• Fri news: Gilead withdraws bladder cancer drug. Amgen and Intercept PDUFA date pushback. CVS replaces CEO. Supernus depression trial. AbbVie Parkinson’s approval. See more on our front page

Medical/pharmaceutical sales: the path for losers.

anonymous

If you wonder why you might be miserable as a sales rep in the corporate world, then you should recognize that the industry you are in is utterly worthless and benefits only a few at the top.

Here are some other observations from my 15-20 years of wasted time in this industry. I am retired now and spent the last 15-20 years in teaching, which was a much better experience.

Why this industry is for losers these days.

1. You will be stressed out of your mind everyday.
I don't have to go into detail. But, the micromanagement is out of control these days with phones and computers. When I started in the 1990s, we just had to check voicemail 3X a day. We got maybe 1 email a day, 2 or 3 emails a day was busy. We did about 1 field ride a month, which was still considered a lot back then. Finally, we didn't have to have cell phones!

2. You have no job stability.
Companies make BILLIONS, yet you are still replaceable. Let that sink in. You are not valued, regardless of your productivity and effort. This is an industry for loafers, not go getters. Hard working and smart sales reps are NEVER IN PODS.

3. You are viewed by the public as a clown.
Yes, this is true. Deny it all you want, but smart people don't respect people in medical or pharmaceutical sales. There are some exceptions for products that can make a huge difference. I am referring more to EMT meds, etc. Most disease is cured with good diet and some exercise. I would say over 95%. So, these "me too" products are nothing special. And that is what most of you are selling.

There is much more to uncover, but I have things to do today.

On a side note, teaching is a professional job. Probably the best thing going, if you are a good investor/saver and have leadership skills.

And I guess that was the most disappointing experience for me in this industry: I really never ran into any super intelligent people that understand life very well. Most were just drinkers in college, low GPA, and lacked wisdom on life. It got worse, as I got smarter, and they just got dumber, as well.

Younger people...I really hope you consider this, because if you continue surrounding yourself with these greedy parasites in this industry, you will become like them, and that is not what to aspire to in life. There is more out there. However, if you are a lazy hack, then this industry is perfect for you.

If you wonder why you might be miserable as a sales rep in the corporate world, then you should recognize that the industry you are in is utterly worthless and benefits only a few at the top.

Here are some other observations from my 15-20 years of wasted time in this industry. I am retired now and spent the last 15-20 years in teaching, which was a much better experience.

Why this industry is for losers these days.

1. You will be stressed out of your mind everyday.
I don't have to go into detail. But, the micromanagement is out of control these days with phones and computers. When I started in the 1990s, we just had to check voicemail 3X a day. We got maybe 1 email a day, 2 or 3 emails a day was busy. We did about 1 field ride a month, which was still considered a lot back then. Finally, we didn't have to have cell phones!

2. You have no job stability.
Companies make BILLIONS, yet you are still replaceable. Let that sink in. You are not valued, regardless of your productivity and effort. This is an industry for loafers, not go getters. Hard working and smart sales reps are NEVER IN PODS.

3. You are viewed by the public as a clown.
Yes, this is true. Deny it all you want, but smart people don't respect people in medical or pharmaceutical sales. There are some exceptions for products that can make a huge difference. I am referring more to EMT meds, etc. Most disease is cured with good diet and some exercise. I would say over 95%. So, these "me too" products are nothing special. And that is what most of you are selling.

There is much more to uncover, but I have things to do today.

On a side note, teaching is a professional job. Probably the best thing going, if you are a good investor/saver and have leadership skills.

And I guess that was the most disappointing experience for me in this industry: I really never ran into any super intelligent people that understand life very well. Most were just drinkers in college, low GPA, and lacked wisdom on life. It got worse, as I got smarter, and they just got dumber, as well.

Younger people...I really hope you consider this, because if you continue surrounding yourself with these greedy parasites in this industry, you will become like them, and that is not what to aspire to in life. There is more out there. However, if you are a lazy hack, then this industry is perfect for you.

It's how you are now precieved. In the 70s and 80s you had to be a biology, pre-med, med tech, pharmacist,

Then we went reach and frequency. Hair gel and cheerleaders. We lost all credibility.

When I started my career there were 17,000 reps in the nation. Around 2005 there were 110.000 reps.
Over staturation.

The constant lay offs is dancing with the devil.