The Voter ID Controversy

Bubble Burster

I have been following this issue for several years.

Democrats claim that requiring voters to show photo ID is discriminatory, because up to 11% those without photo ID are minorities.

They have not, however, presented any evidence to support that point.

Republicans claim that requiring ID would reduce or eliminate the problem of people casting mutiple votes or registering residents of the local cemetary.

Both sides seem to have validity. My personal feeling is that there is really no good reason why voters should not be required to show photo ID at the polls. It is not a new idea, and at one time it was routine.

It would be nice to see a discussion of this issue without the customary vitriol.

http://www.columbia.edu/~rse14/erikson-minnite.pdf

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc...cle_527bb455-775e-5bed-a832-72ba351b9982.html

http://www.apsanet.org/media/PDFs/PSJan09Sobel.pdf

<

Democrats claim that requiring voters to show photo ID is discriminatory, because up to 11% those without photo ID are minorities.

Republicans claim that requiring ID would reduce or eliminate the problem of people casting mutiple votes or registering residents of the local cemetary.

Both sides seem to have validity. My personal feeling is that there is really no good reason why voters should not be required to show photo ID at the polls. It is not a new idea, and at one time it was routine.

It would be nice to see a discussion of this issue without the customary vitriol.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc...cle_527bb455-775e-5bed-a832-72ba351b9982.html

Personally I think that all individuals should have a uniform ID card, whether they are citizens or not. No ID, no vote. People are involved in accidents and incidents where not having proper ID can make it difficult to id the body.
Voting is a right, an obligation, and a privilege, and showing a valid ID should be a major obstacle.
Photo ID could be issued a each voting location since the technology is available, and the government would pick up the tab anyway.

Personally I think that all individuals should have a uniform ID card, whether they are citizens or not. No ID, no vote. People are involved in accidents and incidents where not having proper ID can make it difficult to id the body.
Voting is a right, an obligation, and a privilege, and showing a valid ID should be a major obstacle.
Photo ID could be issued a each voting location since the technology is available, and the government would pick up the tab anyway.

Will you people get gold I.D. cards, while the rest of us get black ones? It's also a good thing for your thug-government to be able to readily identify their adversaries. Perhaps his new civilian police force can run that program.

Why not a voter ID card that is issued free of charge at the time the voter registers? That would fulfill the need to protect the public from fraudulent votes/voters.

I keep thinking of that clown Al Franken, that won his Senate seat by only seven votes. Even the other Senators hate his guts.

I do believe that voter registration is one area where one should have to prove citizenship. The argument that some people are too poor to get an ID card is specious.

Interesting that we are so close to agreement on something.

All U will do is disenfranchise folks from voting. We should do like they do in Iraq. U can register and vote in the same day. They have off during that time.
So why do the Judeo republicans want to make it harder for Americans to vote. But make it sooooo easy for the Iraqis to vote? Maybe the Iraqis can not vote here.

I would like to hear your reasons why people might be disenfranchised by an ID card requirement.

So lets just use the Iraqi voting method. If it good for them it must be good for us.

Why do you continue to avoid the question? Why do you think requiring ID would result in disenfranchisement?

Ok. You don't have an answer. You therefore do not have a valid question. For the third and last time: why do you think requiring ID would result in disenfranchise voters?

If you won't answer, your point has no validity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lets just take one example, women. They get married they will have to get another ID or they get divorced they will have to get another ID. All three times because of name change.

Now instead of making it harder to vote in America lets make it easier like in Iraq. Election day is a day off and U can register to vote the same day U vote.

That would be easy to deal with. Is that all you have?

I believe in no ID--no vote. States should make it easy peasy for people to get voter ID cards by tying in the voter registration with recharging your driver's license every 4 years or whatever your state requires--MOTOR VOTER registration. If you're a brandy new driver, you can get your voter ID along with your spanking new driver's license. If you've moved to a new state, same thing. Don't drive due to age or disability? That's okay because the DMV will be the place for you to obtain your voter ID be you a licensed driver or not. That way, it's all in the same [DMV] system...keeping everything on the up & up. Heck I just created employment for a few thousand computer geeks in getting the DMV mainframe system up for voter registration. Actually, this idea has been talked about for years.

I believe in no ID--no vote. States should make it easy peasy for people to get voter ID cards by tying in the voter registration with recharging your driver's license every 4 years or whatever your state requires--MOTOR VOTER registration. If you're a brandy new driver, you can get your voter ID along with your spanking new driver's license. If you've moved to a new state, same thing. Don't drive due to age or disability? That's okay because the DMV will be the place for you to obtain your voter ID be you a licensed driver or not. That way, it's all in the same [DMV] system...keeping everything on the up & up. Heck I just created employment for a few thousand computer geeks in getting the DMV mainframe system up for voter registration. Actually, this idea has been talked about for years.

No ID, no vote is the way it ought to be, but motor-voter is a bad idea.

If people are not motivated enough to register to vote as per traditional voter registration then they shouldn't vote.

When we are required to show a photo ID for so many routine things in daily life, it is absurd that we don't require photo ID to ensure the integrity of our electoral process.

No ID, no vote is the way it ought to be, but motor-voter is a bad idea.

If people are not motivated enough to register to vote as per traditional voter registration then they shouldn't vote.

When we are required to show a photo ID for so many routine things in daily life, it is absurd that we don't require photo ID to ensure the integrity of our electoral process.

MFAS, you are trying to rationalize with people that believe you should bus people in by the droves (after shopping for Air Jordan's though) and making up voter registration (ACORN). The just don't get it.

ID this:
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...d-state-capitol-for-30-years-denied-voter-id/

And it was in the left-wing blog so you believe it, right?

No wonder Dims are so stupid.

I have no idea if it's true. I found it on my Internet start page yesterday. Where do you get all your links and do you know for certain they're all true before you post them? And do you know for certain this is not true?

And what's the deal on the stupid comment, all I did was bring up an idea for discussion.

I have no idea if it's true. I found it on my Internet start page yesterday. Where do you get all your links and do you know for certain they're all true before you post them? And do you know for certain this is not true?

And what's the deal on the stupid comment, all I did was bring up an idea for discussion.

If you want to have a serious discussion, NEVER post a link to "thinkprogress". They are so far left they even embarras Obama.

You report one case third-hand and I post references to cases involving thousands.

Lets just take one example, women. They get married they will have to get another ID or they get divorced they will have to get another ID. All three times because of name change.

Now instead of making it harder to vote in America lets make it easier like in Iraq. Election day is a day off and U can register to vote the same day U vote.

They also need new driver's licenses, social security cards and more. So why not a voter ID? Those states who are trying to limit fraud by use of picture IDs have also been very aggressive trying to get IDs for people. Face it, dems want to encourage illegals and dead people to vote and to allow people to vote multiple times.

I can't board a plane or drive a car legally without a picture ID. Isn't voting even more important?

We not only have a better infrastructure and technology compared to Iraq but also have about 7 times as many registered voters. So comparing what works there to here is inane.

Last edited by a moderator: