Sales Reduction Announcement in August???

Anonymous

News articles are talking of massive layoffs being announced in August. Anyone have knowledge of sales being included? Only research facilities and manufacturing plants mentioned in articles.

<

News articles are talking of massive layoffs being announced in August. Anyone have knowledge of sales being included? Only research facilities and manufacturing plants mentioned in articles.

Yes! Its a definite. The salesforce will definitely be included in the massive layoffs in August. I'm absolutely sure of this. Really. Its August. No need to ask anyone else. I'm positive.

I work in HQ...participated in a meeting today with senior sales leadership. The plan approved by the board of directors last week is to reduce the sales force by 90% by the end of the year. This plan is set in stone and is not subject to change. Reductions will be based upon tenure...we will retain the 10% of representatives that most recently joined Merck. Good luck to all of my sales colleagues!!

I work in HQ...participated in a meeting today with senior sales leadership. The plan approved by the board of directors last week is to reduce the sales force by 90% by the end of the year. This plan is set in stone and is not subject to change. Reductions will be based upon tenure...we will retain the 10% of representatives that most recently joined Merck. Good luck to all of my sales colleagues!!

Don't you love how people love to mess with other people? Here's the deal so get ready. There will be layoffs. People will lose their jobs. Let us hope not too many but it seems it is going to be a blood bath. The reality of our industry is pressing upon us so we're next in line to the massive change that the generic cliff has in store for us. Pfizer is next then the rest of the industry will be dangling from that top rung on the Titanic, waiting to be dropped into the abyss. Bottom line: IT SUCKS!!! I love this job and I don't want to do anything else. And that's the bottom line.

So the milking mother legacy reps with their platinum gold salaries and mega pensions go before those who really need the jobs?

They will not hit sales hard because weather you like it or not they are needed. Sales is declining on a global scale and not regional. If certain regions underperformed in relationship to their peers that region would get crushed. That is not the case. Plus in the grand scheme of things they don't make a lot of money compared to R&D. R&D will unfortunately will get a large amount of the layoffs for now. They will move departments overseas for half the price with no pension. Waves 2,3 and 4 is anyone's guess. Merck has such a high burn rate of money that they need to get the numbers aligned with loss in sales when the drugs go off patents. The real layoffs will happen during the end of this year. packages will be cut by 66% and it will become more cost effective to do it.

Don't you love how people love to mess with other people? Here's the deal so get ready. There will be layoffs. People will lose their jobs. Let us hope not too many but it seems it is going to be a blood bath. The reality of our industry is pressing upon us so we're next in line to the massive change that the generic cliff has in store for us. Pfizer is next then the rest of the industry will be dangling from that top rung on the Titanic, waiting to be dropped into the abyss. Bottom line: IT SUCKS!!! I love this job and I don't want to do anything else. And that's the bottom line.

"I love this job and I don't want to do anything else. And that's the bottom line.".....so go sell somethings else! Every industry has sales people.

They will not hit sales hard because weather you like it or not they are needed. Sales is declining on a global scale and not regional. If certain regions underperformed in relationship to their peers that region would get crushed. That is not the case. Plus in the grand scheme of things they don't make a lot of money compared to R&D. R&D will unfortunately will get a large amount of the layoffs for now. They will move departments overseas for half the price with no pension. Waves 2,3 and 4 is anyone's guess. Merck has such a high burn rate of money that they need to get the numbers aligned with loss in sales when the drugs go off patents. The real layoffs will happen during the end of this year. packages will be cut by 66% and it will become more cost effective to do it.

Obama thinks pharm doing well.....