Interesting discussion: WHY SHOULD I JOIN AZ?

Anonymous

I might be opening a can of worms here - but given that AZ continues to hire Reps and DMs, and if I was one of the successful candidates receiving the job offer, help me understand: WHY SHOULD I ACCEPT & JOIN AstraZeneca?

I might be opening a can of worms here - but given that AZ continues to hire Reps and DMs, and if I was one of the successful candidates receiving the job offer, help me understand: WHY SHOULD I ACCEPT & JOIN AstraZeneca?

The first question that needs to be asked, is can you read? Apparently you cannot, because if you could, all you have to do is scan the threads here on CP and the answer would be obvious. My advice is to definitely pick another company, and even better, another industry.

Well years ago when I joined it was not AZ, but it was a better paying sales job than I had, benefits were good, the Pharma industry was strong, most drugs got a pretty decent share of the pie, you were treated fairly well, you got a company car, and it was a good start to raising a family with the opportunity for a long term career.

Essentially changes are that the economy is in the shitter, the industry is shaky, sales people have less value than they once did, the technology creates metric driven detail robots, and most companies are facing a number of patent expirations as generic growth blossoms - so your future could be questionable.

Why should you accept? There are hundreds of people chafing at the bit to have your offer. If you are like most of us you didnt go to law or medical school and the gig looked pretty good for the credentials you have. At the end of the day its still sales and a tough way to make a living. As my first Regional Director used to say - I was a wannabe Doctor but couldnt get into medical school so I started as a rep. If you think you are better and can blow it off for another job, go for it.

How bout a kick ass paycheck, car, cadillac benefits, vacation, 401-k, all in a for shit economy with a company that makes beaucoup bucks year after year? No brainer.

The first question that needs to be asked, is can you read? Apparently you cannot, because if you could, all you have to do is scan the threads here on CP and the answer would be obvious. My advice is to definitely pick another company, and even better, another industry.

As a matter of fact I started the discussion only after reading various AZ threads. I just want honest facts and opinions - to help make a decision. With >10% unemployment nationally and over 14 million individuals without jobs - an offer is a welcome news. I just don't want to jump out of the pan and into the fire - if you know what I mean.

I appreciate some very constructive feedback that several of you have already provided!

If you need a job - take it. Just know that it is likely it won't last long. Will provide padding for your resume without long time lapse without job. But then you will have to explain in your interviews how you were laid off from AZ - just like everyone else in pharma is having to do.

AZ management gives new meaning to the word inept. They haven't successfully launched a drug since Nexium. The FDA shuts us down all the time with a BIG NO to drug after drug. They force us to use a failed platform called TSi, which we don't, even though they know it's a failure. A huge portion of our sales are about to evaporate over the next few months. They are hiring contract reps as I write this, to replace us. They are so out of touch with what the sales force needs that it defies imagination. Morale is beyond low.

Having said all of that, if you need a job, then go into this one knowing that it could very well be over shortly after the first of the year. Pharma no longer offers anyone a real, life long career anymore. It's just about over.

Why do they keep hiring from outside - if the company is considering layoffs due patent expirations next year - I agree it's either Inept Management or they have other strategies to protect its current employees. Is AZ really that foresighted and employee focused???

What's the reality? Are the Lay-offs definite and imminent? If so, why is company going through bearing the expense of recruiting, hiring, background checks, etc. - sounds like a frivolous waste if the new hires will be laid off 6-12 months down the road.

What's the reality? Are the Lay-offs definite and imminent? If so, why is company going through bearing the expense of recruiting, hiring, background checks, etc. - sounds like a frivolous waste if the new hires will be laid off 6-12 months down the road.

The reality is that you are a moron. More reps more sales, that is what they want. Expenses are someone else's problem. The reductions will be between 25-40% depending on the SALES outcomes this year. More sales less reductions. That simple.

- sounds like a frivolous waste if the new hires will be laid off 6-12 months down the road.

You just described AZ perfectly. Nothing this company does ever makes sense. Ask the people from a couple of years ago who had accepted AZ offers, quit their old jobs, and then were told 48 hours prior to boarding a plane to go to training that their offers were rescinded "why AZ?".

Why do they keep hiring from outside - if the company is considering layoffs due patent expirations next year - I agree it's either Inept Management or they have other strategies to protect its current employees. Is AZ really that foresighted and employee focused???

They keep hiring from outside b/c they hire assholes b/c they can't tell the difference between an asshole and a good salesman when they interivew