You can't disagree with the facts

Anonymous

AZ has had one failure after the next with just about every product we have launched.

Most all of our products are 2nd or 3rd to the market.

IT is surely the worst in the industry.

Marketing and training is overflowing with incompetence.

Yeah we kept our jobs (at least for now) but we are also still stuck working for the same old crappy non innovative company.

Facts?

Prilosec was a blockbuster
Seroquel was a blockbuster
Nexium was a blockbuster
Symbicort was a blockbuster
Crestor was a blockbuster
Diprivan was a blockbuster
Arimidex was a blockbuster
Nolvadex was a blockbuster
Tenormin was a blockbuster
Toprol was a blockbuster
Zestril was a blockbuster
Bupivacaine was a blockbuster

I'm sure I've missed a few. In 'fact' there are not that many companies with a history of so many blockbusters, so yes, I can disagree with your 'facts' Mr. Misanthrope.

Facts?

Nexium was a blockbuster
Toprol was a blockbuster

I'm sure I've missed a few. In 'fact' there are not that many companies with a history of so many blockbusters, so yes, I can disagree with your 'facts' Mr. Misanthrope.

Dear Dream Weaver (I've just closed my eyes again Climbed aboard the dream weaver train Driver take away my worries of today And leave tomorrow behind).

I sold most of those above products and I can assure you those were NOT blockbusters, especially when you factor in the competition. We got spanked in every class. Now go take your AZ Kool-Aid someplace else.

Facts?

Nexium was a blockbuster
Toprol was a blockbuster

(NOT the OP)
Yes, these were blockbusters one and all, but all of them came from before the AZ merger, although a couple of them were actually launched after the merger. Nothing of consequence has been done since then, unless this new batch of candidates that the CEO is currently touting come through as winners. It is hard to argue against the destructive force on pipelines of giant mergers.

Facts?

Nexium was a blockbuster
Toprol was a blockbuster

"WAS" this the best descriptive word for AZ meaning past tense. Always late to the market and always the company who comes up with a me too.

"WAS" this the best descriptive word for AZ meaning past tense. Always late to the market and always the company who comes up with a me too.
Exactly, How many of these blockbusters are now generic? Case closed. Nexium was Prilosec with gold rings on the capsule. Symbicort was a combination of generic compounds.
Crestor might be called a blockbuster that actually came after the merger, but it still got its ass kicked in the class. Let me remind you that the merger took place in 2000. So that is 14 fucking years of one failure after another.

Exactly, How many of these blockbusters are now generic? Case closed. Nexium was Prilosec with gold rings on the capsule. Symbicort was a combination of generic compounds.
Crestor might be called a blockbuster that actually came after the merger, but it still got its ass kicked in the class. Let me remind you that the merger took place in 2000. So that is 14 fucking years of one failure after another.

ALL out so called "blockbusters" are outdated, me too and compete against leaders in the generic market.

Crestor???? has NEVER been a blockbuster but rather a bottom feeder. I guess some people were not around when Pfizer beat us down like the skinny kid bullied on the playground.

ALL out so called "blockbusters" are outdated, me too and compete against leaders in the generic market.

Crestor???? has NEVER been a blockbuster but rather a bottom feeder. I guess some people were not around when Pfizer beat us down like the skinny kid bullied on the playground.

In Pharmaceuticals...Blockbuster is a term used to denote a drug that does at least 1 billion dollars of sales. So yes. Crestor is/was a blockbuster drug.

Crestor was actually licensed in by Zeneca before the merger, but it was launched several years after the merger due to delays in approval caused by adverse events at what was then the highest dose, which ultimately proved to be an unsafe dose. Pfizer made hay with that info, saying that Crestor was unsafe period. No more so than Lipitor!

AZ has had one failure after the next with just about every product we have launched.

Most all of our products are 2nd or 3rd to the market.

IT is surely the worst in the industry.

Marketing and training is overflowing with incompetence.

Yeah we kept our jobs (at least for now) but we are also still stuck working for the same old crappy non innovative company.

The only fact that matters is that you kept your jobs. You do not have control over anything else. Quit your whining, please.

What about those purple jelly beans and the ever successful Customer Solutions Team?
Two classic contributions from the Astra- Merck franchise. Brilliant stuff that.

George Freeman CNN

"...to understand why, you need to understand the sector. Having worked for fifteen years in the industry -- not for "Big Pharma," but for insurgent biotech companies and charities, who are increasingly the ones discovering most of the new medicines -- the controversy over the proposed merger (Pfizer/AZ) was fascinating.

It highlighted fundamental issues at the heart of the revolution transforming the pharmaceutical industry.

The truth is that "Big Pharma" is failing to develop enough new medicines. Their old business model -- dependent on producing a steady pipeline of expensive "blockbuster" drugs to sell to Western governments -- is broken.

Instead, these companies have now become reliant on the smaller and more innovative biotechs (and increasingly charities) to fill their pipelines with a new world of genetically targeted medicines."

George Freeman CNN

"...to understand why, you need to understand the sector. Having worked for fifteen years in the industry -- not for "Big Pharma," but for insurgent biotech companies and charities, who are increasingly the ones discovering most of the new medicines -- the controversy over the proposed merger (Pfizer/AZ) was fascinating.

It highlighted fundamental issues at the heart of the revolution transforming the pharmaceutical industry.

The truth is that "Big Pharma" is failing to develop enough new medicines. Their old business model -- dependent on producing a steady pipeline of expensive "blockbuster" drugs to sell to Western governments -- is broken.

Instead, these companies have now become reliant on the smaller and more innovative biotechs (and increasingly charities) to fill their pipelines with a new world of genetically targeted medicines."

That's predictably what happens if you don't invest any more in R&D, only in marketing. Eventually the pipe does go dry. The financials do very look good in the quarter right before it does go dry though. The new model is to buy the "insurgent biotech" and then cut cost to the point that they will never discover another.

I'm by no means a Kool Aid drinker, but there is a lot of stupidity on this thread.

Who in pharma doesn't know what a "blockbuster drug" is? As stated, a billion dollar a year drug is a blockbuster. There are few companies, if any, that have had more blockbuster products than AZ. Maybe Pfizer....

In terms of strong pipelines, AZ's is unmatched. I don't know if you realize how much money $119 BILLION dollars is; but offers like that aren't just thrown around in ANY industry, much less pharma.

Yes, AZ is not a perfect company, has made mistakes and not every product has been a success; but name another pharma company with AZ's success that hasn't had some duds?