• Fri news: Iterum’s UTI drug. Edwards layoffs. Zenas BioPharma IPO. GSK’s Nucala hits COPD target. Pharma layoff stories. See more on our front page

Calloway soon to be out of business

...and the punchline of this tremendous joke is that Cordant Health Solutions is welcoming the refugees of this failed company with open arms!!!!
Sounds like Cordant's leadership and Calloway's are a perfect match.
If only I could be that smart.

...and the punchline of this tremendous joke is that Cordant Health Solutions is welcoming the refugees of this failed company with open arms!!!!
Sounds like Cordant's leadership and Calloway's are a perfect match.
If only I could be that smart.

They pulled this feat off twice. Killed off two labs successfully in short order.

Two to the chest, one to the head, killed both the labs, deader than dead.

LYNN, Mass., Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Willow Laboratories announced today that it has been acquired by Ampersand Capital Partners. Willow is one of the country's leading clinical and forensic toxicology laboratories providing urine, hair, and saliva testing services to a wide range of healthcare providers including treatment centers, physician practices, and other laboratories. Using state-of-the-art technology, Willow provides qualitative and quantitative alcohol and drugs-of-abuse test results to aid clients in the diagnosis and treatment of substance abuse.

Gail Marcus has joined Willow as president and chief executive officer. Ms. Marcus has significant experience building successful healthcare service organizations and was recently CEO of Caris Diagnostics, (now Miraca Life Sciences), a national diagnostic pathology laboratory.

Ms. Marcus also serves as president and CEO of Calloway Laboratories, which recently signed a definitive agreement to be acquired by Ampersand. She commented, "I am excited to be working with the Willow and Calloway management teams and look forward to sharing strengths and resources across the companies in order to provide clients the most-complete set of toxicology lab services available in the marketplace."

Jared Bartok, general partner at Ampersand, commented that "Willow is another key piece of our strategy to invest in the multi-billion dollar toxicology lab industry. With the infusion of additional capital and management resources, Willow is well positioned to capitalize on future growth opportunities in the substance abuse market while implementing a zero tolerance compliance policy."

Cordant Health System in talks for possible sale. You guys put a total shit on toxicology testing with your "here's my instant POC, send me all your confirms" business profile. Then confirm all panels. How can any of you sleep at night? I am sure you cashed checks but now are so sorry the company that you had so much regard for is defunct. YOU are the fools and the upper management is safe and somewhere in Florida soaking up rays. Didn't anyone question the practice?

Cordant Health System in talks for possible sale. You guys put a total shit on toxicology testing with your "here's my instant POC, send me all your confirms" business profile. Then confirm all panels. How can any of you sleep at night? I am sure you cashed checks but now are so sorry the company that you had so much regard for is defunct. YOU are the fools and the upper management is safe and somewhere in Florida soaking up rays. Didn't anyone question the practice?

Actually, that is the San Diego lab model.

That does sound like another lab.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, YOU OLD BUILDING AND NONPERFORMING LOAN!

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2745875-medley-capital-credit-quality-issues-surface

Our concerns were validated yesterday on the release of Fiscal 4Q14 financial results, which showed a marked decline in credit quality.

F4Q14 Portfolio Events

There were several notable credit events in the quarter. First, three names were put on non-accrual: These include Calloway Laboratories, Exide Technologies (OTCPK:XIDEQ), and Water Capital. Both Calloway and Exide were on our Medley Capital Credit Watch List. We covered the history of Calloway extensively, noting the multiple restructurings.

Happy New Year again, former CEO and CFO.

Most of us have found better work and better pay. Too damn bad you and your hr director did not think we were worth it. Turns out we were worth more than the lies you were handing out to us.

Abject cowardice, after abject failure, caused by blind greed.

Happy New Year again, former CEO and CFO.

Most of us have found better work and better pay. Too damn bad you and your hr director did not think we were worth it. Turns out we were worth more than the lies you were handing out to us.

Abject cowardice, after abject failure, caused by blind greed.

Robin did have a large part in the demise of the company. She and Gail restructured compensation in the lab, and we had a 65% employee turnover in the confirmation lab in the next 12 months. By 18 months, most everyone was gone, replaced by very nice people, who knew next to little about LC/MS/MS. Employees who had been there only two weeks were training new employees. No wonder CLIA investigated them, and shut them down.

"WE SAVED CALLOWAY SO MUCH MONEY IN WAGES!"

Stupid is as stupid does.

P
They pulled this feat off twice. Killed off two labs successfully in short order.

LYNN, Mass., Nov. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Willow Laboratories announced today that it has been acquired by Ampersand Capital Partners. Willow is one of the country's leading clinical and forensic toxicology laboratories providing urine, hair, and saliva testing services to a wide range of healthcare providers including treatment centers, physician practices, and other laboratories. Using state-of-the-art technology, Willow provides qualitative and quantitative alcohol and drugs-of-abuse test results to aid clients in the diagnosis and treatment of substance abuse.

Gail Marcus has joined Willow as president and chief executive officer. Ms. Marcus has significant experience building successful healthcare service organizations and was recently CEO of Caris Diagnostics, (now Miraca Life Sciences), a national diagnostic pathology laboratory.

Ms. Marcus also serves as president and CEO of Calloway Laboratories, which recently signed a definitive agreement to be acquired by Ampersand. She commented, "I am excited to be working with the Willow and Calloway management teams and look forward to sharing strengths and resources across the companies in order to provide clients the most-complete set of toxicology lab services available in the marketplace."

Jared Bartok, general partner at Ampersand, commented that "Willow is another key piece of our strategy to invest in the multi-billion dollar toxicology lab industry. With the infusion of additional capital and management resources, Willow is well positioned to capitalize on future growth opportunities in the substance abuse market while implementing a zero tolerance compliance policy."

Corner office for Gail. Check
Actual converted janitorial closet for Lab Director(s) Check

Reciprocal respect between CEO and Lab Director(s) null
Resulting employee respect for CEO. null
Fail
Wharton School of Business, my ass

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them." --Ernest Hemingway

She never trusted those that disagreed with her, and never took the time to understand the science. She sure was a sucker for bullshit though.

The day Shelob fired Angel to save money, is the day the die was cast.

What’s WARN Act?
Generally, WARN requires certain employers or businesses to give workers 60 days advance written notice of a plant closing or a “mass layoff.” The law doesn’t apply to all employers, but generally only to those with at least 100 employees. And, it doesn’t apply to all employees, either.

WARN’s notice requirement is intended to give you time to cope with the idea of losing your job, to look for another job, and to get new skills or retraining to help you compete in the job market.

Covered Employees
Regular, full-time workers are covered by WARN, meaning they’re the workers who are used to determine if the WARN notice provisions are triggered. There are several kinds of employees who are not covered, such as:

• Part-time employees. These are workers who are employed less than 20 hours per week or for less than six of the last 12 months
  • Workers who are on strike or who’ve been “locked out” in a dispute between the employer and a labor union
  • Temporary workers, that is, workers who were hired to do a specific task or project and knew that their employment wasn’t permanent
Just because you’re a part-time employee doesn’t mean that you don’t benefit from WARN. If there is in fact a covered layoff or closing, discussed below, then you too have to be given advance notice of it.

Triggering WARN
An employer has to let you know at least 60 days in advance of any:

• Plant closing. This is when an “employment site,” or part of a site, is shut down and causes an “employment loss” for 50 or more employees during any 30-day period
  • Mass layoff. This is a reduction in force (RIF) that causes an employment loss at a single site during any 30-day period of at least: (1) 500 employees, or; (2) 50 to 499 workers if they make up at least 33% of the employer’s workforce
An employment site can be a building or department, or a group of buildings, like a campus. Employment loss means: (1) Your employment was terminated, but it doesn’t include if you’re fired “for cause,” like for disciplinary reasons, voluntarily quitting or retiring; (2) You’re laid-off for more than 6 months, or; (3) Your work hours are reduced more than 50% in each month of a six-month period.

Plant closings and layoffs are the most common events that trigger WARN. However, you may be entitled to WARN notice when the employer makes several waves of layoffs over a 90-day period or if a plant is relocated.

What’s in the Notice and Its Purpose
WARN has detailed rules on what a WARN notice must contain and who has to get it. Hourly and salaried employees and managerial and supervisory staff must be given notice. Business partners, consultants, and contract workers don’t, however. The notice itself is supposed to contain details about the closing or layoff, like when it will happen and whether it’s permanent.

In addition to giving you time to look for a new job, the WARN notice kicks in the services of the dislocated worker unit in your state. This unit is responsible for getting you tools and resources to help you find another job, such as:

• Information about the current job market, such as which industries are and aren’t hiring
  • Job search and placement services
  • Help with writing your resume and preparing for interviews
  • Assistance in finding and paying for retraining or education courses
Penalties
If you don’t get the required WARN notice, you may be able to recover back pay and benefits for the period of violation, up to 60 days. Also, if you have to hire an attorney to file a lawsuit because of your employer’s failure to follow WARN, your employer may have to pay your court costs and attorney’s fees.

State WARN
Many states have their own WARN statutes, and they can vary significantly from the federal WARN Act. For example, in some states, like New York, you may be entitled to 90 days advance notice of a mass layoff or plant closing. So, if you’re being laid off or if your plant is closing, be sure to check the laws in your area, or talk to an experienced employment law attorney, to make sure you get all of the benefits you’re entitled to.

Questions for Your Attorney
  • I found a new but lower-paying job after getting a WARN notice from my old employer. It’s now opening a new plant. Does it have to offer me a job at the plant?
  • If I’m laid off for eight months like my WARN notice says and I’m only allowed to get unemployment compensation for 6 months, what am I supposed to for money for the other two months?
  • I was on maternity leave when my company announced a plant closing. I didn’t get a WARN notice. Wasn’t I supposed to get one?
  • I mailed all 150 WARN notices on the same day, and all but five workers received the notice within 60 days of a planned layoff. Can they sue me for not giving notice within the required time?

On October 16, 2015, Outten & Golden filed suit against Calloway Laboratories, Inc. (“Calloway”) seeking to recover 60 days wages and benefits for former employees under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (“WARN”) Act. We contend Calloway ordered mass layoffs on or about October 16, 2015, without providing its employees with advance written notice. The case is pending in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts.

If this mass layoff affected you, Outten & Golden LLP can provide you with updated information regarding your rights in this case. Generally, the WARN Act requires companies to provide their employees with 60 days written notice in advance of a mass layoff or plant closing. In the absence of such notice, employers may be liable to each affected employee for 60 days wages and benefits.

Change of address and/or telephone - please contact us at:

OUTTEN & GOLDEN LLP
3 Park Avenue, 29th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Toll Free: 1-877-4-OUTTEN
Telephone: 212-245-1000
Facsimile: 646-509-2070
Email Us

To contact us regarding this matter, please call 1-877 4-OUTTEN and ask for René Roupinian or email her.

For more information regarding the WARN Act, visit our WARN Act website.

Robin did have a large part in the demise of the company. She and Gail restructured compensation in the lab, and we had a 65% employee turnover in the confirmation lab in the next 12 months. By 18 months, most everyone was gone, replaced by very nice people, who knew next to little about LC/MS/MS. Employees who had been there only two weeks were training new employees. No wonder CLIA investigated them, and shut them down.

"WE SAVED CALLOWAY SO MUCH MONEY IN WAGES!"

Stupid is as stupid does.

Still being stupid:

ORDER: TEMPORARY RESTRAINING ORDER: FOR GOOD CAUSE SHOWN, the plaintiff, Cummings Properties, LLC ("Cummings") has shown (i) a likelihood of success on the merits of the claim that Calloway Laboratories, Inc.'s removal of leasehold improvements (as defined in Section 27 of the commercial lease between the parties) is improper; (ii) that Cummings will suffer irreparable harm to its real estate if Calloway is not enjoined from removing the leasehold improvements; and (iii) that the risk of irreparable harm tom Cummings outweighs the potential harm to Calloway in granting the injunction. See Boston Police Patrolmen's Ass'n, Inc. V. Police Department of Boston, 446 Mass. 46, 49 (2006). Accordingly, the defendant, Calloway Laboratories, Inc. is hereby enjoined from the removal of any leasehold improvements as defined in Section 27 of the commercial lease, and is ordered to maintain the status quo with regard to such leasehold improvements pending further order of this Court. Endorsement: ALLOWED, ex parte, as a temporary restraining order. Motion for Preliminary Injunction to be heard on 11/12/15 at 2:00 p.m. in the "A" Session, Room 710 (Billings, J.).

ORDER: ORDER MODIFYING TEMPORARY RESTRAINING ORDER: As announced at today's hearing: 1. The Temporary Restraining Order entered on November 3, 2015, enjoining the defendant ("Calloway") "from the removal of any leasehold improvements as defined in Section 27 of the commercial lease, and ... to maintain the status quo with regard to such leasehold improvements pending further order of this Court" is hereby modified as follows: 2. Calloway may sell, remove and/or deliver to buyers or to a secure storage facility the items listed on Exhibit A to the Declaration of Gail Marcus. 3. The proceeds of any such sale are to be placed in escrow in a client funds account of Foley, Hoag & Eliot, and retained there until further order of the Court. 4. The Temporary Restraining Order will otherwise remain in effect until the hearing on the plaintiff's motion for preliminary injunction on November 12, 2015 at 2:00 p.m. in Courtroom 710 of the Woburn Superior Court. 5. Calloway shall forthwith notify all persons or entities whom it knows or believes to have a security interest in any or all of the items listed on Exhibit A to the Declaration of Gail Marcus, and shall provide them with copies of (at least) (a) the Complaint, (b) the Marcus declaration and list, and (c) this Order. Such persons or entities shall be permitted, upon motion, to intervene in this action and to assert any claims they may have to the aforesaid items or proceeds thereof (Billings, J.). Dated 11/5/15. Faxed on 11/6/15 and copies mailed.

ORDER: ON DEFENDANT'S MOTION FOR JUDGMENT ON THE PLEADINGS: ORDER: After a hearing, and upon consideration of the written submissions and the oral arguments of the parties, the defendants Motion for Judgment on the pleadings is DENIED. It is hereby ORDERED that the preliminary injunction that is currently in effect, including the requirement that the proceed s of the sale of items identified in Exhibit A to the Declaration of Gail Marcus, continue to be held in escrow by counsel to Calloway laboratories, Inc., until such time as the Court has been able to adjudicate which items, if any, constitute leasehold improvements, pursuant to Section 27 of the lease. Dated: January 4, 2016

Knock, Knock.

Mark Wahlberg’s upcoming motion picture Patriots’ Day filmed in Woburn on April 1. CBS Films contracted with Cummings Properties to use office space on the fourth floor of 12 Gill Street to shoot a scene for the film about the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, according to Cummings Properties leasing manager Ed Silvey.

The Gill Street building and much of its parking lot was a flurry of activity with equipment and trailers on site Thursday and Friday. One lucky Cummings staff member, custodian Rob O’Keeffe, even had a close encounter with actor Kevin Bacon, who plays an FBI agent in the film.

Go Rob!!!