• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

Leadership Summit this week - read this Jakob

anonymous

What a joke.

Blame game.

Your leaders are already talking a lot behind your back, especially among the girls from PA today. You didn't see that ?

Oh, and usual, it was the semi-annual SDWI sighting to compliment his racist comedy act at pre-POA.

<

Jakob -

It was just a complete waste of time and I was embarrassed for my colleagues. A lot of under-the-radar scuttle during the meeting itself.

You've got to get positive and set clear direction or your going to lose key people who CAN go elsewhere.

You've got to accelerate things - as its unraveling behind your back already. It's shaping up to be a long winter for you and we fear that you don't realize it as yet. Confidence in your leadership is waning as your ET and sales leaders were unscathed.

We need to and want to succeed but we need more action and inspiration from you.

How does he do it ?

Talent Management ? What an oxyMORON of a title. He makes his appearances at the APIS Comedy stop at pre-POA, shows incredulous photos that are insulting and racist.

The Summit was not about leadership. It was a cloaked undressing and assault that amazingly did not include Andy.

I was offended. And yes smart-one, I'll be leaving.

Anyone been contacted by Harvard Business School for their case study on the collapse of Novo Nordisk?

When exactly did we collapse? Is it the move from double digit growth to single digit growth? I'm pretty sure Harvard can find a few cases where a company actually collapsed as opposed to one whose performance declined, but was still significantly better than the competition. If you think this is a collapse, then you should seriously consider actually reading a few Harvard case studies sometime.

It's so easy to make you look foolish previous poster.

1. Collapse defined: to break down, fall down

2. Let's look at your two key arguments:

a. When is going from double digit growth to single digit growth a failure:

ANSWER:

It's a failure when the double digit growth was fueled by market growth of ~5-6% in insulin and 20+% in ( the even more expensive) GLP-1 segment.

Add on semi-annual price increases of 12-18% (realizing price protection in recent years tempered what hits the net), and without doing a single thing - just riding the wave of diabetes segment growth and price increases, you've grown the business nearly 15%. That's called good luck, being at the right placemat the right time. And yes sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Got the math on that one you dumbass ? Stop breathing your own exhaust.

Now, let's move to your second 'argument': "NNI is still significantly better than the competition"

How's that ? You didn't present any argument to support that claim.

I'd argue Lilly is killing it with a stronger strategy, solid clinical development and real commercial execution.

How is NNI better ?

-CEO stepping aside
-NNI President fired
-CVP of HR fired
-ET (your leadership team) is the same except for one or two spots. How's that better ?

Tresiba is struggling to say the least

Xultophy is delayed (When did NNI last launch on time ?)

Novo's core insulin business of over $4.2B, had been fully commoditized (no sales efforts needed)

Biopharm is deprioritized and with a relatively flat forecast going forward. Facing new competition.

Nearly 500 were just terminated. And that was just Round One.

Stock just hit a 3-year low.

LLY has dramatically outperformed NVO stock past 2 and 3 year periods.

After reading this, do y'all really think Novo Nordisk is significantly better than competition ?

I didn't think so.

ANSWER:

It's a failure when the double digit growth was fueled by market growth of ~5-6% in insulin and 20+% in ( the even more expensive) GLP-1 segment.

Add on semi-annual price increases of 12-18% (realizing price protection in recent years tempered what hits the net), and without doing a single thing - just riding the wave of diabetes segment growth and price increases, you've grown the business nearly 15%. That's called good luck, being at the right placemat the right time. And yes sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Now, let's move to your second 'argument': "NNI is still significantly better than the competition"

I'd argue Lilly is killing it with a stronger strategy, solid clinical development and real commercial execution.

How is NNI better ?

-CEO stepping aside
-NNI President fired
-CVP of HR fired
-ET (your leadership team) is the same except for one or two spots. How's that better ?

Novo's core insulin business of over $4.2B, had been fully commoditized (no sales efforts needed)

Biopharm is deprioritized and with a relatively flat forecast going forward. Facing new competition.

After reading this, do y'all really think Novo Nordisk is significantly better than competition ?

I didn't think so.

Well played. I believe you will only hear the sweet sound of crickets in response. I could add a few more examples but that might expose certain leaders and maybe myself. But I agree with your assessment 100%

ANSWER:

How is NNI better ?

-CEO stepping aside
-NNI President fired
-CVP of HR fired

I didn't think so.

I don't think that you work here. If so, I can think of 3 peoples' positions that you should take. In addition, we could probably toss out Bain, Boston Consulting and ZS Associates, too!

Excellent post.

ANSWER:

How is NNI better ?

-CEO stepping aside
-NNI President fired
-CVP of HR fired

I didn't think so.

Oh Yeah.
Well, our U.S. Sales Leader can lift more weights, and workout harder than your Pharma Co.'s.

And Everyone that hangs on his every word, and now has the same accent as him when they "preach the word" are all really fit as well.

Finally, please don't mention the whole "price increase" thing....kind of a sore subject here.

Oh Yeah.
Well, our U.S. Sales Leader can lift more weights, and workout harder than your Pharma Co.'s.

And Everyone that hangs on his every word, and now has the same accent as him when they "preach the word" are all really fit as well.

Finally, please don't mention the whole "price increase" thing....kind of a sore subject here.

Oh yeah? When was the last time, or first he ever hit his sales forecast? Probably well before hurricane Sandy.

Great post from this morning!

I agree with the assessments of those who followed on and have to say that was the most intelligent post made on CP in a long time.

I'm not sure if you work at Novo, but there's probably more than a few folks who wish you did. Your insights suggest deep knowledge and not Monday-morning quarterbacking.

Interesting though is why are the SAME 22 or so VPs still in place ? That certainly doesn't connote confidence in Jakob's leadership ability.

I do hope that he and the ET secretly troll here. Good stuff to be had.

ANSWER:

How is NNI better ?

-CEO stepping aside
-NNI President fired
-CVP of HR fired

I didn't think so.

You seem really angry. Not sure why.

Your argument above simply explains why we're not doing as well as we were before. I still don't see any evidence of a collapse. Last time I checked, we're still up and running, still making a profit, and still growing our profit. Not really a collapse, is it? You even changed the wording to "failure" - all we failed to do is meet our growth projections, and we only missed them by 1%. You could argue that we failed to meet expectations, but this company is miles upon miles away from a collapse.

And, my comment that we've done better than the competition - both Lilly and Sanofi have had consecutive years with a decrease in operating profit. Ours has grown in both of those years. I can't claim to be a rocket scientist, but when our numbers get bigger and theirs get smaller, I think it's safe to say we're performing better than they are. The industry average is negative growth. We're positive growth. Is that math making any sense to you? I'll concede that their stock has done better in the last 2 years. Our did better for the previous 10 years. But, you measure the health of the business by more than stock price.

You can point to bad things that have recently happened at this company, and they are things that have happened at every company. Lilly has been through lay-offs. Sanofi has been through lay-offs. Their Presidents have stepped down. They've had changes on their ET. Have Sanofi and Lilly collapsed? Are they better than we are simply because they went through what we're going through at a three-fold rate over the last several years, and it just happened to us now?

Look, I'm not pretending that things are perfect here or that we're as good as we used to be. My point is that only a fool thinks this company has collapsed. I'm pretty sure Harvard won't be knocking on our door anytime soon to put together a case study.

Oh Yeah.

I remember hearing a rumor that we were warned in 2013-2014 about our arrogance. Its probably an urban legend, but our actions certainly seemed like we were expecting the good times to never end (i.e. expensive trips to the company homeland, adding more and more mid to upper level staff in Princeton, putting in an entire DCA force, constantly boosting prices of our meds)

"Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall"
- Book of Proverbs

"Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it"- Jorge Santayana

Here is an excerpt to an interview from 2013. Sounds a bit haughty to me!
www.pharmexec.com/how-win-diabetes-space

I stand by my comments which are factual.

Glad to see you're checking in on CP while you're out protesting tonight, walking the streets of some major city in a state that voted for Trump. You probably didn't even vote and you probably don't do your job well.

Get over it my friend. Trump is in, and at the end of Q2 '17, you'll be out.

Novo was indeed warned about arrogance. About 4-5 years ago, EVERY director level and above ( more than 150 leaders), including ET, attended 3 three-day programs at Wharton. I was one of them.

What stood out the most was in fact those warnings around arrogance and complacency.

Boom.

I stand by my comments which are factual.

Glad to see you're checking in on CP while you're out protesting tonight, walking the streets of some major city in a state that voted for Trump. You probably didn't even vote and you probably don't do your job well.

Get over it my friend. Trump is in, and at the end of Q2 '17, you'll be out.

Who are you talking to?

A 33.45 stock price is a clear indication of a collapse. NNI stock is lower than right before the election which is not the same across the pharm sector. Investors are losing faith. I'd say thats a pretty good sign of a collapse.

You seem really angry. Not sure why.

Your argument above simply explains why we're not doing as well as we were before. I still don't see any evidence of a collapse. Last time I checked, we're still up and running, still making a profit, and still growing our profit. Not really a collapse, is it? You even changed the wording to "failure" - all we failed to do is meet our growth projections, and we only missed them by 1%. You could argue that we failed to meet expectations, but this company is miles upon miles away from a collapse.

And, my comment that we've done better than the competition - both Lilly and Sanofi have had consecutive years with a decrease in operating profit. Ours has grown in both of those years. I can't claim to be a rocket scientist, but when our numbers get bigger and theirs get smaller, I think it's safe to say we're performing better than they are. The industry average is negative growth. We're positive growth. Is that math making any sense to you? I'll concede that their stock has done better in the last 2 years. Our did better for the previous 10 years. But, you measure the health of the business by more than stock price.

You can point to bad things that have recently happened at this company, and they are things that have happened at every company. Lilly has been through lay-offs. Sanofi has been through lay-offs. Their Presidents have stepped down. They've had changes on their ET. Have Sanofi and Lilly collapsed? Are they better than we are simply because they went through what we're going through at a three-fold rate over the last several years, and it just happened to us now?

Look, I'm not pretending that things are perfect here or that we're as good as we used to be. My point is that only a fool thinks this company has collapsed. I'm pretty sure Harvard won't be knocking on our door anytime soon to put together a case study.

What is particularly funny is that anyone thinks that what Harvard says or does in business matters. Many HBS Professors that have little to no business experience and my HBS grads who are full of BS. Don't get caught up in case studies from business schools, worry about clueless european executives who think Americans are stupid, there is no such thins as a "no see" doctor and that PBMs and Healthplans don't rule the pharma landscape.

What is particularly funny is that anyone thinks that what Harvard says or does in business matters. Many HBS Professors that have little to no business experience and my HBS grads who are full of BS. Don't get caught up in case studies from business schools, worry about clueless european executives who think Americans are stupid, there is no such thins as a "no see" doctor and that PBMs and Healthplans don't rule the pharma landscape.

I think that the HBS or Wharton case study posts are allegorical. I strongly suspect that most people here don't read HBR or Pharma Exec. Second; I wouldn't put 100% of the blame on our Eurotrash for the mis-steps or lack of understanding of the marketplace. Many members of the ET have been on this side of the pond and in pharma their whole careers.