• Thurs news: AbbVie Parkinson’s drug. Arch raises $3B biotech fund. Biogen dropping failed Sage tremor drug. AZ gets sought-after Tagrisso OK. Pfizer withdrawing sickle cell med. See more on our front page

No pharma reps need apply

<

Had a job interview outside of the industry and guy said he has two reps as neighbors. Then pointed out how both are "home all the time" and always home by 2 or 3 when out. He laughed telling me they brag about hardly working! You fucking wonder why we are not hired. I work my ass off but makes no difference when this is the perception!

Had a job interview outside of the industry and guy said he has two reps as neighbors. Then pointed out how both are "home all the time" and always home by 2 or 3 when out. He laughed telling me they brag about hardly working! You fucking wonder why we are not hired. I work my ass off but makes no difference when this is the perception!

80% of the pharma field force are home 2-3 days per week. The 20% working are forced to do so or be pipped or fired.

The news about our 10-2:30, Tues-Wed-Thurs. lifestyle came from those first cut about 8 years ago. That's part of the reason that its hard for us to land outside of the industry after we get cut. the other parts are: the counterpart or pod system of 3-6 colleagues in the same territory, the short window of time that our customers give us as they sign for samples, and the fact that we have to throw up pre-packaged "verbatims" each time we see a customer.

Be honest now. If you've been in the industry for more than a year you know the truth. We have all played a metrics game to make our boss happy. We have all waved to the doctor and counted that as a call. We have all spent large sums of money on a speaker program that was a waste of time. We have all been coached to give a message. We do not sell. We sort of market. We are kind of like a billboard. Our industry has terrible respect from our customers. Now answer this question and like I said above...BE HONEST NOW.

WOULD YOU HIRE YOU FOR A REAL SALES JOB THAT REQUIRED THE CUSTOMER TO SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE AND PAY FOR AN ITEM?

Be honest now. If you've been in the industry for more than a year you know the truth. We have all played a metrics game to make our boss happy. We have all waved to the doctor and counted that as a call. We have all spent large sums of money on a speaker program that was a waste of time. We have all been coached to give a message. We do not sell. We sort of market. We are kind of like a billboard. Our industry has terrible respect from our customers. Now answer this question and like I said above...BE HONEST NOW.

WOULD YOU HIRE YOU FOR A REAL SALES JOB THAT REQUIRED THE CUSTOMER TO SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE AND PAY FOR AN ITEM?

When I DO the shit above, honestly, I hate myself and the job. The only way to make this job tolerable is to keep it real and do what I know is the best thing for patients and customers. You know, we do not have to message them and close them to move business? Often, they just want an honest discussion with someone who is reasonably intelligent about the product, the competition and honest about where it might be useful. AZ blows it by trying to be all things to all people but "putting the patient first." That is a load of shit and the HCPs know it. I do NOT message. My boss does NOT like that. But he has finally seen some awesome calls and some results/habit change. It is up to each of us to change that perception of industry. You sure do not do it by showing up for lunch and throwing up the company message with your 300 dollar suit or perfect and fresh manicure. (I know docs appreciate eye candy but that does not mean they are going to write your product. They are going to show up and look at your tits.) Truth.

Yes