When did you leave Pharma?

anonymous

I have been unhappy in Pharma for many years and am trying to decide when enough is enough. If you got out, what finally did it for you and where did you land? Did you have to completely start your career over or were you able to use your Pharma career to land your next job?

I have been unhappy in Pharma for many years and am trying to decide when enough is enough. If you got out, what finally did it for you and where did you land? Did you have to completely start your career over or were you able to use your Pharma career to land your next job?

Was harassed out by my manager when I was 50...Constant field visits and other psychological torment that I had no recourse for.

I was 23 years in the business with all the silly awards, promotions, etc...It doesn't matter when they want you
out.

Got a few bottom feeder sales jobs afterwards, but was never able to recover professionally or financially.

Saved well so while I didn't end up on the street, I had to sell my home, and dramatically curtail the lifestyle
that the evil pharma industry had given me. Still, looking back on it, I am glad I got out...It probably saved my physical and psychological health.

Thank you for such an honest answer. I am realizing the toll that this industry has taken on me over the years and am trying to figure out how to pave a new, healthier career path for myself.

Was harassed out by my manager when I was 50...Constant field visits and other psychological torment that I had no recourse for.

I was 23 years in the business with all the silly awards, promotions, etc...It doesn't matter when they want you
out.

Got a few bottom feeder sales jobs afterwards, but was never able to recover professionally or financially.

Saved well so while I didn't end up on the street, I had to sell my home, and dramatically curtail the lifestyle
that the evil pharma industry had given me. Still, looking back on it, I am glad I got out...It probably saved my physical and psychological health.

As of 2019, no longer work in Pharma. 16 years of it and experienced the industry's decline. Laid-off for a final time and decided not to go back - had enough of the industry and it's craziness. Working in a different field, with lower compensation, however the work is very rewarding and meaningful, and I have job security that I never had in Pharma.

I have been out for about 15 years after 20 years of schlepping samples. I knew the job was not real sales when I did it, and looking back, I realize that it was not fulfilling, but it was the perfect job at the time. My kids were born during those 20 years and I became a single father. That is what made it perfect. If I couldn't do the job in 20 hours a week, and do it well, I was doing something wrong. I never did it wrong. So, I had plenty of time with my young kids.

I have never recommended the job to anyone.

I've been out of the industry for three years now. I steered my daughter away from it. She also was witness to the stress that her father endured over the years due to bad management, layoffs, and periods of unemployment. She took my advice and went into Tech sales where she has a great job today and is making a solid six-figure salary. Once upon a time, being a Pharma rep was seen as a glamorous job, and it did deliver in many ways. It hasn't been like that for a very long time. These days, informed parents don't let their kids grow up to be drug reps.

It is a very tragic existence.

I was one of the stubborn ones that was downsized 7 times and still didn't know when to quit.

Bad decision to stay in the industry.

Although I met some good people, the job just takes its toll once you reach an age of maturity and understanding of the world. I really don't see how mature, intelligent people, into their 50s or 60s, can do this job with any enthusiasm. Sure, the money is good, and that is a great reason to keep doing it, but at the end of the day, your soul will rot because you are selling pills that do more harm than good and making these companies billions of dollars, at the cost to gullible consumers who trust incompetent doctors. I think the "19" scam the last few years proved that the medical community lacks integrity.

So, after about two decades, I took my skills into the teaching field and enjoy what I do. Best part is that I have summers off, and plenty of time off to do other things. My pension will be good after 15 years of service as well. I can do more with less money as well, because I no longer need the big house, BMW, and other crap I had when I was selling for GSK. So, I thank them for downsizing me and I have slowly got my soul back and enjoy life much more these days. And I have a brighter future.

It is a very tragic existence.

I was one of the stubborn ones that was downsized 7 times and still didn't know when to quit.

Bad decision to stay in the industry.

Although I met some good people, the job just takes its toll once you reach an age of maturity and understanding of the world. I really don't see how mature, intelligent people, into their 50s or 60s, can do this job with any enthusiasm. Sure, the money is good, and that is a great reason to keep doing it, but at the end of the day, your soul will rot because you are selling pills that do more harm than good and making these companies billions of dollars, at the cost to gullible consumers who trust incompetent doctors. I think the "19" scam the last few years proved that the medical community lacks integrity.

So, after about two decades, I took my skills into the teaching field and enjoy what I do. Best part is that I have summers off, and plenty of time off to do other things. My pension will be good after 15 years of service as well. I can do more with less money as well, because I no longer need the big house, BMW, and other crap I had when I was selling for GSK. So, I thank them for downsizing me and I have slowly got my soul back and enjoy life much more these days. And I have a brighter future.
Excellent post! Your story sounds similar to mine and I relate to your thoughts and perspective.

Excellent post! Your story sounds similar to mine and I relate to your thoughts and perspective.

Feel like I wasted my professional life in this garbage industry, but as my wise friend recently suggested:

"the purpose of life is to just live it"

and that life is not complicated, we just complicate the crap out of it. a job is just a means to life that life. no need to make things difficult. just move on and learn. all of our mistakes of the past are forgiven.

Started in pharma in the middle of a healthcare career at 40. Was at one company for 11 years until a new shitty management team took over my company. Was laid off and then worked a couple of years in a healthcare sales job, then ended my sales stint at home health care sales -- don't ever do it, it's sleazier than pharma. Went back into the healthcare career and happier than ever. I was lucky, I always kept a Plan B in my pocket to fall back on. If you have one, too, use it -- pharma is a horrible, soul-sucking industry.

Started in pharma in the middle of a healthcare career at 40. Was at one company for 11 years until a new shitty management team took over my company. Was laid off and then worked a couple of years in a healthcare sales job, then ended my sales stint at home health care sales -- don't ever do it, it's sleazier than pharma. Went back into the healthcare career and happier than ever. I was lucky, I always kept a Plan B in my pocket to fall back on. If you have one, too, use it -- pharma is a horrible, soul-sucking industry.

The Crown Empire runs the pharmaceutical industry. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Grow up people.

Left pharma in 2010, after 14 years.
Moved into Hospice Sales, and then retired from Mental Health Sales.
I know Hospice and Mental Health is not for everyone, but I found it to be very rewarding.

After 18 years at one company, I was laid off in a downsize and then re-hired by the same company in a different therapeutic field. That lasted 4 years until I turned 62 and did not retire then, as I later found out it was assumed I would. I wanted to work until I was 65. Well, I was managed out and the way they did it was to give me 4 territories to cover with many overnights required. I had never had any overnight stays in the previous 17 years and having 3 new territories thrown on me in addition to the one I had worked for almost 2 decades was a joke. Being effective in such a set up was not possible; what were they thinking, I wondered? This was a conscious, deliberate move by my manager and the regional to get me to leave. I was the only rep in this large company to have 4 territories. All of the sudden, my great reviews began to stink, even though my sales were great and I was well over goal. It seems I could not meet their “objectives” and the field rides became contentious. I also had a co-worker who did not like “sharing” his numbers with an overlay. It didn’t help that this co-worker was tied at the hip to our manager. So, I retired and all is well. I went into another career with less pay of course, but my pharma pension is generous, I aggressively saved in the company matched 401K for 22 years, my new salary is decent, I have no debt, and I am now drawing full social security on top of that. I had 9 managers and eight of them found me to be a great rep - it was that 9th ass that was the problem. Looking back, it was a blessing in disguise. I did pharma for so long because of the money and I had great products to sell. I know how the organization - how management - harms your soul. Staying or leaving is a decision every individual must make based on their situation. It is a conundrum.

After 18 years at one company, I was laid off in a downsize and then re-hired by the same company in a different therapeutic field. That lasted 4 years until I turned 62 and did not retire then, as I later found out it was assumed I would. I wanted to work until I was 65. Well, I was managed out and the way they did it was to give me 4 territories to cover with many overnights required. I had never had any overnight stays in the previous 17 years and having 3 new territories thrown on me in addition to the one I had worked for almost 2 decades was a joke. Being effective in such a set up was not possible; what were they thinking, I wondered? This was a conscious, deliberate move by my manager and the regional to get me to leave. I was the only rep in this large company to have 4 territories. All of the sudden, my great reviews began to stink, even though my sales were great and I was well over goal. It seems I could not meet their “objectives” and the field rides became contentious. I also had a co-worker who did not like “sharing” his numbers with an overlay. It didn’t help that this co-worker was tied at the hip to our manager. So, I retired and all is well. I went into another career with less pay of course, but my pharma pension is generous, I aggressively saved in the company matched 401K for 22 years, my new salary is decent, I have no debt, and I am now drawing full social security on top of that. I had 9 managers and eight of them found me to be a great rep - it was that 9th ass that was the problem. Looking back, it was a blessing in disguise. I did pharma for so long because of the money and I had great products to sell. I know how the organization - how management - harms your soul. Staying or leaving is a decision every individual must make based on their situation. It is a conundrum.

Wow! You did well making it to 62! Well done! I had 23 years in and succumbed to somewhat
similar harassment and was pushed out at 51. Manager was riding with me constantly for 3 days at a time...This is how Big Pharma rolls...that's how they blatantly break employment laws...they just harass you out...I never found a decent job again after that but looking back on it now, it was a huge blessing...probably saved my life...Pharma is bad...real bad...

Wow, many good honest stories, thanks. I started in 1982, and worked until 2011. It was great starting off with Marion Labs of KC, Missouri. Ewing Kauffman who started the company a Great Man. He also owned the KC Royals. He was broke as a kid, and then he made it big by inventing Os-Cal. He died in 1993, then it went downhill. I then worked for Parke-Davis another great company in 1995. They of course came out with Lipitor in 1997. They also had the First Lipid drug...Lopid. They were very good to their reps and families. Then the Pfizer Pjerks bought us out in 2000, the that's when I for the first time notice many bad mgrs. and reps from Pfizer Pfun...it was awful. I went to work for AZ in 2000 and stayed for 11 years, most mgrs. and reps were OK. I was smart enough to stay away from the jerks. I had one mgr. who tried to run me off, (women) so she wanted to ride with me a lot, so I said meet me early in the morning and I would keep her late, past 5pm, she did that a couple of times, then she moved on to someone else to Pick On. After all those years, it was a great job, plus many years I was on the Board of the AHA, and President a few years, the docs liked that.
I have plenty of $$$ and it all started with Marion Labs taking a chance on me. Plus, I had no cell phone until PD made us get one in 1997. I did not use it much.

Wow! You did well making it to 62! Well done! I had 23 years in and succumbed to somewhat
similar harassment and was pushed out at 51. Manager was riding with me constantly for 3 days at a time...This is how Big Pharma rolls...that's how they blatantly break employment laws...they just harass you out...I never found a decent job again after that but looking back on it now, it was a huge blessing...probably saved my life...Pharma is bad...real bad...

really bad for sure.
Any job where you are constantly having to "watch your back", is a bad gig.

They mine the energy of the human soul to the point of exhaustion. I seriously think the only people that can make it in pharmaceuticals, or most sales related jobs are sociopaths at this point. I hate to admit that because I was in sales for about 15-20 years, but that was what I was becoming. that is what the corporate world will do to you. it will make you lose your life.

thankfully, I have a teaching degree and life is much better. life is normal now. less stress. more life. I would not recommend anyone work for any corporation in their life. better move is to start a business. if you don't want that, then work for a family-owned company that treats you right, and then work for the government last.

the truth is only suckers work for corporations. they think they are not suckers because their pay is better, but they are wrong by a long shot. they just haven't don't the cost-benefit analysis on these jobs. these companies just take your life away from you for money. and they think they own you. don't do it. and I hope you younger folks read this and reconsider your life path.

I liked pharma because:

1. Flexible Schedule
2. Some Appts.
3. Doc made you mad, you could leave and go get some coffee
4. No one looking over shoulder...unless your a bad rep
5. 80% of docs and nurses were fun to call on
6. Pay was great
7. Benefits were super
8. Great meetings, even some in Hawaii
9. Most other reps were OK
10. I did over 2,500 lunch and learns
11. I bought some of my co. Cars
12. Nice giveaways from 1984-2009
13. You could go to you own docs appt or dentist
14. Hardly anyone ever called to bug me

I liked pharma because:

1. Flexible Schedule
2. Some Appts.
3. Doc made you mad, you could leave and go get some coffee
4. No one looking over shoulder...unless your a bad rep
5. 80% of docs and nurses were fun to call on
6. Pay was great
7. Benefits were super
8. Great meetings, even some in Hawaii
9. Most other reps were OK
10. I did over 2,500 lunch and learns
11. I bought some of my co. Cars
12. Nice giveaways from 1984-2009
13. You could go to you own docs appt or dentist
14. Hardly anyone ever called to bug me

Several of your points are weak. Number 4 is nonsense. Many of us were/are top performers and we are still treated like garbage.

You must have worked for a terrible company.