• Mon news: Novartis Kisqali breast cancer trial. ESMO news: Bayer, Bristol Myers, Regeneron and more. Biosecure Act fallout. Boston Scientific/Silk Road merger. See more on our front page

What's the deal with not hiring former BMS contractors?

anonymousw2

I've applied to multiple positions in the last year and contract positions, and they always ask if you ever worked for BMS in any type of capacity: contractor, consultant, contingent, etc. I was a JLL employee at 2 BMS sites for over 4 years and even though I'm more than qualified for every position I apply to, the second they find out I used to be a contractor for them years ago, I get ghosted. What's the deal?

I've applied to multiple positions in the last year and contract positions, and they always ask if you ever worked for BMS in any type of capacity: contractor, consultant, contingent, etc. I was a JLL employee at 2 BMS sites for over 4 years and even though I'm more than qualified for every position I apply to, the second they find out I used to be a contractor for them years ago, I get ghosted. What's the deal?

You are now over-qualified. BMS only hires when they can look in one ear and see out the other.

Sorry to inform you but you are now too edumacated.

I have no idea, but don't take it personally. I've interviewed with dozens of companies in healthcare and I have concluded that getting an offer means you have to get through the hiring managers biases. Your experience, determination, high interest level, success, even references within the company...don't mean sh!t at the end of the day if they already have a candidate in mind. It really comes down to timing. Keep your chin up and keep trying. I finally was offered an amazing opportunity at BMS. I still went through all the hoops but the manager didn't go into the process with a candidate in mind and I was able to demonstrate why I should get the offer. Keep applying.

I have no idea, but don't take it personally. I've interviewed with dozens of companies in healthcare and I have concluded that getting an offer means you have to get through the hiring managers biases. Your experience, determination, high interest level, success, even references within the company...don't mean sh!t at the end of the day if they already have a candidate in mind. It really comes down to timing. Keep your chin up and keep trying. I finally was offered an amazing opportunity at BMS. I still went through all the hoops but the manager didn't go into the process with a candidate in mind and I was able to demonstrate why I should get the offer. Keep applying.

Working for BMS ain’t all that. They’re doing you a favor…go look somewhere else.

If you’re dealing with headhunters I think they only get paid to introduce totally new candidates, so if you’ve already been in the BMS system you may not be able to satisfy their requirements.