Let the lawsuits begin......And our first contestant is.........ACCIDENTAL DEATH

King of All Things Medical

Yup folks.

Looks like things are going to get nasty over at ISURG.
Looks like the fun and games are over.

http://www.massdevice.com/news/father-sues-intuitive-surgical-botched-da-vinci-hysterectomy

In a lawsuit filed in a New York court, McCalla said that the da Vinci system burned an artery and intestines during his daughter's surgery, further accusing the surgeon and the hospital of carelessness for not discovering the damage.

McCalla claimed that the surgical robot contains dangerous design flaws, including un-insulated surgical arms that may allow electrical currents to jump to healthy internal organs and tissue. He also said that Intuitive didn't properly train physicians to use the device, according to a press release.

The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based device maker has a corner on the robot-assisted surgery market, recently adding gall bladder surgery to its list of FDA-approved indications. The machine, which features a console through which a physician can manipulate robotic arms with surgical tools, has become the preferred option in prostatectomy and is gaining ground in hysterectomies.

and ...........wait for it................

ah yes

"The cost for performing robotic surgery greatly exceeds the type of laparoscopic or open surgery it replaces, and there has been debate in the medical literature whether the extra costs – whether paid by insurance companies, the government or patients – is justified because of claimed better outcomes with the device," according the lawsuit, which alleges that "Intuitive Surgery has not sponsored any comparative safety tests where patients are selected prospectively as compared to just looking at results."

<

because we all know surgery has no risks associated with it. right? I feel bad for this family that is experiencing a loss of a daughter. has a patient ever had a negative outcome in open surgery? was it the fault of the 11 blade? what about lap surgery? was it the fault of the the endo-shears? surgery is risky. I was not an observer of this case and I doubt you were either so none of us truly know how these injuries happened. I doubt it is the end of a company, nor should it be. it is a tragedy. that is all. I think it is interesting that you are so animated about the pending lawsuits. do you work for a company that is losing share to intuitive? that is the only reason you would be juvenile with the subject line of your post. I do not work of intuitive nor have I worked for them in the past. just thought your post was kind of classless.

Yup folks.

Looks like things are going to get nasty over at ISURG.
Looks like the fun and games are over.

http://www.massdevice.com/news/father-sues-intuitive-surgical-botched-da-vinci-hysterectomy

and ...........wait for it................

ah yes

Yup Folks! The “King of all Things Medical” conveniently left out rest of the article.

“According to a study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology in January, complication rates for women with endometrial cancer were roughly the same after standard laparoscopy and robot-assisted surgery”

And yes, the article does point out it cost more:

“although the robotic procedures each cost about $1,300 more”

However……..wait for it……

“patient doesn't pay any more out of pocket, because it is typically a covered benefit”

Thank you “King of all Things Medical” or shall we say “King of all Things Hypocrite”

The quotes are all opinions. Not facts. Sounds like surgeon error. In a car accident lets start blaming the car manufacture and not the driver. Brilliant!

Settle down grasshopper.

“patient doesn't pay any more out of pocket, because it is typically a covered benefit”

love your creativity.......lets see how things are handles if OBAMACARE goes into action.
Do you think it will be covered then???

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Seacrest "OUT"

Oh no.............not again !!!?!?!?!?!?!

Looks like Intuitives attorneys will be burning the midnight oil.

2nd one in under a month.

Sell....Sell.........Sell.........

Another family is suing Intuitive Surgical (NSDQ:ISRG) over a botched hysterectomy using its da Vinci surgical robot.

The personal injury lawsuit, filed by Gwendolyn Jones and Amos Jones Jr. in the U.S. District Court for Northern Alabama, accuses Intuitive of fraudulently marketing a faulty device after her da Vinci hysterectomy allegedly went awry, leaving her with significant injuries to her left ureter and bladder.

The Jones couple wants a jury to award a total of $490 million in damages for the 7 counts it's leveled against Intuitive, including pain & suffering, negligence, fraud, breach of warranty, unjust enrichment, and loss of consortium.

http://www.massdevice.com/news/another-da-vinci-personal-injury-suit-intuitive-surgical-legal-news

The robot went awry?! Please!! That's called a bad surgeon who probably did not ID the ureter and burned it, or had coag set too high, or tried to bivalve while uterus was already detached and no longer grounded.

Stocks at $594 bitches! The lawsuits seem to be having a HUGE effect! The only reason we're part of this suit is b/c we have the deepest pockets. Of course the family will try to sue us and blame the robot.

Oh no.............not again !!!?!?!?!?!?!

Looks like Intuitives attorneys will be burning the midnight oil.

2nd one in under a month.

Sell....Sell.........Sell.........

http://www.massdevice.com/news/another-da-vinci-personal-injury-suit-intuitive-surgical-legal-news

If you followed through on this idiots advice and sold the ISI stocks then by now you are kicking yourself. I like to believe most people who read CafePharma has good understanding of medical device industry and knows no matter how good your product might be there are always lawsuits by greedy lawyers. Name me one medical device company (ISI or larger) that never had a lawsuit. That’s right! Not one! The reality is ISI will get more lawsuits as company grow (globally) and expands its product portfolio. I am sure I am preaching to the choir. Another reality; there will always be guy like this. They will post anything to discredit ISI no matter what. All I can say is this; life is too short, just move on! Look for inner peace!

The only reason this is interesting is because of the language:

"Defendant sold it [sic] device through a calculated program of intimidation and market management, forcing hospitals and physicians to purchase it in order to appear to be competitive, and creating a fear in their minds that if they did not have this technology they would lose business to competitors"...

I'm not sure how Intuitive's heavy handed business practices could legally be tied to a patient injury, but it would be pretty damn interesting to see it argued.

The only reason this is interesting is because of the language:

"Defendant sold it [sic] device through a calculated program of intimidation and market management, forcing hospitals and physicians to purchase it in order to appear to be competitive, and creating a fear in their minds that if they did not have this technology they would lose business to competitors"...

I'm not sure how Intuitive's heavy handed business practices could legally be tied to a patient injury, but it would be pretty damn interesting to see it argued.

Please! It will be thrown out before opening arguments.

Please! It will be thrown out before opening arguments.

More likely that it will be settled out of court, nice and quiet. Intuitive's business model relies heavily on marketing hype to sustain growth. The last thing they want to do is get into open court and explain why patients "need" robotic hysterectomy.

You guys are all crazy if you think this affects ISI. They have teams of attorneys to fight stuff like this. This stuff happens all the time, you just happen to hear about these. Two patients literally bled out on the table and DIED from a sacrocolpopexy in CA. surgeon error and he wasn't trained properly....big surprise. Most da Vinci surgeons are not trained properly. ISI doesn't give it's reps enough time to focus on the training and proficiency of the surgeon. I have seen patients mutilated on the table, the ISI rep encouraging it the who,e time just so the surgeon will get some practice on the robot. Hello that's a fucking person! That's the sick thing, these people forget its a person on the table. Disgusting and unethical.

More likely that it will be settled out of court, nice and quiet. Intuitive's business model relies heavily on marketing hype to sustain growth. The last thing they want to do is get into open court and explain why patients "need" robotic hysterectomy.

You call it "Hype", we call it "Word to mouth marketing"!

You guys are all crazy if you think this affects ISI. They have teams of attorneys to fight stuff like this. This stuff happens all the time, you just happen to hear about these. Two patients literally bled out on the table and DIED from a sacrocolpopexy in CA. surgeon error and he wasn't trained properly....big surprise. Most da Vinci surgeons are not trained properly. ISI doesn't give it's reps enough time to focus on the training and proficiency of the surgeon. I have seen patients mutilated on the table, the ISI rep encouraging it the who,e time just so the surgeon will get some practice on the robot. Hello that's a fucking person! That's the sick thing, these people forget its a person on the table. Disgusting and unethical.

This is science fiction B-rated movie script! Nice try!

People never stop to amaze me. You blame a rep and company because the doc is not properly trained? Hello! It is the docs fault not the reps or company! The doc is responsible for the entire surgery. The reps responsible to have their instruments and implants/devices ready for the surgery. STOP BLAMING THE ROBOT! Blame the arrogant doc!

OH....ok it was a GYN....Are they actually considered surgeons. YES, please keep this quiet because no one should train a GYN for anything!!!!

The model is to make the reps get surgeons to do cases so they hit quota so every customer spends $500,000 per yr on I&A and service; the model is NOT to develop centers of excellence. Lots of innocent people have died from davinci surgery for one reason or another.