Why Dental sales bad reputation? Income?

Anonymous

I also posted this on the dental board, but I thought I'd get interesting and insightful replies here too. From someone talking to both medical and dental sales companies, why does dental sales have such a bad reputation for not being "real sales" from people in medical sales? Your selling basically the same types of products; instruments, implants, disposables, services... You're just selling to dentist who have to pay versus hospital's who have contracts and dealing with insurance reimbursement like medical? Also, I know medical sales income/ commission has been on the decline the last 5 years; seems like dental went through this years ago, but why, if they are not dealing with the hospitals and insurance, was it such a large decline?

<

Who cares what is "real sales," according to some medical sales people the only real sales are when you push your new product into a hospital and provide clinical case support to a surgeon all while fighting off other reps with swords and ninja stars. Sales is Sales is Sales......I only go to cases to shoot the shit with my doc buddies and I have nothing to prove...only money to make. Dental sales typically has a lower income ceiling but can be very rewarding for you both financially and your QOL. I only know 1 dental rep who has been at the same position for 9 years now. He makes roughly 160-200k/yr and plays golf so much he could turn pro.

Who cares what is "real sales," according to some medical sales people the only real sales are when you push your new product into a hospital and provide clinical case support to a surgeon all while fighting off other reps with swords and ninja stars. Sales is Sales is Sales......I only go to cases to shoot the shit with my doc buddies and I have nothing to prove...only money to make. Dental sales typically has a lower income ceiling but can be very rewarding for you both financially and your QOL. I only know 1 dental rep who has been at the same position for 9 years now. He makes roughly 160-200k/yr and plays golf so much he could turn pro.

You probably know the same guy I do from NJ! Actually he has been in Dental for 20+ years, makes 400+ and is a member of a very expensive private club that costs more than most people make.

OP who gives a fuck what people think? Frankly those who look down on dental probably just couldn't get in. Get the job do well and then see what you think. As a hiring manager in device i would hire a dental guy over a schmuck with just b2b or pharma. Good luck

He's in Pa but you had the northeast right. I would say dental tops at 4-500k and medical tops at 800k-1.2mil...however I would say the avg dental rep honestly makes more than the avg device rep.

OP here, looking into the crystal ball, 5-10 years down the road. Will medical still offer a higher earning ceiling, will they be about the same or will both probably decline about the same percentage? I know it's guessing and a lot of variables that haven't even been discovered yet, but curious from people who have been it awhile and have a grasp of the trends. I'm looking long term, not just cashing in for a year or two. Great info by the way, thanks!

I have been in dental implant sales for the past 5 years and can tell you that you will most likely cap at 120k if you are lucky. Dentists for the most part are cheap and you are selling a lower price point that other device sales. Twice the door knocking! Other guys who are making big money (VERY RARE) are in a territory that is established and working for companies like Patterson or Henry Schein selling everything from gloves to cone beams. I can only speak for myself obviously, but I am leaving for an opportunity in upper extremities.

I have been in dental implant sales for the past 5 years and can tell you that you will most likely cap at 120k if you are lucky. Dentists for the most part are cheap and you are selling a lower price point that other device sales. Twice the door knocking! Other guys who are making big money (VERY RARE) are in a territory that is established and working for companies like Patterson or Henry Schein selling everything from gloves to cone beams. I can only speak for myself obviously, but I am leaving for an opportunity in upper extremities.

The person who I said makes 400k works for Patterson and sells everything including a ton of computer shit. Been there about as long as I have been alive.

I was in dental for a decade, including implants for 5, before jumping to med device. To say dental sales doesn't count is ridiculous. One could argue that a busy device rep is so busy covering cases that he's not truly selling too. The obvious cons of dental is that 99% of reps will never make more than $120k, and a lot of the shittier jobs (calling on hygienists and what not) will never sniff six figures. The obvious upside is a great QOL, no hospital/GPO bullshit, and a simpler selling cycle without the political wrangling.

As for device, so far i love it. It's 10x more complex and competitive than dental implants, but it's a lifestyle and not a job. Case coverage dictates my QOL which sucks, but the pay is on par with the increase in responsibility.

At the end of the day, 90%+ of society would kill for the money we ALL make (most of which do so without a prestigious major or degree). Shut the fuck up, be smart with your money, and dont be resentful of others' success.

I worked in dental selling to dentists, oral surgeons, and orthodontist. Dealt with universities and hospitals in addition to private practices. Very very boring and not mentally challenging, but you're quality of life is definitely better. Hardly anyone I knew in the industry truly topped 100k unless they were in management. Pay isn't what people claim it is.. Much lower than you'd expect. I work in med device and make much more now and enjoy the complexity of the job. The trade off is I work way more than I did in dental. The hardest part about dental is dealing with limited hours dentists work/keep their practices open. Most are only open a few days a wk for just a few short hours (hence why you don't work long hours in dental sales). Also, the field is notrotious for price shoppers, a lot of dentists are turning to cheap online companies to order the bulk of their product.

Dental- felt as if I was becoming "dumber" and job was very uninteresting/not challenging so hard to stay motivated (ESP when pay isn't grand), yet hours were great

Med device- more satisfying and mentally stimulating work, greater earning potential, longer hours