33% Reduction in Field Force by Jan. 2014

Anonymous

This will occur over the next 6 months and will be completed by 2014.

Most, if not all divisions will be affected. HSC's will also be highly affected.

Merck will streamline executive level positions and reduce redundant positions, ie; DCO and Executive Director of Sales....only need one person in that role!

This will start in a few weeks in July and slowly progress into Q4.

Severance is not great, but OK. Please have your resumes updated, as there really is no safe division to be in right now.

This reduction will not only affect those with poor sales performance, but also those in rural areas who will not relocate.

This a serious post from someone internal who actually cares about people within this organization. I am an 18 year employee at Merck, and this is the worst feeling I have ever had about this company!

The moral at HQ is horrible and it all stems from Januvia and Victrellis, but all will feel the pain shortly.

Good luck to you all.

<

Hmmmmm. An entire thread dedicated to HSC, then this mention of HSCs being highly affected. Can you please expand in HSC? Any specific groups, time lines?

No definitive time lines, however, the only consistent thing I'm hearing is within 6 months, and it affects all HSC's, not just in the weaker sales divisions.

This will happen shortly as I am exposed to a lot of Senior execs here at HQ.

Also, the 33% number is an average across Merck, however, some divisions will be less, and some more, unfortunately.

It is very sad actually, because I feel I am working in a morgue.

I will follow up if I have anything else to report.

Anything may happen. Right now there are many competitive reps out there. If Merck downsizes the salesforce near that 33% number, Market share and sales will plummet. Just look at the multiple reps promoting the same product from the same companies promoting against Merck. Doctors respond to that. It is blow to blow in the field. If you are a rep in the field you quickly understand that. It will cost Merck more in lost sales and share than the cost savings by cutting the field force.

Anything may happen. Right now there are many competitive reps out there. If Merck downsizes the salesforce near that 33% number, Market share and sales will plummet. Just look at the multiple reps promoting the same product from the same companies promoting against Merck. Doctors respond to that. It is blow to blow in the field. If you are a rep in the field you quickly understand that. It will cost Merck more in lost sales and share than the cost savings by cutting the field force.

Agree completely. They pull off good reps and put on newbie reps who are fresh off training they will lose big time...it will be down sales for at least 6 months or more then try to recoup from losses with competitors....losses will be beyond their comprehension!

Proof that the idiots remain at Merck.

Agree completely. They pull off good reps and put on newbie reps who are fresh off training they will lose big time...it will be down sales for at least 6 months or more then try to recoup from losses with competitors....losses will be beyond their comprehension!

not what the market research shows. Enjoy the layoff and I will enjoy laying you..off

yeah right. here's the same guy again threatening lay-offs trying to stir the pot. what a loser. this guys not been right for years on any one of these so called "lay-offs." Do your job, all it pretty good-especially if we start getting drugs. and we will

yeah right. here's the same guy again threatening lay-offs trying to stir the pot. what a loser. this guys not been right for years on any one of these so called "lay-offs." Do your job, all it pretty good-especially if we start getting drugs. and we will

yeah you will be getting drugs...its called xanax and prozac -good luck with that