More Bad News

Anonymous

London Calling Archives | Email alerts

June 27, 2011, 7:17 a.m. EDT

AstraZeneca weighs on FTSE; Vedanta climbs
Bank stocks edge mostly lower; Salamander up after oil strikeStories You Might Like

You might like:
•China fund chief: U.S. must reduce deficit
•Michelle Obama, on safari, sees elephant
•Asia slides as banks, energy firms decline
•U.S. stock futures edge up; Greek crisis in focus

LONDON (MarketWatch) — British stocks edged higher in thin trading Monday as investors opted to sit on the sidelines ahead of this week’s crucial votes on Greek austerity measures.

The benchmark FTSE 100 index /quotes/zigman/3173262 UK:UKX -0.17% rose 0.2% to 5,711.55 as stocks wavered between small gains and losses.

Pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca PLC /quotes/zigman/244926 UK:AZN -1.31% /quotes/zigman/134653/quotes/nls/azn AZN -1.55% dropped 1.2% after an update on its dapagliflozin diabetes drug.

The company said patients receiving the drug alongside metformin saw greater mean reductions in baseline blood-sugar levels, but there were also higher incidences of bladder and breast cancer in patients on the drug.

Royal Bank of Scotland analyst Michael Leacock said the trial result “raises serious concerns.”

“We now see little chance of dapagliflozin being approved and we have therefore removed it from our forecasts,” said Leacock in a note to clients.

Add to that the less than stellar report coming out of Plato on Brilinta and it was another blue ribbon day for the AZ pipeline. Nexium went off patent in Europe with Seroquel soon to follow and Lipitor soon to be available in generic form. AZ was designated as having the worst pipeline in Pharma. Can you see the iceberg yet Captain?

Is this surprising? I mean come on. It's par for the course. They destroy everything they touch. Now, we will pay the price, as usual, for their gross incompetence. I know what we can do!!!! LET'S HAVE A MEETING AND ROLE PLAY AND FAKE EXCITEMENT!! The SSLT should be totally replaced. They could never survive a "vote of no confidence". We're done.

People it is not that bad. Brilinta is going to get approved. It just may get a crappy label and the hosp sales force will go bye-bye!

Crappy, limited label means bye, bye, bye to most of MCR. If it gets approved Hospital will be the only place it can be sold. Oh, the light grows dimmer and dimmer.

What a cluster, I'm sooooo glad I found an exit last year. I had to completely remove that damn company from my resume just to get hired though. Selling for pharma was like having a weird uncle that gave you money every time you saw him...but you knew that if you took it he was going to touch you funny.

Looks like plenty people here still have Stockholm syndrome.

What a cluster, I'm sooooo glad I found an exit last year. I had to completely remove that damn company from my resume just to get hired though. Selling for pharma was like having a weird uncle that gave you money every time you saw him...but you knew that if you took it he was going to touch you funny.

Looks like plenty people here still have Stockholm syndrome.
This is the end. This is the end my friends. The smell of death surrounds us. The only compensation for all of the shit we have had to go through the past 3 years is to be around to watch them walk Tilton's ugly ass out of the building. Can you think of one single person who has done more damage to the sales force than him? It only took him 3 years to totally fuck up the SSLT and on down the line to RSD and even DSMs. The ASDs are a total joke and the NSDs are nothing more than marketing toadies from Tiltons's inglorious past. Hey Mike, are you listening? We all hate your fucking guts!

Brilinta will be approved but with a restricted label. Anyway, when Plavix goes generic next May, Brilinta will be totally dead in the water. Sorta like Seroquel XR when Seroquel goes generic next March.

Yeah, this was all so predictable. I'm sure we will have another useless meeting soon to role play crap we never use. God, has management absolutely destroyed this salesforce with their stupid moves like blocking MD's that don't deserve to be blocked. No need to go on with a list of their screw ups. It really doesn't matter anymore.