• Tue news: Regeneron fails to block Eylea biosimilar. Inside the GLP-1 price war. Novartis inks $1B biobucks deal. UCB/Biogen lupus drug. Lilly Alzheimer’s drug approved in Japan. See more on our front page

Pfizer - Allergan: Will This Deal Happen?

anonymous

By Aseem Rastogi | October 30, 2015AAA |

The question for investors is: Will this deal happen?In my opinion, yes, this deal with likely happen.

The parties say they are in friendly talks, which is a good start. The biggest single obstacle is price, of course. Pfizer Inc. (PFE) may have made a tactical misstep when it didn’t raise the bid for AstraZeneca (AZN) in 2014. Will Pfizer therefore be more accommodating in how much they are willing to pay for Allergan PLC (AGN)? Possibly.

I ran my earlier accretion/dilution math using an AGN price of $381/share, a 30% premium to yesterday’s price. But, as is obvious, the price of AGN a mere three months ago was nearly $340/share, and a 30% premium on that price would be $440/share. There could be creative ways to address a disparity between the "bid" and the "ask," such as using a CVR tied to the continued ability to invert. In my earlier merger math at $381/share, the averageEPS accretion to PFE was around 8% (with out-year accretion of 14%). If I have to step up the price to the midpoint of $381 and $440 (which averages to $410), the accretion drops from 8% to 5% (with out-year accretion of 10%), keeping all else equal.

WHAT WILL BE THE LIKELY DEAL STRUCTURE?
As I said in my earlier analysis, it would likely be an all-share transaction. This is because as long as AGN shareholders own more than 40% of the value of the combined entity, then the proposed changes in the Treasury “letter” from September 2014 don’t apply, and PFE then gets full tax relief. An all-stock deal is why the accretion to PFE’s EPS is not higher.

WHAT ABOUT SHARE BUYBACKS?
This is essentialto make the math work. Already in my accretion/dilution model, I assume hefty share buybacks – but are they hefty enough? On top of the $6-8 B/yr I had already been assuming for PFE’s stand-alone buybacks, I add between $2-5B/yr coming from AGN’s cash flows (with the remaining cash flows going to support the dividend on newly-issued shares that assumes no dividend cut), and I also add $34B in buybacks coming from the cash AGN receives from selling its generics business to Teva. (I spread this evenly over the first two years post deal closure.)

Summed, this is currently $91B in buybacks over a 5-year period. A big and important question is this: could PFE do even more? It does have a trapped pile of cash overseas, and once it “inverts” it will be able to access this without as much of a tax burden. If I I have to assume an additional $20B in buybacks over 5 years (bringing the total from $91B to $111B), my average EPS accretion rises from 8% to 13% (with out-year accretion of 20%), keeping all else equal.

WILL BRENT SAUNDERS RUN THE NEW COMPANY?
This often comes up as a natural succession plan, but rarely, if ever, has PFE taken outside talent and immediately put them in charge of the company, at least in the CEO spot. I think a better question is this: if Saunders makes $100M+ on the transaction, would he even want to run a big, messy global drug company, with all of the headaches it entails? Or, would he rather move onto something a little leaner and meaner? PFE has said a split in 2017 might get pushed back further if a big M&A transaction occurred. If so, does Saunders sit idly by until 2018?

My belief is that Saunders is not likely to block a deal if he isn't promised the CEO spot

Read more: Pfizer - Allergan: Will This Deal Happen? (PFE,AGN) http://www.investopedia.com/article...r-allergan-will-deal-happen.asp#ixzz3q9ehekZM
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

<

This deal will not happen.

Allergan shares were inflated by Valent's interest in 2014. Now that Valent is adjused for its compromised business model PfizEric won't pay the false premium Valent contributed.

Allergan shares were inflated by Valent's interest in 2014. Now that Valent is adjused for its compromised business model PfizEric won't pay the false premium Valent contributed.

?????? If anything AGN is undervalued and VRX helped to align it with where it should have been.

If the deal goes through, how long will it take for changes to take place I.e. Re-org? Will there be a long due diligence process or has this likely already happened?

Are you a Moron? Seriously, are you a moron? It is a done deal. You will be Pfizer employees and everything you know will change, especially lower money.

By Aseem Rastogi | October 30, 2015AAA |

The question for investors is: Will this deal happen?In my opinion, yes, this deal with likely happen.

The parties say they are in friendly talks, which is a good start. The biggest single obstacle is price, of course. Pfizer Inc. (PFE) may have made a tactical misstep when it didn’t raise the bid for AstraZeneca (AZN) in 2014. Will Pfizer therefore be more accommodating in how much they are willing to pay for Allergan PLC (AGN)? Possibly.

I ran my earlier accretion/dilution math using an AGN price of $381/share, a 30% premium to yesterday’s price. But, as is obvious, the price of AGN a mere three months ago was nearly $340/share, and a 30% premium on that price would be $440/share. There could be creative ways to address a disparity between the "bid" and the "ask," such as using a CVR tied to the continued ability to invert. In my earlier merger math at $381/share, the averageEPS accretion to PFE was around 8% (with out-year accretion of 14%). If I have to step up the price to the midpoint of $381 and $440 (which averages to $410), the accretion drops from 8% to 5% (with out-year accretion of 10%), keeping all else equal.

WHAT WILL BE THE LIKELY DEAL STRUCTURE?
As I said in my earlier analysis, it would likely be an all-share transaction. This is because as long as AGN shareholders own more than 40% of the value of the combined entity, then the proposed changes in the Treasury “letter” from September 2014 don’t apply, and PFE then gets full tax relief. An all-stock deal is why the accretion to PFE’s EPS is not higher.

WHAT ABOUT SHARE BUYBACKS?
This is essentialto make the math work. Already in my accretion/dilution model, I assume hefty share buybacks – but are they hefty enough? On top of the $6-8 B/yr I had already been assuming for PFE’s stand-alone buybacks, I add between $2-5B/yr coming from AGN’s cash flows (with the remaining cash flows going to support the dividend on newly-issued shares that assumes no dividend cut), and I also add $34B in buybacks coming from the cash AGN receives from selling its generics business to Teva. (I spread this evenly over the first two years post deal closure.)

Summed, this is currently $91B in buybacks over a 5-year period. A big and important question is this: could PFE do even more? It does have a trapped pile of cash overseas, and once it “inverts” it will be able to access this without as much of a tax burden. If I I have to assume an additional $20B in buybacks over 5 years (bringing the total from $91B to $111B), my average EPS accretion rises from 8% to 13% (with out-year accretion of 20%), keeping all else equal.

WILL BRENT SAUNDERS RUN THE NEW COMPANY?
This often comes up as a natural succession plan, but rarely, if ever, has PFE taken outside talent and immediately put them in charge of the company, at least in the CEO spot. I think a better question is this: if Saunders makes $100M+ on the transaction, would he even want to run a big, messy global drug company, with all of the headaches it entails? Or, would he rather move onto something a little leaner and meaner? PFE has said a split in 2017 might get pushed back further if a big M&A transaction occurred. If so, does Saunders sit idly by until 2018?

My belief is that Saunders is not likely to block a deal if he isn't promised the CEO spot

Read more: Pfizer - Allergan: Will This Deal Happen? (PFE,AGN) http://www.investopedia.com/article...r-allergan-will-deal-happen.asp#ixzz3q9ehekZM
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

Announcement Under Irish Takeover Rules

1:12 PM ET, 10/30/2015 - PR Newswire
DUBLIN, Oct. 30, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- In accordance with Rule 2.10 of the Irish Takeover Rules, Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN) (the "Company") confirms that, as of the close of business on October 28, 2015, the Company's issued share capital, excluding treasury shares, consisted of 394,135,739 ordinary shares, par value US$0.0001 per share (the "Ordinary Shares") and 5,060,000 5.5% mandatory convertible preferred shares, Series A, par value US$0.0001 per share (the "Preferred Shares"). The International Securities Identification Number (ISIN) of the Ordinary Shares is IE00BY9D5467 and of the Preferred Shares is IE00BY9D6T89.

Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150612/222796LOGO

The Company confirms that, as of the close of business on October 28, 2015, there were outstanding 1,350,467 restricted share units (the "Restricted Share Units") and 10,763,384 options to purchase Ordinary Shares (the "Share Options") granted by the Company. Upon vesting, each Restricted Share Unit entitles the holder to receive one Ordinary Share and each Share Option entitles the holder to purchase one Ordinary Share at the applicable exercise price.

The Company also confirms that, as of the close of business on October 28, 2015, there were outstanding performance share units (the "Performance Share Units") entitling holders to receive 641,107 Ordinary Shares upon vesting, assuming satisfaction of the applicable performance criteria at targeted performance.

About AllerganAllergan plc (NYSE: AGN), headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, is a unique, global pharmaceutical company and a leader in a new industry model – Growth Pharma. Allergan is focused on developing, manufacturing and commercializing innovative branded pharmaceuticals, high-quality generic and over-the-counter medicines and biologic products for patients around the world.

Allergan markets a portfolio of best-in-class products that provide valuable treatments for the central nervous system, eye care, medical aesthetics, gastroenterology, women's health, urology, cardiovascular and anti-infective therapeutic categories, and operates the world's third-largest global generics business, providing patients around the globe with increased access to affordable, high-quality medicines. Allergan is an industry leader in research and development, with one of the broadest development pipelines in the pharmaceutical industry and a leading position in the submission of generic product applications globally.

With commercial operations in approximately 100 countries, Allergan is committed to working with physicians, healthcare providers and patients to deliver innovative and meaningful treatments that help people around the world live longer, healthier lives.

For more information, visit Allergan's website at www.allergan.com.

Brent Saunders will never be put in charge of Pfizer because there is no one to sell the company to. Brent can't manage companies, only sell them. Here is my theory on how the deal gets done. Pfizer buys the entirety of Allergan, paying Teva to get lost. Then Pfizer combines Allergan's generics business with their established products unit and spins the whole thing off with Brent in charge. Ian gets his inversion, Pfizer gets rid of the established products unit and Brent has another company he can sell.

Maybe. We will find out soon enough. I didn't say he would be good at it, don't inderestimate the ego or power trip. One thing I will add is that even though we want to put this guy in a box, and say he does the same thing every time, there has been a different spin on every transaction. B&L he sold and just left with his cash. He came on at Forest and sold to Actavis but stayed as the CEO of the new company. Didn't follow the same pattern. He then Bought Allergan ( a huge transaction in itself) Didn't follow the same pattern, then changed the name to Allergan. Sure he couldn't technically sell all of Pfizer but that doesn't mean there isn't a great deal of M&A that he could still do. Is it really the selling that he loves or is "turning around a company" and jacking the stock price up after every move? AGN is trading at over $300, Pfizer is at $35--- you don't think he wants to be the guy that gets PFE to $100 a share? Again, it's all speculation but trust me this guy likes the center stage. have you seen how many times he's been on CNBC or Bloomberg, etc.. They don't put you on there for just taking the cash and riding off into the sunset.

Maybe. We will find out soon enough. I didn't say he would be good at it, don't inderestimate the ego or power trip. One thing I will add is that even though we want to put this guy in a box, and say he does the same thing every time, there has been a different spin on every transaction. B&L he sold and just left with his cash. He came on at Forest and sold to Actavis but stayed as the CEO of the new company. Didn't follow the same pattern. He then Bought Allergan ( a huge transaction in itself) Didn't follow the same pattern, then changed the name to Allergan. Sure he couldn't technically sell all of Pfizer but that doesn't mean there isn't a great deal of M&A that he could still do. Is it really the selling that he loves or is "turning around a company" and jacking the stock price up after every move? AGN is trading at over $300, Pfizer is at $35--- you don't think he wants to be the guy that gets PFE to $100 a share? Again, it's all speculation but trust me this guy likes the center stage. have you seen how many times he's been on CNBC or Bloomberg, etc.. They don't put you on there for just taking the cash and riding off into the sunset.

Exactly what has this guy done other than say yes to deals that the investor class was screaming for? He is nothing but Carl Ichan's sock puppet. Brent taking credit for the Allergan deal coming off is like me standing in the middle of my lawn and claiming credit for the grass growing up around my ankles.

1:12 PM ET, 10/30/2015 - PR Newswire
DUBLIN, Oct. 30, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- In accordance with Rule 2.10 of the Irish Takeover Rules, Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN) (the "Company") confirms that, as of the close of business on October 28, 2015, the Company's issued share capital, excluding treasury shares, consisted of 394,135,739 ordinary shares, par value US$0.0001 per share (the "Ordinary Shares") and 5,060,000 5.5% mandatory convertible preferred shares, Series A, par value US$0.0001 per share (the "Preferred Shares"). The International Securities Identification Number (ISIN) of the Ordinary Shares is IE00BY9D5467 and of the Preferred Shares is IE00BY9D6T89.

Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20150612/222796LOGO

The Company confirms that, as of the close of business on October 28, 2015, there were outstanding 1,350,467 restricted share units (the "Restricted Share Units") and 10,763,384 options to purchase Ordinary Shares (the "Share Options") granted by the Company. Upon vesting, each Restricted Share Unit entitles the holder to receive one Ordinary Share and each Share Option entitles the holder to purchase one Ordinary Share at the applicable exercise price.

The Company also confirms that, as of the close of business on October 28, 2015, there were outstanding performance share units (the "Performance Share Units") entitling holders to receive 641,107 Ordinary Shares upon vesting, assuming satisfaction of the applicable performance criteria at targeted performance.

About AllerganAllergan plc (NYSE: AGN), headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, is a unique, global pharmaceutical company and a leader in a new industry model – Growth Pharma. Allergan is focused on developing, manufacturing and commercializing innovative branded pharmaceuticals, high-quality generic and over-the-counter medicines and biologic products for patients around the world.

Allergan markets a portfolio of best-in-class products that provide valuable treatments for the central nervous system, eye care, medical aesthetics, gastroenterology, women's health, urology, cardiovascular and anti-infective therapeutic categories, and operates the world's third-largest global generics business, providing patients around the globe with increased access to affordable, high-quality medicines. Allergan is an industry leader in research and development, with one of the broadest development pipelines in the pharmaceutical industry and a leading position in the submission of generic product applications globally.

With commercial operations in approximately 100 countries, Allergan is committed to working with physicians, healthcare providers and patients to deliver innovative and meaningful treatments that help people around the world live longer, healthier lives.

For more information, visit Allergan's website at www.allergan.com.
OMG.