview process. Have your laptop with you and after the interview send an email to everyone with whom you interviewed thanking them for their time and reiterating your interest in the company. I did mine from a Starbucks 10 minutes after my first interview with the company that hired me, and for gosh sakes PROOFREAD IT.

I was shown the door three years ago at the age of 60 and I was happy as hell. After almost 25 years in the industry they were not able to "map" me to a new territory, lucky me. I did get interviews, I am sure that some didn't want to hire me because of my age but I was made offers by others, not what I was looking for. A few months later I was picked up by a small device company with nothing but upside potential.

Hang in there folks, keep your chin up, your eyes open and remember......

Never let the bastards get you down.

RTBKPL

<

This is NOT the end of the world folks, it's a new beginning for those who decide to look at it that way.

Your best bet is thru NETWORKING. Someone I knew, knew someone looking for someone with my devastating good looks, supreme intelligence and sex appeal and the rest is history.

Don't let anyone tell you that this or that industry doesn't hire drug reps. Google interview questions on the net and think of good answers, lock them into your memory and be ready to go. Keep yourself ready to interview, have a suit cleaned, shoes shined, shirt pressed and a new tie.....unless of course you are a girl and then act accordingly.

Have you resume ready to go and have extra copies when you interview. Get sealed copies of your college transcripts and have then available if asked for. Have narratives of any awards you have won. Make a sales binder to "sell yourself." Do your homework on any company that offers an interview. When they ask "do you have any questions for us" don't sit there like a ninny, ask questions, show them you have things under control. Close them for the job at the end of the interview process. Have your laptop with you and after the interview send an email to everyone with whom you interviewed thanking them for their time and reiterating your interest in the company. I did mine from a Starbucks 10 minutes after my first interview with the company that hired me, and for gosh sakes PROOFREAD IT.

I was shown the door three years ago at the age of 60 and I was happy as hell. After almost 25 years in the industry they were not able to "map" me to a new territory, lucky me. I did get interviews, I am sure that some didn't want to hire me because of my age but I was made offers by others, not what I was looking for. A few months later I was picked up by a small device company with nothing but upside potential.

Hang in there folks, keep your chin up, your eyes open and remember......

RTBKPL

25 years and you can't retire? Sounds like you let your self down. Are you a bastard?

No he's not. You must be a cold insensitive snot. If you think you can retire after 25 years in todays world, you must be delusional. Why don't you take some good advice, be a little wiser and a little less smarta**

No he's not. You must be a cold insensitive snot. If you think you can retire after 25 years in todays world, you must be delusional. Why don't you take some good advice, be a little wiser and a little less smarta**

Hey genius......did you ever consider.......before 25 years in the industry....he may have worked somewhere else??? Your right nobody could retire after 25 years and the work force now days. There are very few occupations that offer the opportunity to work for 25 years in the same job; and it will be increasingly harder moving forward. Good Luck to the young!

Genius you're not. You misspelled you're. You sound like a dumb young punk, have some respect jacktail. Get off the blog if you have nothing to contribute, which you don't. YOU'RE the one who said he should have been able to retire after 25 yrs. must be nice to be soooo smart. NOT!

The punk who thought anyone would want to retire after what ever number of years--the OP was only 60--why would you want to do nothing for the rest of your life? I suspect you are like the guys who spend all their free time watching cable TV and pretend they are informed. Most people want to go on until they can no longer contribute whether in a job or for charity. All can be had after this gig

• RTBKPL   Jan 26, 2014 at 10:16: AM
25 years and you can't retire? Sounds like you let your self down. Are you a bastard?

Yes my friend, I COULD have retired, I chose not to. Yes I could have started taking my Novartis pension and after 59 you can dip into your 401K. I choose to wait until 66 to start taking Social Insecurity and drawing my Novartis Pension which is to rise at 5 percent per year. At 66 you can continue to work without penalty towards SS which means I will be drawing max social security, my pension, my salary and bonus' at my current job and not have to depend on my 401K, Roth and private investments. My pension and SS will be more than most people make in a year….ad to that my salary and bonus' and I will be making a vulgar amount of money, again without touching my 401K or Roth. Men in my family typically live well into their 80's and you don't want to outlive your savings. My house is paid for, I have no bills….HAVE I LET MYSELF DOWN? I DONT THINK DO. And for the record, I can be a bastard at times.

RTBKPL

Yes my friend, I COULD have retired, I chose not to. Yes I could have started taking my Novartis pension and after 59 you can dip into your 401K. I choose to wait until 66 to start taking Social Insecurity and drawing my Novartis Pension which is to rise at 5 percent per year. At 66 you can continue to work without penalty towards SS which means I will be drawing max social security, my pension, my salary and bonus' at my current job and not have to depend on my 401K, Roth and private investments. My pension and SS will be more than most people make in a year….ad to that my salary and bonus' and I will be making a vulgar amount of money, again without touching my 401K or Roth. Men in my family typically live well into their 80's and you don't want to outlive your savings. My house is paid for, I have no bills….HAVE I LET MYSELF DOWN? I DONT THINK DO. And for the record, I can be a bastard at times.

RTBKPL

dont explain yourself to these jokers. However, hopefully someone in their 30 s will read this and maybe pay their house off or move to something smaller. its sound advice. I hope to bank my severance and live off what my wife makes. Then maybe use it to pay off some debt or bank it for my kids college fund.

anyone else with any good advice! Taxes or other wise?

Hi RTBKPL,
Are you single? I am several years younger than you, left Novartis 6 years ago for small pharma, left pharma a year ago for a sales/marketing position which I absolutely love. Your financial advice is great. I am financially independent. You sound like a great guy! In what part of the country do you live? I am in the east, mid- Atlantic. Meet for coffee sometime?

Hi RTBKPL,
Are you single? I am several years younger than you, left Novartis 6 years ago for small pharma, left pharma a year ago for a sales/marketing position which I absolutely love. Your financial advice is great. I am financially independent. You sound like a great guy! In what part of the country do you live? I am in the east, mid- Atlantic. Meet for coffee sometime?

This is cafepharma not match.com

An ex colleague told me that you were back on for a comment, RT. I was let go the same time as you. I was 66 so I was able to collect SS, my Novartis pension plus 4 other pensions, and I have my own business. I now make more per year than I did with Novartis, have none of the disgust that most of us had for the last few years we worked for Novartis. I suspect the same cocky punks that thought they were invincible in the last few down sizings will not hear what any of have to say, but looks like at least a couple of us have done very well

An ex colleague told me that you were back on for a comment, RT. I was let go the same time as you. I was 66 so I was able to collect SS, my Novartis pension plus 4 other pensions, and I have my own business. I now make more per year than I did with Novartis, have none of the disgust that most of us had for the last few years we worked for Novartis. I suspect the same cocky punks that thought they were invincible in the last few down sizings will not hear what any of have to say, but looks like at least a couple of us have done very well

I'm in the same group as both of you and you're absolutely correct. Even with a part-time job just to stay a bit busy, I'm making much more in retirement with my Novartis pension and Social Security. Haven't had to touch my IRA yet at 67 and have over 2.5 million in it. I took advantage of every benefit both my pre-merger company had and then what Novartis offered in terms of matching contributions etc. Put the max in every paycheck and just let it build.

I did though take all the money out of Fidelity when I left Novartis. I wanted to be in total control of my own money. I spend 1-2 hours a day reviewing the markets, use a professional advisor and work as a team with him. I'll probably start taking a little out this year when I completely retire just as a present for my wife and I. New car, a trip to Europe, etc. are all coming later this year and beyond.

The key is for young people to live below their means and desires while socking away the max allowed, not just the max matched by Novartis or any company. Do that for 30 years and you can retire in comfort and without worry.

• RTBKPL   Jan 27, 2014 at 07:44: AM
Hi RTBKPL,

Ah yes, COFFEE. Meet me at Starbucks. I'm not married but someone has their claws sunk into me and if she can't get over her fear of flying I'll have to cut her loose. I'll keep your offer in mind. Ever done a loop in a glider?

RTBKPL

• RTBKPL   Jan 27, 2014 at 07:46: AM

Well done my friend, best of luck to you.

RTBKPL