• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

SciGuy: Anthem Half Tablet Program

anonymous

Not sure this is new, but recently received mailing from Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield:

How do you save money with the Half Tablet program?

Your doctor writes a new prescription for twice the strength. You cut the new pill in half and take only half a pill instead of a whole one. You'll save money every time because your copay or coinsurance will be less.

There is something so messed up with this "program", not least of which is the risk of mis-dosing due to inaccurate halving of tablets. Is this a problem with how Pharma companies price their drugs (i.e. 20 mg tablet not 2X cost of 10 mg)? Or how they manufacture, i.e. with a score line on tablet, which would seem stupid. Make all our pills spherical or in liqui-gel form to prevent this insurance company nonsense!

How can a Pharma company even sign up with these clowns to administer their benefit programs?

<

Not sure this is new, but recently received mailing from Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield:

How do you save money with the Half Tablet program?

Your doctor writes a new prescription for twice the strength. You cut the new pill in half and take only half a pill instead of a whole one. You'll save money every time because your copay or coinsurance will be less.

There is something so messed up with this "program", not least of which is the risk of mis-dosing due to inaccurate halving of tablets. Is this a problem with how Pharma companies price their drugs (i.e. 20 mg tablet not 2X cost of 10 mg)? Or how they manufacture, i.e. with a score line on tablet, which would seem stupid. Make all our pills spherical or in liqui-gel form to prevent this insurance company nonsense!

How can a Pharma company even sign up with these clowns to administer their benefit programs?

That's pretty messed up. So, when do the insurance companies get sued?

Have any of you ever done any elder care? Older people have enough trouble timing their meds, even knowing which ones to take... I would say this is very very wrong, except possibly if it's one of Shrkeli's pills.