Out of town interview expenses??

Anonymous

I was recently invited to Chicago from FL for an interview with a well known medical sales company. The trip involved also going to another city to meet another partner. However, the company won't pay for any expenses. Flights, hotel, rental car, nothing. Is this typical? Does it show a lack of sincere interest in me as a candidate? Should I push the topic? Thanks for any advice.

<

Sounds shady to me. That would be one hell of an expensive trip just for an interview. My advice to you is to say no thank you. What company are you talking to?

huge red flag as to either their commitment or their financial situation. if they are as huge and reputable, then someone is jacking around. either push back or run.

If you're interviewing for a fully benefited sales position (re: salary, commission, expenses, car etc;), the hiring company SHOULD be subsidizing any expenses associated with the hiring process. On the other hand if you're an independent 1099 medical sales contractor, it is unlikely that a manufacturer would pay any travel expenses associated with the sales opportunity that you are seeking.

If you're interviewing for a fully benefited sales position (re: salary, commission, expenses, car etc;), the hiring company SHOULD be subsidizing any expenses associated with the hiring process. On the other hand if you're an independent 1099 medical sales contractor, it is unlikely that a manufacturer would pay any travel expenses associated with the sales opportunity that you are seeking.

I completely disagree. I ran a distributor and every company we represented paid all of my expenses to go to corporate until we brought their lines on. This is an interview! As they say on ESPN "COME ON MAN!"