Medical Device Sales vs. Software Sales

Medical Device Sales vs Software Sales

• Medical Device

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Software

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

anonymous

I just graduated college and have the opportunity to work in either software sales at a top company or orthopedic trauma sales at the top medical device company. Here is the catch:
the software sales company is an inside sales position for the first 2-3 years and then transitions to field based sales representative.

Most people I speak to ask what is my interest but it is too early for me to decide what industry I want to commit to. Please help.

<

I just graduated college and have the opportunity to work in either software sales at a top company or orthopedic trauma sales at the top medical device company. Here is the catch:
the software sales company is an inside sales position for the first 2-3 years and then transitions to field based sales representative.

Most people I speak to ask what is my interest but it is too early for me to decide what industry I want to commit to. Please help.

Tough one- I would say software because I think orthopedics and trauma are well into the "physician preference" dilemma where purchasing/materials management is starting to squeeze physicians into using what they want them to use (as opposed to what the docs want to use). I think software would position you for better success but 2-3 years behind a desk on the phone may drive you crazy knowing you could be out in front of customers. Personally, taking what I know about this industry (where it has been, where it is now, and where I THINK it is going), I would do software. I would try to accelerate my path to outside sales in that company as fast as possible (shorter than 2-3 years) and then it's off to the races. Software is much harder to "commoditize" and therefore offers more flexibility for how it can be sold. Especially if you get into medical software sales- that's a good segment. Good luck,

Working Trauma can be really rough. Lots of nights and weekends and being a newbie, your senior rep will stick with all the cases and deliveries he doesn't want to do. Tough to have much of a social life and your friends usually don't understand that you are on call and I'm not sure there is a big pot of gold at the end of the rainbow anymore. I think you can make more money in software while having a better quality of life in the long run. Good luck.

Having been a trauma rep and now selling software/capital in Med device I can tell you there is no compare. Being a trauma rep damaged my sales skills. Your more an account manager then anything and 90% is covering cases. The lifestyle is ridiculous and 100% this market is commoditized. This will not be a fun space to be in long term. Selling new tech is so much fun and the money is great. I don't know much about software sales outside of Med device but I am sure it is similar. To me, for all the reasons the original posters listed above, this is a no brainer. Good luck.

Working Trauma can be really rough. Lots of nights and weekends and being a newbie, your senior rep will stick with all the cases and deliveries he doesn't want to do. Tough to have much of a social life and your friends usually don't understand that you are on call and I'm not sure there is a big pot of gold at the end of the rainbow anymore. I think you can make more money in software while having a better quality of life in the long run. Good luck.

Do software sales reps get a company car and gas card like Medical Device reps?

I've worked for the two largest CRM companies and I would say without a doubt software sales. Medical devices sales has fundamentally changed and will probably never recover.

My $0.02.

I've worked for the two largest CRM companies and I would say without a doubt software sales. Medical devices sales has fundamentally changed and will probably never recover.

My $0.02.

I'm guessing Salesforce, SAP, or Oracle... BTW, do you get a company car or a car allowance? If allowance, how much?

absolutely software sales. Ortho sales has come and gone from its prime. You will gain no tangible skills opening boxes in the OR, and the money is not that great anymore. Software is the future. Not to mention a better quality of life