• Thurs news: AbbVie Parkinson’s drug. Arch raises $3B biotech fund. Biogen dropping failed Sage tremor drug. AZ gets sought-after Tagrisso OK. Pfizer withdrawing sickle cell med. See more on our front page

Is 38 too old to break into Med Sales?

Anonymous

I had a late jump so I only have about 3 years of b2b experience. Long story short, I managed to get some interviews either through recruiters or from direct apply. I can't seem to get by the first stage of interviews, and I seriously thought maybe its because I'm too old. All of these positions were entry level med sales of course, such as an associate role for Smith and Nephew lets say. The recruiters will ask me questions such as, When I graduated high school or at least college to see how old I am. Any suggestions for an old fogie like myself that wants to break into med sales? Are the same b2b jobs like copiers and payroll the way to get in or is there another way in? appreciate any feedback thanks

<

Unfortunately this may be an uphill battle. Not only due to your age, but more significantly because this industry is contracting not expanding.
What did you study in college? Probably not medical sales, so it's not as if this is the industry where you have education and training.
In some fields such as banking & finance age can work to your advantage.

I had a late jump so I only have about 3 years of b2b experience. Long story short, I managed to get some interviews either through recruiters or from direct apply. I can't seem to get by the first stage of interviews, and I seriously thought maybe its because I'm too old. All of these positions were entry level med sales of course, such as an associate role for Smith and Nephew lets say. The recruiters will ask me questions such as, When I graduated high school or at least college to see how old I am. Any suggestions for an old fogie like myself that wants to break into med sales? Are the same b2b jobs like copiers and payroll the way to get in or is there another way in? appreciate any feedback thanks

Age is a bit of a factor and there is no way around it. You have b2b sales experience, but what kind? Your best bet is to go to a company like ADP or Paychex and excel there. Breaking into med sales is so hard its ridiculous, you would be better served going after pharma, but as stated above, its a contracting business. Companies keep gobbling companies, managed care continues to make things harder and profits are shrinking. I'm not saying don't keep trying, but you may want to get that "desired" b2b experience and show that you can do a very hard job well. Plus, you can make some decent coin in payroll, you will just be under continual stress!

Good luck

If you're 38 you probably graduated from college in the mid/late '90s when pharma and medical sales were great jobs. Now it's 16 years later and things arent that way anymore. Jobs have trends just like everything else and the pharmaceutical trend is over.

The original question was is 38 too old to break into medical sales and I think most people would agree that if they look around the industry, they probably dont know anyone who started in this industry while in their 30s. They might have gotten a job with their current company in their 30s, but I havent heard of anyone switching into this industry in their 30s.

I was a saints cheerleader in 99 and then went into fitness and gym membership sales, I have a kinesiology degree from an ACC school and have a lot of drive, recently divorced and want to start over

Men become distinguished, woman become old. Hot has little to do with allergan anymore. The problem is there are 10 hot chicks going after every job with 10 yrs experience in the industry. If you really want in, get a contract job with someone4248 NW Cary Pkwy, Cary, NC
and prove yourself. You have zero sales experience so the chance of that happenig is small. Go sell copiers for two years and then go I to medical. You'll make more and actually feel like you accomplished something.

These posts are funny. Love the Saints cheerleader comment because it's so true. It may be harder once you are closer to 40 as the companies are either hiring with previous medical experience or fresh out if college as a contract sales force. Allergan, however, is a great place to be hands down.

It all depends on the condition of your breast implants! If they are pretty new and you can still wear a slinky little dress with nothing else on, then you have a chance! If you need to get them redone, Allergan can help you with that too and then come back and see what you can do then! I had mine redone last year and it makes a huge difference in the looks I get! Join the club!

Oh, and this is the most intellectual conversation you will ever have at this superficial shit company.

I was a saints cheerleader in 99 and then went into fitness and gym membership sales, I have a kinesiology degree from an ACC school and have a lot of drive, recently divorced and want to start over

This string cracks me up!!! I am a female and I got into Pharma in my mid-thirties. No cheerleading experience is required! They never ever ask about cheerleading experience in any interview. Intelligence has a lot more to do with it. Careful resume writing that presents your skill in sales and your track record will get far more attention than pom poms. Face to face in an interview, I have never felt that I won the job on fitness - I am in ok shape but I am no bikini model. I won it with my brain and my ability to relate to the manager and what the company was looking for at that time. (. . . and that might be my International Business degree and graduation with high honors from an SEC school)
So congrats on the herkies, but they won't help you here.