Which companies work from Xmas to New Year's (Abbott employee)

Doctors and their offices find it bizarre when reps work the last week of the year?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Anonymous

I'm an Abbott representative and although my company was "generous" enough to give us the 24th off, if I wanted to spend time with my family over the holidays beyond that, I would have needed to take PTO. I didn't because we have such limited PTO in the first place, and I was the only rep out there (as told to me by office staff and doctors).

I was just wondering what companies do/do not get off during this time of the year, which is (IMO), the most ABSURD time of the year to work. Have us do admin stuff, prep for the year, or just be a decent human company and build good will give us this one week off as so many other do!

You should have taken the time to talk about your product, instead of being a whiny baby. Your offices would have remembered that. Instead, they're going to remember you coming in and complaining about having to work.

Besides, there are a lot of companies who do NOT give this week off, because it is prime time to get the attention of the staff.

Been with seven companies and only one did not give everyone four days to a week off in between Christmas and January 2. Not to sound nasty, but you should have taken the PTO. Do you really think that one week spent working is going to make any difference at all in your sales? Unless you had an appointment with a HUGE thought leader, I would have blown off the week.

You should have taken the time to talk about your product, instead of being a whiny baby. Your offices would have remembered that. Instead, they're going to remember you coming in and complaining about having to work.

Besides, there are a lot of companies who do NOT give this week off, because it is prime time to get the attention of the staff.

That is a funny one, getting the attention of the staff.

Just another reason why your industry does not sell a dam thing. See, in real sales, your customers actually take the time to talk to you.

As for the OP, you should have saved your time, and too it off during this time, which should be time to spend with family and friends and give thanks for all you have, which is mostly a job that pays well for faking it all day.

Wait a minute. Those same "doctors and offices" are working the week between Christmas and New Year, why should they care or think differently about others (including drug reps) working during that time?

Now, yes, a lot of key doctors are gone ... but so are a lot of company managers, etc.

A friend of mine used to tell me, never take vacation when your manager is on vacation. Having the manager gone is like a week of vacation while working.

So when you went to work for Abbott, what made you think they were a decent "human" company to work for?
Go look for a better company, if your sales are up right now.

That is a funny one, getting the attention of the staff.

Just another reason why your industry does not sell a dam thing. See, in real sales, your customers actually take the time to talk to you.

As for the OP, you should have saved your time, and too it off during this time, which should be time to spend with family and friends and give thanks for all you have, which is mostly a job that pays well for faking it all day.
I was in "real sales" and this is complete smug bs.