Just Got Laid Off & Need Advice

Anonymous

Well, I've almost become numb to layoffs because this is my fourth one in as many years but now I'm getting concerned about having too many jobs on my pharma resume.

Does anyone have any tips in terms of keeping some jobs off because I'm afraid I'll be labelled a job hopper (even though these things were not my fault)?

Thanks to all for your advice.

I haven't been laid off (knock on wood) yet but here's what I would do. Keep resume to last 10 years or so and I'd even put in parentheses something about layoff of X sales reps. Resume is simply the key to the door and you have to make sure they consider it. Only put years, don't put months. I might consider leaving one job off if you've really had 4 jobs in 4 years. Also... get out of the industry.

You would do best having a combo functional/chronological resume. Go google and you'll see what I mean. It highlights your accomplishments and lessens attention to dates.

Well, I've almost become numb to layoffs because this is my fourth one in as many years but now I'm getting concerned about having too many jobs on my pharma resume.

Does anyone have any tips in terms of keeping some jobs off because I'm afraid I'll be labelled a job hopper (even though these things were not my fault)?

Thanks to all for your advice.

Yes, you are just going to have to put that on the resume, that you were downsized.

Another industry is the way to go, in most cases.

Also, consider developing a relationship with a contract company (PDI, Publicis, Ventiv, Quintiles), because these companies are going to be needed employees, and this is where the future is for our industry.

Better yet, go back to school for nursing or PA or teaching or police officer.

Yes, you are just going to have to put that on the resume, that you were downsized.

Another industry is the way to go, in most cases.

Also, consider developing a relationship with a contract company (PDI, Publicis, Ventiv, Quintiles), because these companies are going to be needed employees, and this is where the future is for our industry.

Better yet, go back to school for nursing or PA or teaching or police officer.

Screw em. I am so sick of creeps passing judgement on me and my work history. I answer the question once anymore and if they does not please them - so be it. If it is related to pharma, the entire crop is full of idiots with little skill and big egos. A bad combo.
To hell with them. So you said you were here when? Then drag it up again. I have walked out of one interview and will be happy to do it again. Did you even read it before I wasted my time preparing for YOU? What a sham industry.

Screw em. I am so sick of creeps passing judgement on me and my work history. I answer the question once anymore and if they does not please them - so be it. If it is related to pharma, the entire crop is full of idiots with little skill and big egos. A bad combo.
To hell with them. So you said you were here when? Then drag it up again. I have walked out of one interview and will be happy to do it again. Did you even read it before I wasted my time preparing for YOU? What a sham industry.

Good for you, for walking out of a bad interview. I have wanted to do it so many times, but have decided against it because I just don't like to let the other guy/gal get the best of me.

Instead, I just "heat" up the interview, and do my best to make them feel uncomfortable.

It sounds like you love pharma, and if that is the case, just keep applying and "do your thing". It may take a year to find it, but something should open up.

The most important thing is to simply have a back up plan for this pharma thing, because the industry is just terrible right now.

good luck.