• Fri news: New Novo obesity prospect linked to psychiatric side effects. Summit beats Keytruda in NSCLC. DermaSensor skin cancer detection device. Astellas digital health product. Sanofi MS data. See more on our front page

Vacation policy

anonymous

Is anyone else’s manager harping on about HR, productivity, and people’s time off? Telling us vacation policy is being abused…but then stating no one on our team has been called out. Just telling reps “It’s being watched”….but no clarification of whether this is an issue on their team, the region, area, etc. No conversation stating there is a problem with me or my colleagues. Sending emails essentially telling us they could potentially deny our vacation requests etc. We are just curious if this is an actual issue being brought up or just a passive/aggressive attempt to pressure us into not using vacation?

<

Is anyone else’s manager harping on about HR, productivity, and people’s time off? Telling us vacation policy is being abused…but then stating no one on our team has been called out. Just telling reps “It’s being watched”….but no clarification of whether this is an issue on their team, the region, area, etc. No conversation stating there is a problem with me or my colleagues. Sending emails essentially telling us they could potentially deny our vacation requests etc. We are just curious if this is an actual issue being brought up or just a passive/aggressive attempt to pressure us into not using vacation?
It's your rbd and manager who lead by metrics and micromanagement alone. You must be on my team or at least nearby!

It's your rbd and manager who lead by metrics and micromanagement alone. You must be on my team or at least nearby!

You are probably right.I wouldn’t have suspected my RBD of being this way…I’m personally not abusing the vacation policy and neither are my teammates. But implying that someone has to be in the territory at all times, and that vacation may be denied, knowing that most people have kids on the same holiday schedules, is just nonsense. Especially considering we don’t have samples half the time. And also, what about OCS? Can they not take off since they are a singular team? It’s just frustrating.

So has HR changed the policy or is mgmt making rules up as they go here?

The policy hasn’t changed. DBMs have always had the discretion to deny vacation requests. However, considering all that is going on, I am surprised they would threaten that. If you’re doing your job and getting it done, there should be no reason to deny.