• Fri news: Gilead withdraws bladder cancer drug. Amgen and Intercept PDUFA date pushback. CVS replaces CEO. Supernus depression trial. AbbVie Parkinson’s approval. See more on our front page

Math doesn't add up

Anonymous

If 24 percent are laid off from MCR and MCL it would mean 2-3 layoffs in a district of 10? RG said districts will be smaller but territories larger so... That would mean on average 4 territories per district or 1 mcl rep plus 1 mcr rep in the unified system. Plus overlay. So that means 5 people per team would be let go. Am I missing something? It seems like 50 percent layoffs

Hey Von Stupidstein. It is 1,150 people. Not territories. So they don't touch CVAS, Hosp and Onc. Not big team but it adds up. They cut more in CNS. So the 24% is a number that truthfully represents the number of existing people in cars with badges that will be gone Feb 1. Add the vacancies and it is about 39%.

If 24 percent are laid off from MCR and MCL it would mean 2-3 layoffs in a district of 10? RG said districts will be smaller but territories larger so... That would mean on average 4 territories per district or 1 mcl rep plus 1 mcr rep in the unified system. Plus overlay. So that means 5 people per team would be let go. Am I missing something? It seems like 50 percent layoffs

It's more like 35% - 40% layoffs... Think about it. The announcement from AZ was that they are cutting 24% of the entire US sales force. However, what they didn't announce was that they are not cutting Onc or CVAS/HOSP. Therefore, all the cuts will be coming from CNS, MCR and MCL.

So, mathematically speaking, lets say the entire US sales force was 2000 people. 24% of that number is 480. If that number was subtracted across all teams equally, then yes, we would only be losing a couple of people per district. BUT, lets assume that 500 of those 2000 total people are in Onc and CVAS. Now, you are talking about reductions of 480 out of the remaing 1500 MCL, MCR, and CNS people. That is 33%. More likely, 1 in 3 will be gone from the primary care and CNS teams while CVAS and Onc go untouched...

Well for CVAS and Onc the number affected could be zero, so yes, if you look at say CNS and MCR then the total number mathematically could be well over 24% in those divisions.

Regarding CNS if it gets hit hardest, they might put some displaced folks into MC or possibly another TA if there is a geographic slot, but my guess is that established relationships will make it harder to move someone out, unless low on the totem pole, which will likely happen in some situations.

Well for CVAS and Onc the number affected could be zero, so yes, if you look at say CNS and MCR then the total number mathematically could be well over 24% in those divisions.

Regarding CNS if it gets hit hardest, they might put some displaced folks into MC or possibly another TA if there is a geographic slot, but my guess is that established relationships will make it harder to move someone out, unless low on the totem pole, which will likely happen in some situations.

Can anyone tell me how many people are in each division? MCL MCR etc so we can do the math