• Thurs news: AbbVie Parkinson’s drug. Arch raises $3B biotech fund. Biogen dropping failed Sage tremor drug. AZ gets sought-after Tagrisso OK. Pfizer withdrawing sickle cell med. See more on our front page

specialty sales rep - decent?

anonymous -

Saw a specialty sales position on linkedin the other day, applied and just got a call from a recruiter about it. He was telling me there is like a 6-8% 401k match, near-100k base salary + bonus, great insurance, strong territory, comp car, etc.

What he couldn't tell me was what the manager was like, ride alongs, etc. Is allergan a decent place to work? I currently have a super cushy sales job and see my manager like twice a year. Used to work for a smaller pharma company and the ride alongs every other week drove me away. Is it the same here? Micromanagement? Or is it a decent place to work? This would be a solid bump in pay for me so I'm willing to put up with a little extra in exchange for that.

<

Saw a specialty sales position on linkedin the other day, applied and just got a call from a recruiter about it. He was telling me there is like a 6-8% 401k match, near-100k base salary + bonus, great insurance, strong territory, comp car, etc.

What he couldn't tell me was what the manager was like, ride alongs, etc. Is allergan a decent place to work? I currently have a super cushy sales job and see my manager like twice a year. Used to work for a smaller pharma company and the ride alongs every other week drove me away. Is it the same here? Micromanagement? Or is it a decent place to work? This would be a solid bump in pay for me so I'm willing to put up with a little extra in exchange for that.

AGN is being run into the ground by management. Have you paid attention to the stock lately? Should tell you all you need to know.

Man if you got a "super cushy sales job" why the fuck you tryna leave and come to this dumpster fire?

As far as micromanaging..... just depends on the manager you get.
Your concern should be controlling your own destiny. Too many different partners that will be involved selling the same drugs you do but yet you’ll be held responsible for those numbers.

As far as micromanaging..... just depends on the manager you get.
Your concern should be controlling your own destiny. Too many different partners that will be involved selling the same drugs you do but yet you’ll be held responsible for those numbers.

The above post is right on, this company is a total smoke and mirrors show. Rotating products, partners, weightings from quarter to quarter. At the end of the year it’s is 80% luck and 20% anything you actually do to make impact that determines your performance. But YOU will be 100% responsible for all numbers with no exceptions, good or bad.

i agree with the 2 previous posts. I still wonder if the section on rankings on our field ride may not be a liability to the company.
So you hold one specific rep accountable for his rankings yet 7-8 diff reps may be involved in selling one of your drugs and then 5-6 reps may be involved in selling another of your drugs, etc.
And htf do you sell 4 drugs basically weighted af 25% each in today’s environment. Heck you couldn’t effectively do that 20 years ago. Just a good way to manage people out with the numbers eventually don’t fall your way. Cause you’ll have ZERO control over your own destiny

The top 3 posts are homing in on the truth. The exception, however, is that when AGN wants you gone...,,for whatever reason, it’s never officially about performance. They acknowledge that they can’t hold reps accountable for performance because of the reasons mentioned above. If you want to control your destiny, you are at the wrong company. The telltale sign that they want you gone is that your field ride evals start to suck on behaviors....not performance. All of a sudden you can’t do a total office call, close, pre call plan etc. NEVER volunteer to your DM any areas that you think you could improve and give them a foothold. “Rep admits to needing improvement on bla bla bla.” Churn and burn...you are nothing.