• Tue news: Starboard wants to hold Pfizer leadership accountable. Moderna norovirus vaccine. Health insurer merger talks. Editas looks for CRISPR partner. Otsuka kidney disease trial. See more on our front page

Super Shady Bonus Structure

anonymous

When I was hired, I was told my bonus would be a certain amount at 100% attainment.

Az adjusts bonus down based on lofty pedictions, that are unattainable.
Is this their way of saving money during the enterprise years.
Is this legal??

When I was hired, I was told my bonus would be a certain amount at 100% attainment.

Az adjusts bonus down based on lofty pedictions, that are unattainable.
Is this their way of saving money during the enterprise years.
Is this legal??

It has always been a dart toss. Nobody at AZ has any idea why their bonus ends up being what it is. That is done intentionally to hide the fact that AZ incentivizes people to sell off label in order to hit unreasonable sales targets. That is the ugly truth in Pharma not just AZ.

I don't feel it's to incentive off label sales. However there's zero transparency in calculations. No way of telling what providers or hospital accounts actually count toward your fsip depending how you're paid. Blocking rules. Wrong incentive addresses. The list goes on.

Not a chance you could calculate your own payout like real sales organizations.

Remember, the more complicated a sales incentive structure is, the less it works in a Rep's favor. It's nearly impossible to figure it out. Always been bad at AZ, but never this bad. I'm sure they have a set budget for bonus and tweak the numbers to make it fit the "budget". The budget is probably just lower than its every been.

Remember, the more complicated a sales incentive structure is, the less it works in a Rep's favor. It's nearly impossible to figure it out. Always been bad at AZ, but never this bad. I'm sure they have a set budget for bonus and tweak the numbers to make it fit the "budget". The budget is probably just lower than its every been.

So true. In the past at least you had a target to hit and at least had some idea of what was happening. Now its a complete mystery. Just gotta beat my teammate to the left or right. So, I'm not giving away any "best practices"

Have you heard about the way respiratory is paid on Symbicort? Put into "neighborhoods" and this only ensures slackers are bonused and going to COE! Totally f'd up in opposite world!

Hardly, it ensures that those in high volume "branded" business territories that have a total growth advantage don't always win. It levels the playing field of the nation with vastly different branded business opportunities and the reps in high branded territories that think they are Rock Stars!

Hardly, it ensures that those in high volume "branded" business territories that have a total growth advantage don't always win. It levels the playing field of the nation with vastly different branded business opportunities and the reps in high branded territories that think they are Rock Stars!

When bonus structure is questionable or too much gray area, bottom line is to remember this is "a job." It's not a career for most reps at this time. Do what you do for your "job" and know exactly where you stand with it. Bonus is great, but never guaranteed. Do your "job" and take what you know you are paid. Beyond that, consider the risk vs benefit, which obviously still includes losing your job. For those who choose to put their heart and soul into this, I'd do a serious gut check and step into the real world.

Have you heard about the way respiratory is paid on Symbicort? Put into "neighborhoods" and this only ensures slackers are bonused and going to COE! Totally f'd up in opposite world!

Look, the COE has been a totally fucked up facade since almost the beginning. There are too many examples to count where people were fired either just before going to COE or just after because it was discovered that they hadn't even been going to work sometimes for many months. Does are PSS out there really think that what they do is that much different than every other PSS? If it was true then the super stars would win COE every friggin year.