The New Reality of (what's left of) Merck Employees

anonymous

Reading the posts about Merck's retirement musings led me to write this. It's time to acknowledge the reality…and Ken Frazieris not going to like what I have to say.

Over the last 12-13 years, Merck has actively minimized it's long-term costs by directly laying off tens of thousands of employees and also "encouraging" the departure of tens of thousands more. At the start of this mess, those in "protected groups" (an actual legal term) technically included employees over 40, but the white males had very little chance of successful age discrimination claims unless they were over 50 when they were pressured out. Hence, Merck was hesitant to target for removal those employees over fifty, in general, as those law suits would have made getting rid of those employees very expensive. Thus, we now have a much older sales force (average age is 51), with a smattering of contract reps and some very young reps that make very little and have virtually no impact on long-term costs (no pension for you!). So, those that were older back then are now retiring employees who are reaching that coveted goal, but it is indeed a shrinking group.

As a former senior manager, I can assure you that this is all true and accurate. Merck's demise began with the fall of Vioxx and was accelerated with the greatest series of R&D failures in pharmaceutical history. In short, Merck is where it is by its own accord. It's sad that more than half of the company's employees have been separated since then, with only a fraction having been replaced at a much smaller cost to the company, all because this company was so horribly managed.

As others have indicated, it is truly tragic that Merck's "leadership" has profited mightily since this all began.The billions of dollars (literally) paid to those executives who conceived and implemented the plan to sever the financial ---and often mental---health of our own fellow employees could have been used to soften the blow to those former employees and their families considerably. Instead, Merck's "leaders" have quietly enriched themselves while destroying countless lives with reckless abandon. It is truly shameful.

The anonymous nature of this forum affords me the opportunity to share this with you. Most of us with legal exposure to sharing information like this simply take their cash and drift away. I simply can't fail to acknowledge that thousands of very good people were made to look guilty as they were dismissed or, more often, pressured to quit by very underhanded means. It is a disgraceful organization.

<

Reading the posts about Merck's retirement musings led me to write this. It's time to acknowledge the reality…and Ken Frazieris not going to like what I have to say.

Over the last 12-13 years, Merck has actively minimized it's long-term costs by directly laying off tens of thousands of employees and also "encouraging" the departure of tens of thousands more. At the start of this mess, those in "protected groups" (an actual legal term) technically included employees over 40, but the white males had very little chance of successful age discrimination claims unless they were over 50 when they were pressured out. Hence, Merck was hesitant to target for removal those employees over fifty, in general, as those law suits would have made getting rid of those employees very expensive. Thus, we now have a much older sales force (average age is 51), with a smattering of contract reps and some very young reps that make very little and have virtually no impact on long-term costs (no pension for you!). So, those that were older back then are now retiring employees who are reaching that coveted goal, but it is indeed a shrinking group.

As a former senior manager, I can assure you that this is all true and accurate. Merck's demise began with the fall of Vioxx and was accelerated with the greatest series of R&D failures in pharmaceutical history. In short, Merck is where it is by its own accord. It's sad that more than half of the company's employees have been separated since then, with only a fraction having been replaced at a much smaller cost to the company, all because this company was so horribly managed.

As others have indicated, it is truly tragic that Merck's "leadership" has profited mightily since this all began.The billions of dollars (literally) paid to those executives who conceived and implemented the plan to sever the financial ---and often mental---health of our own fellow employees could have been used to soften the blow to those former employees and their families considerably. Instead, Merck's "leaders" have quietly enriched themselves while destroying countless lives with reckless abandon. It is truly shameful.

The anonymous nature of this forum affords me the opportunity to share this with you. Most of us with legal exposure to sharing information like this simply take their cash and drift away. I simply can't fail to acknowledge that thousands of very good people were made to look guilty as they were dismissed or, more often, pressured to quit by very underhanded means. It is a disgraceful organization.

Calling Merck and their senior management "disgraceful" is being far too kind...I would go as far as to say
they are truly evil, and that is not a word I use lightly. I was forced out as a rep at the age of 50, and their actions sent me on the verge of a nervous breakdown and PTSD which I still struggle with today. All the while, Frazier and his cronies get richer, and lives and families are ruined. If the public only knew what Merck was all about...

Calling Merck and their senior management "disgraceful" is being far too kind...I would go as far as to say
they are truly evil, and that is not a word I use lightly. I was forced out as a rep at the age of 50, and their actions sent me on the verge of a nervous breakdown and PTSD which I still struggle with today. All the while, Frazier and his cronies get richer, and lives and families are ruined. If the public only knew what Merck was all about...

The Vioxx debacle, as stated earlier, was Merck's jugular. They knew 'tis drug was poison from the get go. Yet proceeded to sell and kill people up until the day ot was pulled. Merck was never the same after that. Drs.lost all trust and reps lost all respect for this once great company. I was ashamed to leave my home.
I took this situation as an opportunity to get the hell out of
this despicable company and negotiated a fat severance to keep me from becoming a whistleblower. I was 60 and ready to retire, and didn't want all the pressure of a legal battle and got a tidy sum. Certainly not the millions I probably would have received, but with my pension, 401k, and the severance, I and my family are set for generations of financial security,
I simply screwed them before they screwed me.
I feel bad for you and hope you find happiness someday. Merck isn't worth it. It's a shitty company run by shitty people, and I hope it meets its demise soon.

Thank you! You are a courageous man and I salute you. There are too many gutless, ass-kissing pussies running this company into the ground, and its good to know there is at least one who will speak the truth.

DEAD ON!! I have been quietly saying that to trusted colleagues for years, some of whom are still here and others that have been separated.

Senior leadership wants to maintain the status quo and just rake in the money, while the sales, R+D, and other functionalities take the brunt to maintain a certain margin. KF once said he doesn't do anything for short term gain...LOL OMG that's hilarious. I think most decisions he has made regarding company cuts were for short sited profit margin. "Top line, bottom line, and the pipeline." His duty is to the shareholders not the employees of Merck, like any other CEO. I'm curious who they are going to get to replace him. They are extremely lucky with Keytruda in the acquisition (and it was shelved in the beginning until RP found it). Let's say, that without Keytruda the company would be very different and not for the better.

I believe at this point people are doing whatever they need to do to keep their job! Pay is decent, benefits OK, and the work flexibility is great. The gravy train is full steam ahead.

DEAD ON!! I have been quietly saying that to trusted colleagues for years, some of whom are still here and others that have been separated.

Senior leadership wants to maintain the status quo and just rake in the money, while the sales, R+D, and other functionalities take the brunt to maintain a certain margin. KF once said he doesn't do anything for short term gain...LOL OMG that's hilarious. I think most decisions he has made regarding company cuts were for short sited profit margin. "Top line, bottom line, and the pipeline." His duty is to the shareholders not the employees of Merck, like any other CEO. I'm curious who they are going to get to replace him. They are extremely lucky with Keytruda in the acquisition (and it was shelved in the beginning until RP found it). Let's say, that without Keytruda the company would be very different and not for the better.

I believe at this point people are doing whatever they need to do to keep their job! Pay is decent, benefits OK, and the work flexibility is great. The gravy train is full steam ahead.
I agree. The way the economy is going just save money and full steam ahead. Merck, like all companies don't have a long term plan. Any bump in the road they start cutting people. It's faster and coming up with a solid plan is too much work. It's a quarter by quarter game. It's not in the "stockholders" interest. That is total BS. It is such a way of life that when a company states it's laying people off the stock goes up. 30 years ago when a company stated layoffs the stock would go down. It would mean that the company is parting ways with it's most valuable assets (people) and contract. With that written here are a few predictions.
1. Even though the unemployment rate is low, salaries are not going up. That is extremely dangerous. If the economy is good, salaries would be going up. Merck does not give good raises and I have never seen them match the other company salaries when you leave. 20 years ago SP gave bigger raises and people stayed.
2. The stock market will crash late 2017/early 2018. Could be the worse in my lifetime (55 years) That will lead to a hopefully minor recession. If the feds continue to raise rate it will get worse.
3. China will not bail us out like in 2008. They had a good amount of money saved up and poured trillions of dollars into the US system. That is why mortgage rates went so low. China has debt of it's own now.
4. When the stock market crashes it will pull down the pension systems. That pension money is invested in the stock market. Bad things will happen. States will have to cut just about every service.
5. People have not fully recovered from the last recession. Kids are graduating college with 100k in student loans. If the interest rates go higher it will be harder for them to pay back. Now they go home and live with their parents.
6. Right now 60% of adult have less than 1,000 dollars in savings. 15% have 1,000 to 10,000k saved up and 14% have above 10,000k. During the 1970's the savings rates were 10 times higher.

Just full stream ahead, diversify assets, and save. Slowly build a emergency fund. How much money should you have is up to debate.

Wow, that is a refreshing last of truth. Sure, we've all know most of it for a long while, but to hear it said like that is a bit painful to accept. 100% correct, top to bottom.

Now is the time to act. When I order lunch always get 15% freeze dried food that I bury in the yard at my house. When the economy collapses and the Chinese army invades, I can live off the buried freeze dried food for 2 years. I will take my Merck 401(k) as hard cash - by converting into dimes and nickels - I pick out the real silver coins then return the more recent alloys. Right now I have sufficient coins to barter for food with real silver. I'm trying to hoard samples as well, but have to cycle them based on expiration date - these go into the small bunker that I dug under the garage. Friends our roles in the sales force wont last forever. Use your time to prepare.

Now is the time to act. When I order lunch always get 15% freeze dried food that I bury in the yard at my house. When the economy collapses and the Chinese army invades, I can live off the buried freeze dried food for 2 years. I will take my Merck 401(k) as hard cash - by converting into dimes and nickels - I pick out the real silver coins then return the more recent alloys. Right now I have sufficient coins to barter for food with real silver. I'm trying to hoard samples as well, but have to cycle them based on expiration date - these go into the small bunker that I dug under the garage. Friends our roles in the sales force wont last forever. Use your time to prepare.
I'm not sure what that weirdness is all about, but the original post is right on the money.

I agree. The way the economy is going just save money and full steam ahead. Merck, like all companies don't have a long term plan. Any bump in the road they start cutting people. It's faster and coming up with a solid plan is too much work. It's a quarter by quarter game. It's not in the "stockholders" interest. That is total BS. It is such a way of life that when a company states it's laying people off the stock goes up. 30 years ago when a company stated layoffs the stock would go down. It would mean that the company is parting ways with it's most valuable assets (people) and contract. With that written here are a few predictions.
1. Even though the unemployment rate is low, salaries are not going up. That is extremely dangerous. If the economy is good, salaries would be going up. Merck does not give good raises and I have never seen them match the other company salaries when you leave. 20 years ago SP gave bigger raises and people stayed.
2. The stock market will crash late 2017/early 2018. Could be the worse in my lifetime (55 years) That will lead to a hopefully minor recession. If the feds continue to raise rate it will get worse.
3. China will not bail us out like in 2008. They had a good amount of money saved up and poured trillions of dollars into the US system. That is why mortgage rates went so low. China has debt of it's own now.
4. When the stock market crashes it will pull down the pension systems. That pension money is invested in the stock market. Bad things will happen. States will have to cut just about every service.
5. People have not fully recovered from the last recession. Kids are graduating college with 100k in student loans. If the interest rates go higher it will be harder for them to pay back. Now they go home and live with their parents.
6. Right now 60% of adult have less than 1,000 dollars in savings. 15% have 1,000 to 10,000k saved up and 14% have above 10,000k. During the 1970's the savings rates were 10 times higher.

Just full stream ahead, diversify assets, and save. Slowly build a emergency fund. How much money should you have is up to debate.
While the Dow is definitely overvalued right now, and we're due for a sizeable correction, your doomsday, sky-is-falling prognostication is reactionary and a tad hysterical...

your post raises some valid points, but I think the economy has some pretty good tailwind right now, and any recession will be brief and minimally painful...

While the Dow is definitely overvalued right now, and we're due for a sizeable correction, your doomsday, sky-is-falling prognostication is reactionary and a tad hysterical...

your post raises some valid points, but I think the economy has some pretty good tailwind right now, and any recession will be brief and minimally painful...
Or, at least, that's what we hope. I'm not so sure. I believe the steady flow of retirement savings dollars are the primary driver behind the stock market valuation. The intrinsic value of the market's future cash flows as a proxy for stock valuation is all but gone. These stock prices are ridiculous.

PTSD? Really?? Good god we have become a society of wussies who can't deal with even the slightest bit of adversity...

PTSD? Really?? Good god we have become a society of wussies who can't deal with even the slightest bit of adversity...
When you spend 15 successful years with your employer, you have a few kids and a wife, you're too old to start anew and accrue any meaningful retirement elsewhere and all of your once-trusted co-workers treat you like you have the plague, it does weigh on your emotions. It also hurts your marriage and creates a ripple effect of anxiety throughout every piece of your life. The younger you are, the easier it is to deal with. If they target you when you're 45 or 50, it can get into the PTSD realm. Trust me. It happened to me, too.

When you spend 15 successful years with your employer, you have a few kids and a wife, you're too old to start anew and accrue any meaningful retirement elsewhere and all of your once-trusted co-workers treat you like you have the plague, it does weigh on your emotions. It also hurts your marriage and creates a ripple effect of anxiety throughout every piece of your life. The younger you are, the easier it is to deal with. If they target you when you're 45 or 50, it can get into the PTSD realm. Trust me. It happened to me, too.

You can add me to that list. It's a very, very long list of people that this company screwed over….while our failures in management get paid millions of dollars to run the company into the ground.