• Wed news: Lilly’s 4.5B medicine foundry project. 5 FDA decisions to watch in Q4. Hurricane Helene and the health supply chain. Lundbeck taps Charles River for AI-enabled neuro drug discovery. Amgen tax evasion lawsuit. See more on our front page

Long term medical leave at Abbvie

Anonymous

Is depression still a valid basis for long term medical leave at Abbvie? How severe? What are some other valid diagnoses that would be approved? I have unexplained short term memory loss and problems processing information either heard or read. Is this a basis for a leave, or do I need to show depression as well? I am depressed (who wouldn't be if you can't remember an hour ago) but will mentioning the depression help or hurt my case?

<

Great. Another depressed metabolic rep.

Less than 5% of AbbVie medical leaves are actually legit medical issues that require time off. What makes up the rest is people that are on a downward spiral - put on plans - being investigated - or about to get laid off. Going on leave gives you that cushion of time to start looking for something else or taking vacations, doing marathons, triathlons and posting it all over Facebook....yeah..you're really depressed. It makes the legitimate people who truly have sincere medical needs look bad.

If you go on leave...don't you dare post your depressed self lying in a sunny place on Instagram, Facebook, or twitter! Cannot stand the pretend "crazies" who fool the system and we all have to pay for it. Got it???

Less than 5% of AbbVie medical leaves are actually legit medical issues that require time off. What makes up the rest is people that are on a downward spiral - put on plans - being investigated - or about to get laid off. Going on leave gives you that cushion of time to start looking for something else or taking vacations, doing marathons, triathlons and posting it all over Facebook....yeah..you're really depressed. It makes the legitimate people who truly have sincere medical needs look bad.

If you go on leave...don't you dare post your depressed self lying in a sunny place on Instagram, Facebook, or twitter! Cannot stand the pretend "crazies" who fool the system and we all have to pay for it. Got it???

Sounds like you guys are having fun at Abbvie.

From personal experience of taking a medical leave due to depression with Abbott about a decade ago, please see both a Psychologist (determines proper illness) and a Psychiatrist (prescribes medication). They will coordinate what, if anything, needs to be done. Do not rely on your regular doctor. This is too serious of a subject to fool around. It may take a lot of time to get back on track, but have faith and never give up hope. Try not to hide your condition from family and friends. They are one of the many arms you can lean on throughout this situation. Please visit www.dbsalliance.org and www.nami.org. There are most likely some form of a local support group which brings individuals like yourself together to discuss things "we (depressed)" folks can understand. Feel free to use this forum to ask me questions. Hang in there.

Really hate all the crazies here who spend their lives on medical leave and still get promoted because of their martyred cameo appearances once in a while. Let's get rid of these lazy pariahs. I never saw so many foot surgeries and needless operations in my life. Jeez.