The real facts about AZ

Where can you go and average less than 5 minutes a day of any type of sales conversation, have a company car, each lunch on the company almost every day, and have great benefits all around, and get paid amazingly well on top of everything else. It is absolutely incredible that ANY pharma company is still using a sales model that has changed very little since the very beginning of the industry.

Don't complain about this gig. One day the industry will recognize that they could cut our pay in half, and we still wouldn't leave. Even worse, they could get rid of 90% of their full time sales force and hire us back as cso reps, and save a fortune.

You won't hear me complaining about a damn thing here.

I was looking more for facts about the company not the industry. I've been in the industry for a few years and just looking to move on from my pharma company. Any help is appreciated.

I was looking more for facts about the company not the industry. I've been in the industry for a few years and just looking to move on from my pharma company. Any help is appreciated.
Here is some good advice from a veteran in this company; try to be as average as possible, not too good and not too bad. Just stay in the safe middle. This is a company that focuses only on the top 1 or 2% who will be eventually managed out because they did not live up to potential as seen by someone, anyone in senior leadership. If you can make it 10 years without anyone in senior leadership knowing your name then you will have succeeded.
If one person in the inner circle takes a disliking to you because you are either too bad or so good to be threatening to them, then you are a goner. But most of all, this is a rank and yank culture except at the very top, so never ever ever trust anyone.

Here is some good advice from a veteran in this company; try to be as average as possible, not too good and not too bad. Just stay in the safe middle. This is a company that focuses only on the top 1 or 2% who will be eventually managed out because they did not live up to potential as seen by someone, anyone in senior leadership. If you can make it 10 years without anyone in senior leadership knowing your name then you will have succeeded.
If one person in the inner circle takes a disliking to you because you are either too bad or so good to be threatening to them, then you are a goner. But most of all, this is a rank and yank culture except at the very top, so never ever ever trust anyone.

The above poster is only correct if you want to stay a rep. If you want to move up in this company you will have to have some great years of service in the field. But you must tie your wagon to the right people. But in my opinion its not hard to tell who is a mover and a shaker in the company and who is dead weight. Also of you are young this a great place to develop skills and move on in 2 to 3 years to a higher paying small Pharma job or medical device or something outside the medical field. Just my thoughts hope it this helps

What about the recent layoffs/big drugs coming off patent?

Look who the fuck do you think you are boy? We'll be in charge here. We're the ones asking the fucking questions, got it? Do you want the job or not -- you've got two seconds to decide. Think fast: if you say, "no" there are about 20,000 others lined up to kiss my ass and say yes without any of your fucking hesitation which makes me think I ought to rescind the offer to your lowlife loser ass before you have a chance to accept it.

The above poster is only correct if you want to stay a rep. If you want to move up in this company you will have to have some great years of service in the field. But you must tie your wagon to the right people. But in my opinion its not hard to tell who is a mover and a shaker in the company and who is dead weight. Also of you are young this a great place to develop skills and move on in 2 to 3 years to a higher paying small Pharma job or medical device or something outside the medical field. Just my thoughts hope it this helps

Most of the managers I know weren't great reps. They moved up by playing the game, the good old boy network. AZ wouldn't know a mover and a shaker if there were such a thing in this wacky place with its scripted messaging, gamed metrics, and fly by night numbers.

As far as skills are concerned medical device companies and biotech don't want you because the perception is that you cart a computer around, deliver maybe a one minute scripted message from marketing, make little to no impact, and leave. I realize the best of you find ways around it but this job is not perceived of as sales anymore.

Most of the managers I know weren't great reps. They moved up by playing the game, the good old boy network. AZ wouldn't know a mover and a shaker if there were such a thing in this wacky place with its scripted messaging, gamed metrics, and fly by night numbers.

As far as skills are concerned medical device companies and biotech don't want you because the perception is that you cart a computer around, deliver maybe a one minute scripted message from marketing, make little to no impact, and leave. I realize the best of you find ways around it but this job is not perceived of as sales anymore.

Well I do agree with some of your points, there are movers and shakers in this company. But unfortunately it's a rare find. And that's true about the good old boy network. Most of the time the fastest way to management is through being a trainer up in corporate. There are without a doubt talented people in this organization. And to your second point about biotech and device jobs not true. It's all about how you network and sell yourself when you get the chance. I have talked to many of these companies, but just like with Pharma you still need to be careful about what you pick. I will be gone in the next couple of months. I have a job ready to roll, just waiting for my training class with my new device company to start. So use this company for you can and get valuable experience

Well I do agree with some of your points, there are movers and shakers in this company. But unfortunately it's a rare find. And that's true about the good old boy network. Most of the time the fastest way to management is through being a trainer up in corporate. There are without a doubt talented people in this organization. And to your second point about biotech and device jobs not true. It's all about how you network and sell yourself when you get the chance. I have talked to many of these companies, but just like with Pharma you still need to be careful about what you pick. I will be gone in the next couple of months. I have a job ready to roll, just waiting for my training class with my new device company to start. So use this company for you can and get valuable experience

Good luck to you. There are always exceptions to the rule. And I agree that there are talented people in this organization. Sadly, they are stifled by the poor management.

Look who the fuck do you think you are boy? We'll be in charge here. We're the ones asking the fucking questions, got it? Do you want the job or not -- you've got two seconds to decide. Think fast: if you say, "no" there are about 20,000 others lined up to kiss my ass and say yes without any of your fucking hesitation which makes me think I ought to rescind the offer to your lowlife loser ass before you have a chance to accept it.

LOSER!