• Fri news: New Novo obesity prospect linked to psychiatric side effects. Summit beats Keytruda in NSCLC. DermaSensor skin cancer detection device. Astellas digital health product. Sanofi MS data. See more on our front page

Takeda dumps Edarbi

<

It may be old news but it speaks to the state that Takeda finds its self in....post 1 has a point. If Ebarbi was doing 1/3 of what Takeda was anticipating they would never sell the rights to promote Ebarbi. Bottom line...Edarbi sucks and Takeda needs to get rid of the product. They can't afford to carry a product that doesn't even pay for the sales force. Kinda feel bad for Arbor reps. By the way, I've never ran into an Arbor rep...do they even exist?

It may be old news but it speaks to the state that Takeda finds its self in....post 1 has a point. If Ebarbi was doing 1/3 of what Takeda was anticipating they would never sell the rights to promote Ebarbi. Bottom line...Edarbi sucks and Takeda needs to get rid of the product. They can't afford to carry a product that doesn't even pay for the sales force. Kinda feel bad for Arbor reps. By the way, I've never ran into an Arbor rep...do they even exist?

It's a win win for Takeda. Not sure what OP's point is. We are launching a new product in dec. Most of these reps will be selling the new drug. You say edarbi sucks and that's why we need to get rid of it but we just did. Do what's your point???

It's a win win for Takeda. Not sure what OP's point is. We are launching a new product in dec. Most of these reps will be selling the new drug. You say edarbi sucks and that's why we need to get rid of it but we just did. Do what's your point???

This is the point.

Takeda spent hundreds of millions of dollars and many years developing the most potent arb in the market where there remains significant unmet medical need. And the commercial leadership at TPUSA is so incompetent that they couldn't even turn a profit on Edarbi. Didn't have to be a blockbuster, and yes lots of generic competition. But the launch was a face plant.

Now the leadership at TPUSA might feel that they are quite clever because they have dumped Edarbi and got some cash for it. But what does it mean that Edarbi is more valuable to a niche pharma company than to TPUSA? It means that they feel there is value there that TPUSA couldn't extract.

So as the rest of Takeda looks at TPUSA what do they think? Do they think they are clever because they dumped a dog product? Or do they think that it is yet another failed launch by an incompetent and dysfunctional organization?

If I was Yasu, I would drastically downsize TPUSA and launch future drugs though partnerships. That model created success, our current model create flops.