• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

10,000 Lawsuits Over Bladder Cancer

Anonymous

Takeda May Face 10,000 Suits Over Actos Bladder-Cancer Claims
December 01, 2011, 5:35 PM EST

Dec. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Takeda Pharmaceutical Co., Asia’s biggest drugmaker, may face as many as 10,000 lawsuits in U.S. courts over allegations that its Actos diabetes drug causes bladder cancer, and a group of judges is preparing to decide where they should be consolidated.

U.S. regulators found in June that an analysis of a company-sponsored study showed some users of Actos, the world’s best-selling diabetes medication, faced an increased risk of developing the potentially fatal disease.

The evidence linking Actos to bladder cancer “is unusually strong and clear,” Paul J. Pennock, a New York-based lawyer representing former users of the drug, said in a telephone interview. He said his firm, Weitz & Luxemberg, represents 1,200 former Actos users and that total cases may reach 10,000.

“We are getting calls every day about Actos,” he said.

Pennock was set to appear today before a judicial panel in Savannah, Georgia, to argue that federal court suits over the drug, whose chemical name is pioglitazone, should be gathered for pretrial proceedings in Louisiana or Ohio.

Takeda officials this year pulled Actos, its top-selling drug, off the market in Germany and France after it was linked to an increased cancer risk. The medication had sales of 387.9 billion yen ($4.8 billion) in the last fiscal year, 27 percent of the Osaka, Japan-based company’s revenue.

The drugmaker declined to comment on the impact of the lawsuits to its earnings or whether it plans to set aside money for the litigation.

Company Statement

“Takeda already revised the information on risks regarding bladder cancer on leaflets in the U.S. and Japan and is in the process of updating in Europe,” Mitsuo Oguri, a Takeda spokesman in Tokyo, said yesterday by telephone. “Takeda remains confident on the efficacy of pioglitazone for treating type 2 diabetes, while it continues to monitor the safety profile of the medicine.”

The company’s lawyers said in a September court filing that so far it had been sued 54 times over Actos in federal courts around the U.S.

Terrence Allen, a warehouse worker, filed one of them, against Takeda and Eli Lilly & Co., which marketed Actos in the U.S. from July 1999 to March 2006. He took the drug over a five- year-period starting in 2006. He was diagnosed with bladder cancer in January.

Stefanie Prodouz, a spokeswoman for Indianapolis, Indiana- based Lilly, didn’t return calls for comment on the Actos suits naming the drugmaker as a defendant.

Cancer Operations

Allen, of Attica, New York, said he’s had two surgeries to remove cancerous tissue from his bladder and may be facing another after the Christmas holiday.

“If somebody had told me I could get cancer from Actos, I never would have taken it,” he said in a telephone interview. “There were other products out there that could have helped treat my diabetes without putting me through all of this.”

Allen, 57, said he sued the drugmaker to help alert other diabetics that Actos poses serious health risks. He’s also hoping the litigation will force Takeda to take responsibility for his injuries, he said.

“To some degree, I would like my pound of flesh from the company,” he said.

Plaintiffs’ lawyers say they expect thousands more former Actos users to join Allen in suing Takeda over the drug given its rise in popularity after GlaxoSmithKline Plc’s Avandia diabetes drug was found to pose an increased heart-attack risk.

Glaxo officials pulled the drug from European markets and curtailed sales in the U.S. in 2007 after studies found Avandia posed greater risk of heart attacks and strokes than Actos.

$6 Billion

The London-based drugmaker has paid more than $6 billion for legal costs tied to Avandia and other medicines. In the wake of Avandia’s problems, Actos’s sales rose from about $3 billion in 2006 to almost $5 billion last year.

Will Kemp, a Las Vegas-based attorney representing former Actos users, said the suits will differ from Avandia cases because the alleged injuries are more distinctive.

“Bladder cancer is considered to be a signature injury because there aren’t a lot of other things that cause that particular illness,” he said. “With a heart attack or stroke, you’d have a slew of other potential causes to deal with.”

Turner Branch, a New Mexico-based plaintiffs’ lawyer, said Takeda also will face claims that Actos caused heart attacks and strokes like Avandia. “I think this is going to be very large litigation with a large number of cases,” he added.

Before corralling the litigation in one court, judges on the so-called Multi-District Litigation panel will hear arguments today on which federal court should be selected.

Pretrial Steps

Similar cases in courts across the U.S. can be consolidated before one judge for pretrial exchange of information. The consolidation is intended to save money by streamlining document exchanges and avoiding duplication.

Lawyers for Takeda and some of the plaintiffs are arguing in court papers that the Actos suits should be consolidated in federal court before U.S. District Judge James Zagel in Chicago or before U.S. District Judge Rebecca Doherty in Lafayette, Louisiana.

Other plaintiffs’ attorneys are suggesting the cases be collected before U.S. District Judge Daniel Polster in Cleveland, according to court filings. Another group of lawyers seek to have the suits consolidated in federal court in Birmingham, Alabama.

Allen’s case is Terrence Allen v. Takeda Pharmaceuticals North America Inc., 11-cv-643, U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York (Buffalo).

--With assistance from David Voreacos in Newark, New Jersey, Margaret Cronin Fisk in Detroit, Kanoko Matsuyama in Tokyo, Albertina Torsoli in Paris and Molly Peterson in Washington. Editors: Charles Carter, Fred Strasser

To contact the reporter on this story: Jef Feeley in Wilmington, Delaware, at jfeeley@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Hytha at mhytha@bloomber

<

Yes, these people should be compensated. Keep in mind TAKEDA will always protect their company. These poor people have developed an incurable cancer with an outcome that is fatal. TAKEDA stop pushing this horrible drug.

Wow! It is one thing to lose billions of dollars in sales with Actos going generic, but it is going to sink our ship if we end up having to pay everything back that we have earned on Actos with lawsuit payouts!

Ho hum.

Imagine that. A bunch of sedentary, overweight type 2 diabetics jumping on board for a class action lawsuit against a multi billion dollar drug company. Who'd a thunk it? Never mind that the same patients probably would have ended up with bladder cancer at some point because patients with Type 2 are more likely to have bladder and pancreatic cancer. Face it people, this is about the lawyers. Actos does not cause a huge increase in bladder cancer. Smoking and being fat and inactive does but I don't see anyone putting down their smokes and BK Broilers. It's funny to see an attorney like the asshole from New York making statements like; the evidence linking Actos to bladder cancer "is unusually strong and clear." Really fuckwad? What medical school did you go to? Should we be surprised that the lawyers are getting phone calls every day? They only advertise at every commercial break during Judge Judy and Cheaters (awesome daytime entertainment for the non-working masses BTW). Free money people. Come and get it. Seriously?

Oh yeah. I almost forgot to mention the wisdom of Las Vegas based attorney Will Kemp when he stated; “Bladder cancer is considered to be a signature injury because there aren’t a lot of other things that cause that particular illness.” So true because nothing else has been linked as a cause of bladder cancer....well except for smoking, old age, male gender, sedentary lifestyle, high fat diet, obesity and..um...type 2 diabetes.

Kill the lawyers and you will improve the quality of and access to healthcare in America. Period.

Ho hum.

Imagine that. A bunch of sedentary, overweight type 2 diabetics jumping on board for a class action lawsuit against a multi billion dollar drug company. Who'd a thunk it? Never mind that the same patients probably would have ended up with bladder cancer at some point because patients with Type 2 are more likely to have bladder and pancreatic cancer. Face it people, this is about the lawyers. Actos does not cause a huge increase in bladder cancer. Smoking and being fat and inactive does but I don't see anyone putting down their smokes and BK Broilers. It's funny to see an attorney like the asshole from New York making statements like; the evidence linking Actos to bladder cancer "is unusually strong and clear." Really fuckwad? What medical school did you go to? Should we be surprised that the lawyers are getting phone calls every day? They only advertise at every commercial break during Judge Judy and Cheaters (awesome daytime entertainment for the non-working masses BTW). Free money people. Come and get it. Seriously?

What a nice little diatribe. I can see that at Takeda Pharmaceuticals it is all about helping patients from your post above. I hope you are not representative of the majoriity of Takeda employees. If you are then I say your company should pat BIG to those unfortunate individuals who took actos and developed bladder cancer.

What an unempathetic and uncaring individual you are. Shame on you. SHAME!

What a nice little diatribe. I can see that at Takeda Pharmaceuticals it is all about helping patients from your post above. I hope you are not representative of the majoriity of Takeda employees. If you are then I say your company should pat BIG to those unfortunate individuals who took actos and developed bladder cancer.

What an unempathetic and uncaring individual you are. Shame on you. SHAME![/

Sadly enough,this is representarive of what the "new Takeda" is all about,damage control!! They used to give a damn,but not anymore!!

There is truth to the above message. Many diabetes cases are the results of bad decisions in life. Now the rest of society is footing the bill via subsidization of the obese/smokers. They on average use up more in healthcare benefits than they pay into it in premiums. it takes healthy individuals to keep the premiums from rising too fast.

So get off your asses and get in shape if you're able. Most are.

What an unempathetic and uncaring individual you are. Shame on you. SHAME!

You are completely naive if you believe for a minute that these lawsuits are about helping poor unfortunate patients. These lawsuits are all about a bunch of people trying to jump on board and get paid. I do feel bad for the 0.10% of patients on Actos who develop bladder cancer. These lawsuits have nothing to do with "helping" anyone except the lawyers. The patients will walk away with a pittance while the attorneys get mega rich. The more people they get on board the more they stand to make.

You are completely naive if you believe for a minute that these lawsuits are about helping poor unfortunate patients. These lawsuits are all about a bunch of people trying to jump on board and get paid. I do feel bad for the 0.10% of patients on Actos who develop bladder cancer. These lawsuits have nothing to do with "helping" anyone except the lawyers. The patients will walk away with a pittance while the attorneys get mega rich. The more people they get on board the more they stand to make.

Amen, brother (or sister!). As much as I hate to see companies have to deal with wanton ambulance-chasing, there will be some justice when the fat slob sitting on his sofa all day wanting to become a millionaire gets his payday. The fat slob will get a voucher for $25.00 off his next Rx while the ambulance-chaser walks away with 80 million.

Diabetes Can Increase Risk of Bladder Cancer Recurring
A new study has claimed that having diabetes could heighten the chances of the recurrence of bladder cancer, as well as promoting its progression. The research argued that diabetes could be an independent predictor of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC) recurring or progressing. The study which involved 251 patients found that those who had diabetes when being treated for this form of bladder cancer faced a twofold increased risk of the disease recurring, and a ninefold increased risk of it progressing as compared with those patients who did not suffer from diabetes. It was also revealed that the diabetes patients tended to be older and have a higher rate of hypertension than the participants without diabetes. In addition, the patients with high A1c levels experienced a substantially greater risk of multiple tumors and had a lot more intravesical therapy carried out. International Journal of Urology Nov. 2011
Do the math

Does anyone know how many patients have taken Actos? The incidence of bladder cancer is 0.3% higher in Actos than placebo. If 300,000 have taken Actos then 900 patients would have had bladder cancer, statistically speaking; far less than the 10,000 plaintiffs that are crawling out of the trailer park. But of course those statistics mean nothing to a greedy plaintiffs' attorney and his greedy grifter client.

Wow. You are an ignorant piece of white trash.

Forgive me for being ignorant--I forgot to mention the Sokolove law firm and the other hundreds that appear upon a Google search of "Actos Lawsuit". We obviously differ in our definitions of white trash. In my book "white trash" is a bottom-feeding ambulance chaser who trawls for contigency agreements from un-injured naive clients and seeks class status in order to enrich him/herself. In fact, "white trash" is not strong enough for plantiffs' bar. "White trash piece of garbage" is closer to the mark.

The integration of TAP caused all of this. The True Takeda was pure until the infidels were allowed to plant their seed. Fire these f'en TAP people and all will be corrected. Watch the Daruma's pink eye will get better.

I think that every representative at Takeda or who had worked for Takeda realizes that the .10% increase minimizes the actual number of patients that it truly represents. The cummulative number of patients that have taken Actos numbers in the millions and that increase represents somewhere between 2 - 4K patients at a minimum and realistically is probably closer to 5-6k. The problem is that because there is now a demonstrated risk - we can't differentiate which case was caused by ACTOS and which was just a co-morbid condition as a result of the patient's disease progression, existing health environment, etc.

Despite your feelings for patients or the company - Takeda clearly holds some liability because they chose to market the product. The patient also holds some liability because to some degree they too contributed to getting the cancer - whether from simple genetics, environment, actions they took, etc. We tend to minimize the patient's liability because it is only influencing one person, while the company's negligence (even if unintended) is effecting millions. Thus unless the company can show with these patients a decisive cause for their cancer (which is highly unlikely) they would be wise to prepare settlements.

Lawyers certainly do aggravate the situation, but there is a purpose to their involvement. Legal action has to be punitive enough to encourage proactive concern for the safety of products. Sure there are always going to be people who take advantage of the system - but in general it is the threat of potential legal action that makes organizations do their due diligence. It works 95% of the time, 2.5% it catches organizations blindly, 2.5% it uncovers gross negligence that probably should have been avoided. If we didn't have lawyers pushing these lawsuits there would be nothing to stop the 1% of organizations that operate with little or no regard for the people they sell their products to.

Too bad for the patients who got bladder cancer, and too bad for Takeda - there are no winners here.

Does anyone know how many patients have taken Actos? The incidence of bladder cancer is 0.3% higher in Actos than placebo. If 300,000 have taken Actos then 900 patients would have had bladder cancer, statistically speaking; far less than the 10,000 plaintiffs that are crawling out of the trailer park. But of course those statistics mean nothing to a greedy plaintiffs' attorney and his greedy grifter client.

Give me a break - there have been millions of patients who have taken Actos over the lifetime of the drug. Also, why are these people all of a sudden "trailer trash"? I suppose you think that getting bladder cancer is like getting getting a cold or something. You are naive if you think that all these people are money-grabbers. The bigger farce here is the amount of money you are paid to do absolutely nothing (and I am a rep in the industry - look in the mirror and you'll know this is true).

Thank you poster #19, yes I am a rep and have lost a loved one to bladder cancer, takinig Actos. We are not white trash nor trailor trash as some posters would say. It is what it is...hopeful for all involved!