Survey for Managers....

<

Tell the truth!

How many of you CTLs would return to a rep career?

We know its considered an insult by many managers, but tell the truth.
Would you return?

I did for two years and loved it, so did other managers. Some of us are back in the ctl gig and others reps, all due to vast cuts over the years. I think it should be mandatory for ctl's to become reps for 6-12 months every five years. I know of mrl folk, market research, ctl's and HSC's that took sales gigs during cuts even though they had external offers. Most are humble and enjoy what they do regardless of titles & perks. Many of them will probably move upwards again as they have talent, motivation and a good attitude. Again, any person in the same job for five years at this company should be required to do another position for a spell. This goes for the ceo to IT to fleet services. People need to experience new teams, skills, products and the like. Bring in the right person into a team and everyone shines. That is the Jack Welch way, shake it up and raise the bar.

I did for two years and loved it, so did other managers. Some of us are back in the ctl gig and others reps, all due to vast cuts over the years. I think it should be mandatory for ctl's to become reps for 6-12 months every five years. I know of mrl folk, market research, ctl's and HSC's that took sales gigs during cuts even though they had external offers. Most are humble and enjoy what they do regardless of titles & perks. Many of them will probably move upwards again as they have talent, motivation and a good attitude. Again, any person in the same job for five years at this company should be required to do another position for a spell. This goes for the ceo to IT to fleet services. People need to experience new teams, skills, products and the like. Bring in the right person into a team and everyone shines. That is the Jack Welch way, shake it up and raise the bar.

In the distant past promotion to higher response ability was meritorious and demanded extensive broad experience eg

Minimum 10 years office rep
Minimum 3 years hospital rep
Minimum 3 years rotation in home office assignments
Minimum 3 years as office DM before assuming a hospital DM
After these were completed you would then be considered for top management positions / all promotions made internally

When this process was thrown to the curb the company went rapidly down hill

I know MANY managers that went back to being a rep(about 12-15) and all seemed to love the decision they made. I was one of them. A manager for 5 years and then a rep for 6 years before retirement. Best decision I made. I noticed I was losing touch with how to sell as a manager as all I did was watch others sell, attended a lot of meetings, and did a ton of paperwork. I felt like a glorified secretary for the DCO. I also was very vocal during Executive Team meetings which created heat on my butt. I had no problem disagreeing with strategies if I felt they were wrong. Even DCO favorites felt a lot of heat, as did the DCO from the VP! Life is too short, so I decided to go back to doing what I love, and that was conversing with physicians, many of whom I still go out to dinner with. My DCO was very supportive as she could then put another "yes man" on her Executive Team. Also, stepping back allows you to keep your salary you had as a manager(not bonus pool or options though). Don't get me wrong. I loved the teams I managed and the experience I had at Merck! Great company, but you need to find the right fit. Mine was being a rep. Greatest job in the company hands down! Do what you love in life.

In the distant past promotion to higher response ability was meritorious and demanded extensive broad experience eg

Minimum 10 years office rep
Minimum 3 years hospital rep
Minimum 3 years rotation in home office assignments
Minimum 3 years as office DM before assuming a hospital DM
After these were completed you would then be considered for top management positions / all promotions made internally

When this process was thrown to the curb the company went rapidly down hill

Yes yes yes, I remember these times. Bring them back. Also remember that they wanted you to be an hsa before becoming a hospital manager. Good times, good times.

The "rotation" didn't need to be at hq, there were field based rotations and also region office jobs.

Would you do it now? As an inventiv rep?
No pension. No 401K roll. No vacation or bennies like everyone else on your team?

Unless you're already fully vested with all your retirement bennies and pension it makes zero sense.....

Poster 8 here...to answer your question I would say no. It was an easy decision for me due to staying with Merck and managers salary. Sorry if you aren't being given that choice. I feel for those still at Merck that are going through these type of changes.