• Wed news: Lilly’s 4.5B medicine foundry project. 5 FDA decisions to watch in Q4. Hurricane Helene and the health supply chain. Lundbeck taps Charles River for AI-enabled neuro drug discovery. Amgen tax evasion lawsuit. See more on our front page

The AbbVie Culture Change Continues: 100 Scientists Will Be Laid Off

Anonymous

From Pharmalot...

Less than a month after AbbVie quietly disclosed that its chief scientific officer is unexpectedly retiring, the drugmaker is now shaking up R&D and will layoff approximately 100 scientists from its pain discovery program in neuroscience, according to sources. And an AbbVie spokesman confirmed the move.

The R&D changes, which the spokesman says will also involve adding some 90 jobs in such therapeutic categories as dermatology, gastroenterology and renal, are part of a larger transformation that AbbVie is undergoing after being split off earlier this from Abbott Laboratories.

Faced with patent expirations on big-selling cholesterol medicines, the drugmaker is laying off hundreds of sales reps. The TriCor pill, which generated nearly $1.4 billion in sales last year, recently lost patent protection and Niaspan, which notched $976 million in 2012 sales, faces generic rivals in a few months.

The various moves reflect the challenges with which AbbVie ceo Rick Gonzalez was saddled as a result of the spin-off. Although dubbed as a research-based pharma unit for investor consumption, the drugmaker has portfolio issues that extend beyond its aging cholesterol franchise.

Notably, AbbVie is also dependent on the Humira rheumatoid arthritis treatment, an $8 billion-a-year seller with a 2016 patent expiration. To what extent continued sales growth is assured is unclear. The treatment is a complex biologic, suggesting a biosimilar will not appear immediately, but a citizen petition was filed with the FDA last year to thwart rivals.

As noted previously, the AbbVie pipeline is otherwise is overly dependent on the competitive hepatitis C market, which underscores the need for Gonzalez to remake R&D. In fact, sources say that he has repeatedly emphasized the need for a ‘culture change’ and the departure of chief scientific officer John Leonard coincides with that dictate.

<

Honestly abbvie is a shell game at this point, they have lost tricor, trilipix, niaspan, and andro and synth is right behind them. If anyone thinks that humira can run this ship and support the stock price they are nuts. Duodopa is just above an orphan drug; HVC will be hard to catch on as a blockbuster. I hope I am wrong ....but look at the pipeline....really take a hard look and find what will replace the erosion in humira and the loss of billions in revenue from CC drugs

Think about this: If you are a physician or have a Masters or Doctoral degree how would you feel to have this guy as CEO?

Depends on how much I'm being paid as a physician, or have a Masters or Doctorate. Toss enough dead presidents my way and I don't care if Huckleberry Hound is running the show.

A hundred scientists are worth far more than one CEO with a high school diploma. Really they should layoff RG and keep the scientists. I wonder what is meant by culture change?

perplexed retiree

A hundred scientists are worth far more than one CEO with a high school diploma. Really they should layoff RG and keep the scientists. I wonder what is meant by culture change?

perplexed retiree
Out with the old and in with the old? Outsource to different cultures? Get rid of everyone to act like you are doing something when really you can't come up with anything else. Buy some new computer systems. You know. SOS.

perplexed retiree

It is all about RESULTS!! No drugs from coming from R&D than No Scientists retained!! Easy equation, moron!!

Out with the old and in with the old? Outsource to different cultures? Get rid of everyone to act like you are doing something when really you can't come up with anything else. Buy some new computer systems. You know. SOS.

How many Pain drugs has Abbott gotten approved in the last 20 years.
All of R&D needs to be turned over. The real question you should be asking is: does Gonzo have the balls to do this, or are the same old people on all levels who have failed at making any new discoveries going to remain.

How many Pain drugs has Abbott gotten approved in the last 20 years.
All of R&D needs to be turned over. The real question you should be asking is: does Gonzo have the balls to do this, or are the same old people on all levels who have failed at making any new discoveries going to remain.

Actually we do have some fantastic homegrown drugs in oncology. The problem is the incompetence at the level of associate director and above. These guys have no clue of what to do. At a scientific advisory meeting, external oncologists told mgmt - you guys can't see a drug if it stares you in the face. Problem is mgmt and an unbalanced influence of the commercial organization, which the advisers cautioned against, to no avail.

It is all about RESULTS!! No drugs from coming from R&D than No Scientists retained!! Easy equation, moron!!
Ugh. And why should Gonzo stay? I would think the leadership has some responsibility to the failures of AbbVie/Abbott. It is always easy to point fingers but sometimes poor leaders bring about poor results. In fact they should be held accountable for the failures. Good leaders can bring out the best in their employees. This is just a bunch of bs crap and the same idiots are likely to repeat history with new scientists. Mutiny! I make a call for new leadership to replace the current leadersh*^%*&*t.

Here's an idea. Why don't all the scientists and everyone who thinks they can run this company better pitch in, mortgage their homes and take the company private? Then the scientists won't have any interference and everything will be fine.

Right?

Here's an idea. Why don't all the scientists and everyone who thinks they can run this company better pitch in, mortgage their homes and take the company private? Then the scientists won't have any interference and everything will be fine.

Right?

Yuh, great idea. We should all pitch in and pay for the mess of this leadershi)*&%t that was 20 years in the making. You must be a member of the aforementioned leadershi)#%^&*t. Why would we do that when we can go buy or inlicense some drug from some itty bitty startup that doesn't come with thousands of lazy ass lifers who talk and eat too much.

Let's face it: ABT has never been a "discovery" or "invented here" company. It has been, for about the last 60 or 70 years, a company that buys things from other companies, puts whatever it is in a new box, then markets and sells the heck out of it. Simple. And profitable. ABBV is just following the same path with the same people. New name, new box, same company.

Let's face it: ABT has never been a "discovery" or "invented here" company. It has been, for about the last 60 or 70 years, a company that buys things from other companies, puts whatever it is in a new box, then markets and sells the heck out of it. Simple. And profitable. ABBV is just following the same path with the same people. New name, new box, same company.

Right. I am not one to give accolades but again, if the marketing /salespeople can sell the hell of that POS dangerous drug with a bazillion side effectsand aes called Humira, then they really are the lifeblood and brain trust of this company. They are true miracle workers. Sorry scientists but you do fall short in my opinion. When I found out Humira was a blockbuster I almost fell on my ass and passed out. I had seen the commercials with ae called death. Yet those commercials somehow always left me feeling warm and fuzzy cuz those marketing people are Wizards!