• Mon news: Takeda layoffs. Novo’s semaglutide cardiovascular win. Roche’s Vabysmo in DME. Gilead/Merck HIV combo. Supernus quick-acting depression med. See more on our front page

SAW MY JOB POSTED.. REPLACED BY 35K sample dropper

Anonymous

I was not retained, so I started my job search. I can't believe I found my position listed in my geography- it posted today. It is a contract sales force that is offering 35K a year, wants 4 yr degree and states you will be dropping samples basically. No company car. It seems like they could have atleast got the severance package out to us before they post these jobs. Good luck to those who stayed.

Mine too! Went to a job search site, and sure enough, my job was listed with Publics. Requirements were a little different, i.e. Associates degree only, but it clearly stated that this was a NON-SELLING positon, with no car ("Must be able to procur and keep personal car insurance). Ahh, the future of Pharma! I love how the separation pakage has the detailing of the "New Customer Facing" model, which clearly states that they are responding to physicians' desire that AZ brings "additional value to them" by providing what they need. Simply put, they (customers) want samples, and that's it. Drop them and get the F*CK OUT! So for once, the company is actually doing what the customers want!

All pharma companies have run the numbers.. $35K, car allowance, maybe $3-4K bonus for hitting your sample dropping numbers.. can hire/fire as many as they need thru contract company..no additional management overhead etc..that's the future for 80% of pharma 'sales'

All pharma companies have run the numbers.. $35K, car allowance, maybe $3-4K bonus for hitting your sample dropping numbers.. can hire/fire as many as they need thru contract company..no additional management overhead etc..that's the future for 80% of pharma 'sales'

And as AZ cuts costs to the bone, what will become of the executives' salary and perks? What will happen to consumer prices for the products still protected by the government?

Perks and salaries will increase astronomically, as will prices on goods protected by the government (understand that's us. We are the government.)

Don't take this shit guys. Throw the unproductive pharma phonies out on their white collar criminal asses!!

The cold hard truth is that the CSA's move share. They had planned to ramp up by an additional 300 before layoffs announced. Now they are increasing another 300. Say hello to the future of pharma sales!

The cold hard truth is that the CSA's move share. They had planned to ramp up by an additional 300 before layoffs announced. Now they are increasing another 300. Say hello to the future of pharma sales!

It might make sense for you to move on over to one of the contract rep forums and spread your immense knowledge of the pharma industry future with them.

I feel sure they would be more interested in what you have to say.

This is no surprise. In any given area 95% of the opportunities for pharma are with contract companies. Seems like some small startups are even embracing the CSO model. The days of salary increases are over as one will be stuck jumping from contract to contract. It's all about managed care, signatures, scripted messages, and direct to consumer advertising.

I am a rep from another company and I was called about one of the publicis/AZ contracts. They told me they could get me a base in the 70s. I didn't ask about bonus. I said no to even interviewing, but I thought it was ironic since I knew about your layoffs.

Not sure if that information makes you feel better or worse, but they weren't talking 35 base

I am a rep from another company and I was called about one of the publicis/AZ contracts. They told me they could get me a base in the 70s. I didn't ask about bonus. I said no to even interviewing, but I thought it was ironic since I knew about your layoffs.

Not sure if that information makes you feel better or worse, but they weren't talking 35 base

The 35k contract positions are for CSA's - Customer Service Associates. Totally different. Many are fresh out of college and yes, they will just sample drop and leave literature, talk about managed care maybe. Gee... Isn't that what many of us do in these offices where we have little access?!? Gut check.

The other contracts are sales positions - they do everything they did as a direct rep - except now it's on a contract and pay is lower. But really, it's not THAT low people.
60k-70k base typically, 20% bonus on top of that if you reach your goals. No signature requirement. How could there be when you've still got 4 reps sampling a product in an office and some overload them?!

Anyway, the 35k CSA positions are different, but they make sense from a business standpoint. As for the others, if we're being honest, it's fair. We all get paid pretty well for what we do. The frustration and depression comes when you can't acknowledge that or be happy with it. Sometimes we make a difference, probably more often than not we don't. But if you do what you can, you'll be okay with it. I finally figured that out and I'm content. This is just a job to me, not a career. When I can't take it any more, I'll move on and, yes, it will be OUT of the pharmaceutical industry.