Tough situation- leaving a company when you want to relocate and cant within company

Anonymous

Got into medical sales 1 1/2 years ago at the age of 24 after very successful 1 1/2 years b2b sales. Great current company/manager, good pay but unhappy geographically.

The opportunity came up and i took it knowing i did not want to be where i was at indefinitely but it was a great opp at young age.

I have inquired about where i want to relocate (same state) and its not something that will happen anytime soon. Manager and i are close and i have done very very well already but tenured reps have been in the territories i would like and they're not going anywhere

Im young and no family but i know where i want to be for the next 5-10+ years as i have visited sibling/friends there. Anybody else been in this boat? I can prob get even better pay now that i have successful med+b2b exp but its a big move

<

Re: Tough situation- leaving a company when you want to relocate and cant within comp

Got into medical sales 1 1/2 years ago at the age of 24 after very successful 1 1/2 years b2b sales. Great current company/manager, good pay but unhappy geographically.

The opportunity came up and i took it knowing i did not want to be where i was at indefinitely but it was a great opp at young age.

I have inquired about where i want to relocate (same state) and its not something that will happen anytime soon. Manager and i are close and i have done very very well already but tenured reps have been in the territories i would like and they're not going anywhere

Im young and no family but i know where i want to be for the next 5-10+ years as i have visited sibling/friends there. Anybody else been in this boat? I can prob get even better pay now that i have successful med+b2b exp but its a big move

I was in your shoes. here's my advice: don't leave your current position until you have been there closer to 3 years. you've already had 1 position where you only stayed 18 months. you don't want another one. the first one is an easy explanation because you were transitioning out of b2b and into medical so everyone understands that. the reasons you want to stick around are:
a) you need to show stability for other employers to give you strong consideration. most companies know that regardless of how successful you are, they don't recoup most of their investment in you (training, benefits, salary, etc) until about 24 months. so if you get a reputation of jumping every 2 years, sooner or later it will catch up with you because you may get overlooked by someone who views you as a flight risk before they break even on you.
b) you need to show long-term success in medical. i could look at someone who did 18-24 months of sales in 3 different companies who was successful and argue that they got lucky with timing. truly great reps are successful year-over-year.

keeping these 2 things in mind prepares you for the future to get/keep the high-paying opportunities. try to hang in there for another 18-24 months and i think it will be the right decision. and don't forget that you don't have to stay in the exact same niche of the industry when you make your move to a different location. you can bounce from your current niche into something else and round out your resume, etc. getting into medical is the hardest part. once you're in and show success and stability, you can typically write your ticket moving forward.

good luck

Re: Tough situation- leaving a company when you want to relocate and cant within comp

I am in the other camp- go ahead and move! Be close to family and friends and enjoy your life outside of work. Spend this time networking and carefully planning your move to a new company- moving to be close to family is a great reason, even in the eyes of a prospective employer.

I am in the other camp- go ahead and move! Be close to family and friends and enjoy your life outside of work. Spend this time networking and carefully planning your move to a new company- moving to be close to family is a great reason, even in the eyes of a prospective employer.

Im really enjoying the freedom with med sales and working from home. Don't get me wrong, i work hard and I'm competitive as hell but I'm also a smart worker and make good use of my time.

Are most gigs in med work from home and come along with that "freedom"? I talk to my manager once a week sometimes every other week and I really like that. If i start interviewing around here, ill be sure that the manager is a good/non micro one if i move

Agree with the first responder. You're looking in the same state? Be patient, put in another 12-24 months and really prove yourself. Use that time to develop, network, explore other types of med dev markets. Having a good manager that you connect with and trust is a Holy Grail in this space. I'd say it's 1 in 4.
I commuted every other weekend from NJ to MA for 3 years until i got the right offer to get back to MA and it was worth it.
Good luck, there is no right or wrong...

Agree with the first responder. You're looking in the same state? Be patient, put in another 12-24 months and really prove yourself. Use that time to develop, network, explore other types of med dev markets. Having a good manager that you connect with and trust is a Holy Grail in this space. I'd say it's 1 in 4.
I commuted every other weekend from NJ to MA for 3 years until i got the right offer to get back to MA and it was worth it.
Good luck, there is no right or wrong...

Yes same state. If I was older and/or had a family this would be moot. I just feel very conflicted being in my mid 20s and being somewhere I am not that happy, but I have a great job/boss. I'm young and my careers very important but I want to be happy where i am as well.

At least I can play the "being near family/friends" card if I am to interview around.

I was in your shoes. here's my advice: don't leave your current position until you have been there closer to 3 years. you've already had 1 position where you only stayed 18 months. you don't want another one. the first one is an easy explanation because you were transitioning out of b2b and into medical so everyone understands that. the reasons you want to stick around are:
a) you need to show stability for other employers to give you strong consideration. most companies know that regardless of how successful you are, they don't recoup most of their investment in you (training, benefits, salary, etc) until about 24 months. so if you get a reputation of jumping every 2 years, sooner or later it will catch up with you because you may get overlooked by someone who views you as a flight risk before they break even on you.
b) you need to show long-term success in medical. i could look at someone who did 18-24 months of sales in 3 different companies who was successful and argue that they got lucky with timing. truly great reps are successful year-over-year.

keeping these 2 things in mind prepares you for the future to get/keep the high-paying opportunities. try to hang in there for another 18-24 months and i think it will be the right decision. and don't forget that you don't have to stay in the exact same niche of the industry when you make your move to a different location. you can bounce from your current niche into something else and round out your resume, etc. getting into medical is the hardest part. once you're in and show success and stability, you can typically write your ticket moving forward.

good luck

I agree completely with the post, great advice. My first medical device sales job out of college I hit the ground running, and within 9 months got promoted to a supervisor over 4 states and 17 associates, then (after a large acquisition, my company reorganized, and the middle management position I held was eliminated nationwide) so I was there for 2 years.

I then accepted a 1099 sales position with a local distributor, and was mislead on current customers and residual monthly revenue, (to find out 2 months after accepting the position ALL of those customer were for a product the company just lost because it went direct) I knew they had 3 new surgical products they were just taking on, so I thought it was a great opportunity, but bringing in new surgical products to a state has a lot of "leg work" before a trial and before an account is 100% converted and stocking product on the shelf. I was paying daycare for 2 children and as a 1099 paid for all expenses, lunches, dinners, etc out of pocket. Don't get me wrong, I succeeded, but about 11 months into my job, I was contacted by the largest neurostimulatior company wanting to hire me for a part time 1 year contract (that would positively turn into full time after the year. Great company, great product and I was a rock star!

And then AGAIN after a large acquisition, my company reorganized, the largest reorganization for this Fortune 500 company ever, and the realignment cut out all the 1 year contract sales reps.

So know here I am, with 3 jobs on my resume, (3 in 5 years) and even though I was successful, and always over plan, I'm struggling to find a position with a reputable company with good missions, values and products, because I know in the back of my head, some of the companies I've applied with do this with my resume - counting- 1,2,3, jobs since out of school, must be a "JOB HOPPER" and my resume is immediately placed in the trash.

Im really enjoying the freedom with med sales and working from home. Don't get me wrong, i work hard and I'm competitive as hell but I'm also a smart worker and make good use of my time.

Are most gigs in med work from home and come along with that "freedom"? I talk to my manager once a week sometimes every other week and I really like that. If i start interviewing around here, ill be sure that the manager is a good/non micro one if i move

HA! You know not a single Micro-manager thinks they micro manage. But if you can't handle/don't like that style, read up on "tell signs" that can come out when you interview with the hiring manager.

And a true medical device rep doesn't work from home, they work on the field, in surgery, in doc offices, and C-Suite meetings, the "working from home" honestly just means, you do all you computer work in the evenings overtime when you're getting paid a salary for 40 hours a week.

Depending on what your niche is you're selling, you can be at the beck and call of a surgeon, hospital, and be available 24/7. Others, the "elective surgeries" are less call, but still it happens, you'll always work independent as a medical device rep, but if a case gets pushed back a few hours, or they add a case on last minute end of day, or a patient (for implantable) has issues, or presents in the ER on the weekends, or if you're in trauma sales, it's a different ball game.

My advice, if you accept an offer with a new company and come to find out your boss is a micro, nip that shit in the ass ASAP, wording of "to manage my time affectively to achieve the goals you've given me, can we schedule a one a week, or bi-weekly call together so I can provide you updates and learn from the experience you have?" Or better yet, just let it go to vm, and respond in email unless it's a high important discussing