New to the game

Anonymous

Im looking to get into the rep side of the pharma industry.

I'm wondering how much time will be away from home and family.

The territory is very much spread out. 4 plus hours from point a to point B, and that is one small part of the territory. Love the idea and potential to grow the territory but concerned about the travel especially during the Winter.

Thanks,
Anon

<

Anon, I wanted to share some of my thoughts on how I would approach this. 4 hours is a pretty good drive so yes, you would need to stay overnight depending on the size of the market and potential. The best way to approach it is to break up the territory into zones. It is always best to start and cultivate new opportunities that are closest to home. These are easier to support and develop and the top customers get to see you more. The outlying areas I would allocate perhaps one night every two weeks or so. When you do that, make sure you are stopping off at customers along the way and on the way back to maximize your time and travel.

Mark you territory on a map. Now draw a circle around it. Now draw a cross and split it into 4 quadrants. You have your 4 week cycle. Easy peasy.

Now, when you've figured out where you are supposed to go, those offices requiring more than 1x/mo visit will be easy to integrate. Pick ONE afternoon each week to be in those particular offices.

I've set up dozens of these. If you need help, PM me your list and I'll do it for you.

If I understand you correctly, you have a territory that is much larger than any single four-hour drive. Well, that is the new pharma/biotech/device sales jobs. There are a number of things to consider including the 80/20 rule, prospecting, time to wait on a single customer, key business drivers, requirements from management for targeting, and administrative requirements including reimbursement for auto expenses. I don't travel more than two states but have a target list and call requirement per quarter. The only way to grow my business AND make management happy is to drive three or four hours every day AND make four to six calls. It took me about a month to find everybody. Some of it I did online. I made appointments in groups with key customers in the same area. I made a spreadsheet of all key customers and their location and best time to reach them. This way a long drive is not for nothing and you have the promise of seeing whom you need to see. It is common for me to leave at 7 am and get home or to a hotel at 6 or 7 at night. There are some days I leave at 5 am. In short, obviously, you cannot cover three or four states without some overnights but you also want to have a good plan/route and appointments. There is no bigger waste of time and money then to drive four hours and see no one. Make sure you have multiple appointments or call points in each location. I usually have to leave myself one office day every two weeks just to make calls and set up the next cycle. Good luck and do not forget to leave time for yourself.

Mark you territory on a map. Now draw a circle around it. Now draw a cross and split it into 4 quadrants. You have your 4 week cycle. Easy peasy.

Now, when you've figured out where you are supposed to go, those offices requiring more than 1x/mo visit will be easy to integrate. Pick ONE afternoon each week to be in those particular offices.

I've set up dozens of these. If you need help, PM me your list and I'll do it for you.

Not easy if you have one or two major met areas. Go back to sample dropping you dunce.

Welcome to pharma sales! As a member of a well-respected profession that brings highly valued information and services to medical practices, which benefit physicians and patients alike, you will find that the demands of a large territory are but a small inconvenience when compared to the rewards and feelings of accomplishment and personal fulfillment you are about to experience. You will find that that your expertise and skills are valued not only by your customers and the public at large, but also by your peers and particularly by those in management positions above you, who will respect your unique abilities and trust you to use your own judgement to work most effectively. Your wife and children will understand that the demands of your job will require your absence for periods of days at a time; in fact, they will take great pride in the fact that you have been entrusted with the responsibilites of managing such a large territory and doing such meaningful and important work. If, after a full day of driving share and saving patient lives, and an hour or two of reviewing sales materials and independent role playing in your hotel room, you choose to unwind by hooking up with a slutty blonde you met in the hotel bar, your wife will understand--after all, as a drug rep you're an iconic figure who because of your status and the heavy burdens you bear can be forgiven an occasional transgression. Women will want you and men well envy you. Enjoy.

Welcome to pharma sales! As a member of a well-respected profession that brings highly valued information and services to medical practices, which benefit physicians and patients alike, you will find that the demands of a large territory are but a small inconvenience when compared to the rewards and feelings of accomplishment and personal fulfillment you are about to experience. You will find that that your expertise and skills are valued not only by your customers and the public at large, but also by your peers and particularly by those in management positions above you, who will respect your unique abilities and trust you to use your own judgement to work most effectively. Your wife and children will understand that the demands of your job will require your absence for periods of days at a time; in fact, they will take great pride in the fact that you have been entrusted with the responsibilites of managing such a large territory and doing such meaningful and important work. If, after a full day of driving share and saving patient lives, and an hour or two of reviewing sales materials and independent role playing in your hotel room, you choose to unwind by hooking up with a slutty blonde you met in the hotel bar, your wife will understand--after all, as a drug rep you're an iconic figure who because of your status and the heavy burdens you bear can be forgiven an occasional transgression. Women will want you and men well envy you. Enjoy.

I just laughed so hard coffee came out my nose. I am speechless. The truth is that your life will grow to suck so much that this job will damage your mind and soul and any relationship you have or family life to such a degree that the only comfort you will get is from some meaningless hook-up on the road. I don't even tell anyone what I do for a living b/c either they say, "You should do something else that uses your brain/talent" or they ask me a shitload of medical questions thinking I certainly must have all the answers. Since I am trained to message and not really think, I pretty much bow out of that conversation. Doctors have mostly shut their doors. So, don't bother even trying anymore. Managers that are left are just as scared as you are and only want to fill out their paperwork and play the game. They will fire you in a heartbeat if you are not helping them hit their numbers. . . but your post was very, very funny.

One of the best posts I have ever read on CF. I have friends still in the business; they believe they are special. One recommended that I go to truck driving school to up grade my skills. Those still making 100k and pretending to work is funny to watch and sad at the same time.

One of the best posts I have ever read on CF. I have friends still in the business; they believe they are special. One recommended that I go to truck driving school to up grade my skills. Those still making 100k and pretending to work is funny to watch and sad at the same time.

so many good posts coming out of this. it is funny to see the people that they are hiring in this industry lately, mostly cheerleaders and recent college graduates who think driving a company car means a fullfilling career. its over for most of us that have matured into better careers in life. pharmaceutical sales is a mindset that is not good when you are over thirty. there is no way people that people in there forties are happy in this job. sure, the money is decent, but there just comes a time when you have to put away childish things, and pharmaceutical sales is about the most childish sales job in the history of mankind, because of the silly products that are pimped out and the management team in place at almost all pharmaceutical companies. in my time, there was maybe one person out of thirty people that was worthwhile and a person that you could learn from. the rest were just a bunch of fake people trying to justify their meaningless contributions in the territory.

I am forever surprised at how well some people can fake this job. There are those that go through the motions of a good call and actually work 8 to 5. Then there are the others that make two or three calls and lie about the rest, knowing full well what will fly under management's radar. There are those that fake everything and just don't care if they get caught as they hate it. Then there are the ones that I want to bitch slap. Usually an older chick who not only can lie like a dog but smile and B.S. to boot. They make the job sound all rosey and wonderful and kiss ass like nobody's business. Personally, the job is mindnumbing and a great gig if you're right out of college and planning to keep studying or springboard into something better. For us that are over fifty, are careers are dead in the water with no hope of ever getting out. I have a recent advanced degree and cannot even get a job doing intake for 15 bucks an hour at a mental health facility. I tried for document management jobs. Heck, I can type 90 wpm and have learned all types of software but no one cares. The sense of hopelessness I feel on a daily basis is overwhelming. I see no future and know there is no way to do this in my sixties. From the long driving to the endless hours of computer work and B.S. targeting to the hauling heavy materials and food, I have no idea what I'm going to do. With a few exceptions, I know in some next round of layoffs anyone over fifty-five will be on the chopping block, especially if you've had health issues. What I cannot understand is why our group never unionized. The discrimination, harrassment, bullying and whatnot is worse in this industry than few others. All I can say to "new to the game" is GO BACK TO SCHOOL and get a technical degree. Save 40 percent of your pharma income and plan, plan, plan for retirement or catastrophic illness. Do not count on your job being around in even two more years. Enjoy the perks and do your job but do not think that b/c you may make President's Club, you are safe from a downsizing or someone in management targeting you. Kiss ass. Never visit with customers beyond the common professional greetings. If they get silly or crude, you stay quiet. Do whatever management wants but do not go out of your way to be their go to boy/girl. Being noticed too much for good stuff is nearly as bad as being noticed for the bad. Hit your numbers. If you don't, you will be gone regardless of how much your manager may "like" you. But whatever you do, do not think for a moment you have a career in pharma. Try to get an advanced degree in IT, healthcare, business, finance or accounting, even social media. Good luck and do not take this job too seriously and use it to pay for something better and then get out and never look back.

I am forever surprised at how well some people can fake this job. There are those that go through the motions of a good call and actually work 8 to 5. Then there are the others that make two or three calls and lie about the rest, knowing full well what will fly under management's radar. There are those that fake everything and just don't care if they get caught as they hate it. Then there are the ones that I want to bitch slap. Usually an older chick who not only can lie like a dog but smile and B.S. to boot. They make the job sound all rosey and wonderful and kiss ass like nobody's business. Personally, the job is mindnumbing and a great gig if you're right out of college and planning to keep studying or springboard into something better. For us that are over fifty, are careers are dead in the water with no hope of ever getting out. I have a recent advanced degree and cannot even get a job doing intake for 15 bucks an hour at a mental health facility. I tried for document management jobs. Heck, I can type 90 wpm and have learned all types of software but no one cares. The sense of hopelessness I feel on a daily basis is overwhelming. I see no future and know there is no way to do this in my sixties. From the long driving to the endless hours of computer work and B.S. targeting to the hauling heavy materials and food, I have no idea what I'm going to do. With a few exceptions, I know in some next round of layoffs anyone over fifty-five will be on the chopping block, especially if you've had health issues. What I cannot understand is why our group never unionized. The discrimination, harrassment, bullying and whatnot is worse in this industry than few others. All I can say to "new to the game" is GO BACK TO SCHOOL and get a technical degree. Save 40 percent of your pharma income and plan, plan, plan for retirement or catastrophic illness. Do not count on your job being around in even two more years. Enjoy the perks and do your job but do not think that b/c you may make President's Club, you are safe from a downsizing or someone in management targeting you. Kiss ass. Never visit with customers beyond the common professional greetings. If they get silly or crude, you stay quiet. Do whatever management wants but do not go out of your way to be their go to boy/girl. Being noticed too much for good stuff is nearly as bad as being noticed for the bad. Hit your numbers. If you don't, you will be gone regardless of how much your manager may "like" you. But whatever you do, do not think for a moment you have a career in pharma. Try to get an advanced degree in IT, healthcare, business, finance or accounting, even social media. Good luck and do not take this job too seriously and use it to pay for something better and then get out and never look back.

very true. nursing is a smart play. easy job, lot of jobs, and good pay.

also, I would consider IT security, if you like computers.

lastly, start a business with little money and see what happens. landscaping is very profitable, and you can sell the service, while hiring others to do the work.

idea is to get creative.

great posting...so very true...I could have written this...I am a pharma lifer in my 50s that quit (in disgust) at what the profession had become...too old to get hired anywhere, and way too young to retire...the pharma sales curse...

take it from me people, with pharma sales on your resume for any amount of time, you are dead in the water careerwise...

do as the above poster says...or else you will be in a major hurtlocker...

great posting...so very true...I could have written this...I am a pharma lifer in my 50s that quit (in disgust) at what the profession had become...too old to get hired anywhere, and way too young to retire...the pharma sales curse...

take it from me people, with pharma sales on your resume for any amount of time, you are dead in the water careerwise...

do as the above poster says...or else you will be in a major hurtlocker...

wish I knew of this site when I graduated college over ten years ago!

Dam, it was bad luck to get into this mess. I am young enough to make the change, so its not too bad.

For those into their mid 40s and up, I feel bad for you, especially if you are trying to get out. Still, you can do it, with good networking. Perhaps, you might have to move to a bigger city.

As for the recent college grads, please listen: DON'T GO INTO THIS INDUSTRY!

Its a total mess.

Not only do you not have any career path, but you have no job stability. Also, there are better sales jobs out there, you just have to find them.

Also, these other industries don't treat you like crap. In pharma, even if you are a top performer, you are treated like crap, with things like "you got lucky" or "you had good managed care" or "you have easier access".

You never win in pharma. You just kiss ass all day, to keep your job.

At the end, when I look back, that is what I despised most: the fact that I did very well and produced for the companies I worked for, because I built good relationship with my customers, YET, they didn't care. I was just a number.

At least at other companies, you are respected for bringing in business!