Pharma Gang Of Seven Led By Abbvie CEO Rick Gonzalez

anonymous

Senator Calls Tying Drugmaker CEO Pay to High Drug Price 'Problematic'

By ERIK SHERMAN 8:22 AM EST

AbbVie CEO Richard Gonzalez found himself getting grilled by a Senate panel on Tuesday about executive compensation and the price of the blockbuster drug Humira.

You’ve likely heard of it, as stumbling across television commercials for Humira is easy. Pharmaceutical manufacturer AbbVie, a 2013 spin-off from Abbott Laboratories keeps them running on a regular basis, touting its effectiveness for rheumatoid arthritis, colitis, and psoriasis.

It’s also a major factor in whether the top five executives at AbbVie get a bonus. They did in 2018: 175% of their annual base pay.

“This strikes me as problematic,” said Senator Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) when questioning Gonzalez. “Would you make a smaller bonus if you dropped the price of Humira?”

Gonzalez said that the sales were “one element of a set of financial factors that were evaluated as part of my compensation.”

Humira has been the highest-selling prescription drug for years and, at this point, odds-on favorite to remain so through 2024, according to Pharmaceutical Manufacturing. Its 2017 sales were $18.3 billion, making 65% of the company’s $28.1 billion in revenue.

One secret to its success is that Humira has gained ten different approved uses from the Food and Drug Administration, including orphan drug status, as an AbbVie press release stated. The tactic of addressing a relatively rare disease gives the company additional exclusive selling time reducing competition and enabling higher prices.

A one-year course of Humira runs $60,000. That’s up from its initial $19,000 in 2012, according to the New York Times. The price tripled over six years. Overall, prescription drug prices were up 3.3% between 2017 and 2018.

<

I watched part of the hearing. Rick was awful. He turned Republicans against AbbVie with his bumbling answers. He seemed unprepared for the rough treatment. He should have been better prepared.

Ricks Bonus/Non-Equity Incentive Comp of $4.3M is directly related to Humira sales and Drug pricing.

Base Pay 638,462
Bonus + Non-Equity Incentive Comp $4,331,250
Total Cash Comp $5,969,712
Stock Award Value $9,606,360
Option Award Value $2,559,270

Total Equity $12,165,630
Total Other $993,197

Total Compensation $19,128,539

Highway Robbery

Health and Human Services’ Secretary Alex Azar, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb and the Federal Trade Commission have identified a number of tactics that undermine competition like withholding samples, pay-for-delay, product hopping and rebate bundling. And that just names a few.”

Abbvie investigations (many) are in play.

“Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, argued that the longstanding legal feud between AbbVie and Amgen over a biosimilar might require additional input from the Senate Judiciary Committee”.

I watched part of the hearing. Rick was awful. He turned Republicans against AbbVie with his bumbling answers. He seemed unprepared for the rough treatment. He should have been better prepared.

If you only partially watched it, you can’t properly critique it. Watch it in its entirety and then comment Sonny. Rick was the best if the 7 and was relentlessly attacked compared to the other 6. It’s ALL bs anyway!

If you only partially watched it, you can’t properly critique it. Watch it in its entirety and then comment Sonny. Rick was the best if the 7 and was relentlessly attacked compared to the other 6. It’s ALL bs anyway!

I watched 90% of the hearing, interrrupted only by a short conference call, and Rick was by one of the worst CEOs up there. Maybe the Pfizer guy was worse but I agree with the post above that said he was unprepared and that will cost AbbVie. Republicans said they would launch an inquiry into the Humira patents in the Judiciary Committee because of Rick's failure to adequately answer their questions. He really should have been better prepared and it is potentially going to cost all of us.

I watched 90% of the hearing, interrrupted only by a short conference call, and Rick was by one of the worst CEOs up there. Maybe the Pfizer guy was worse but I agree with the post above that said he was unprepared and that will cost AbbVie. Republicans said they would launch an inquiry into the Humira patents in the Judiciary Committee because of Rick's failure to adequately answer their questions. He really should have been better prepared and it is potentially going to cost all of us.

I agree. He opened the door to a Senate investigation into the Humira patents because he was unprepared. Someone should have told him that this was important.

• fakeq   Mar 04, 2019 at 02:24: AM
Like all else that involves the govt, it will be a long and drawn out process. Especially now with what is going on/coming soon.

My 2cents

So of all the documented non compliant and illegal things Abbvie has done in last five years, and the fact this was ALREADY an investigation its all because of Ricks testimony? WOW I can’t believe you work in Pharma. I’d bet you don’t. Politicians including President Trump wont do Jackshit. They all work together. Anybody with a brain on here?

So of all the documented non compliant and illegal things Abbvie has done in last five years, and the fact this was ALREADY an investigation its all because of Ricks testimony? WOW I can’t believe you work in Pharma. I’d bet you don’t. Politicians including President Trump wont do Jackshit. They all work together. Anybody with a brain on here?

I gotta. Brain I’m smart.... I tell ya I’m smart

I agree. He opened the door to a Senate investigation into the Humira patents because he was unprepared. Someone should have told him that this was important.

yo bro, you don’t have to answer yourself on here. this site has actual traffic. It’s not that shitshow site where the same 10 peeps post repeatedly and are desperate for responses.