• Thurs news: Novartis not joining weight loss race. Pharma marketing and climate change. Roche flu treatment trial. Cercle’s fund raise for women’s health. ICER looks at GSK COPD drugs. See more on our front page

Innovation candidates not interested

Anonymous

I talked with high-potential candidate today. He was a duel chemistry & physic major who just finished his MBA. He plans to pursue a PhD over the next several years while working full time at an innovative Pharma. I asked if he was impressed by Lilly and he was quick to answer with a HE__ NO. When I asked why, he said, "Really? This company has invested millions in depreciating assets like a soccer field, bike garage, bar & grill, over-sized administrative facilities and blah, blah, blah. Yet, this company just discontinued it college tuition reimbursement program. Innovation comes from an education with passion, not leisure facilities that drain the heart of the organization. This company is run by out of touch, bloated old men who are trying to leave their mark with impressive nick-nacks. There's no future for someone with heart here at Lilly."

I really couldn't argue with him. He compared Lilly's CEO to that of Microsoft's. Just sayin'.

<

I don't blame him. Having spent 14+ years in BioTDR I can honestly say that despite all the "Innovation Starts Here" slogan BS that this is an organization that is completely hostile to innovation. Every project/program has to be "sanctioned by management" in this case, blundering buffoons like TB, JO and the rest of the inept BioTDR management. Add to this to a KGB-like performance management system, restrictions on travel to scientific meetings and no opportunity to publish because of the idiotic LIBRA gatekeeping, its hard to see why a promising young scientist would choose top come here.

I don't blame him. Having spent 14+ years in BioTDR I can honestly say that despite all the "Innovation Starts Here" slogan BS that this is an organization that is completely hostile to innovation. Every project/program has to be "sanctioned by management" in this case, blundering buffoons like TB, JO and the rest of the inept BioTDR management. Add to this to a KGB-like performance management system, restrictions on travel to scientific meetings and no opportunity to publish because of the idiotic LIBRA gatekeeping, its hard to see why a promising young scientist would choose top come here.

Anyone with outstanding talent is ridiculed for "not modeling the values."

Anyone with outstanding talent is ridiculed for "not modeling the values."

That "modeling the values" c*ap has got to take the cake. Talk about a completely subjective and ultimately meaningless criterion! No wonder there are no inventions coming out of LRL...only a bunch of people posing, creating the "right impression", being "crossfunctionally influential" (whatever that is), being "opinion leaders" . All of which basically amounts to babbling the most at team meetings, sending out memos, making powerpoint slides and organizing more worthless meetings. No wonder there are no new molecules coming out....everyone is busy "modeling the values". The problem is you can't really sell that nonsense, all Wall Street cares about is earnings growth and not some dopey "behaviors".

That "modeling the values" c*ap has got to take the cake. Talk about a completely subjective and ultimately meaningless criterion! No wonder there are no inventions coming out of LRL...only a bunch of people posing, creating the "right impression", being "crossfunctionally influential" (whatever that is), being "opinion leaders" . All of which basically amounts to babbling the most at team meetings, sending out memos, making powerpoint slides and organizing more worthless meetings. No wonder there are no new molecules coming out....everyone is busy "modeling the values". The problem is you can't really sell that nonsense, all Wall Street cares about is earnings growth and not some dopey "behaviors".

I sense you need help with your development plan. Modeling the values is what has made Lilly the pharma of the decade. You're just not seeing the big picture, nor are you FIPNET material. For every infraction of Lilly values, I want you to walk 10 laps around the track.

I sense you need help with your development plan. Modeling the values is what has made Lilly the pharma of the decade. You're just not seeing the big picture, nor are you FIPNET material. For every infraction of Lilly values, I want you to walk 10 laps around the track.

You are right, of course. I probably also need mentoring, along with a better development plan....I know, we can laugh about it, but I suspect the consequences of all this idiocy will not be funny when the next round of downsizing comes.

You are right, of course. I probably also need mentoring, along with a better development plan....I know, we can laugh about it, but I suspect the consequences of all this idiocy will not be funny when the next round of downsizing comes.

One of the more honest HR reps advised me that the development plan should take at least a full week of productive time, that the benefits to one's future career (and thus, the pipeline), more than make up for such a wise investment.

One of the more honest HR reps advised me that the development plan should take at least a full week of productive time, that the benefits to one's future career (and thus, the pipeline), more than make up for such a wise investment.

Why not a whole month, or even a year? Let's make this the pharma of the millenium!

The sad thing is that the HR rep was right. Spending a week on the development plan, and another week on your PM, to make everything look slick pays off within Lilly. But it certainly does not help the pipeline or getting new products to market. Ultimately, this game will end badly for Lilly.

Model yourself on the genius Pepto-Bumol. Then your incompetence, for decades, will be overlooked and indeed, rewarded.

The whole autoimmune initiative is a joke for a number of reasons:

1) Biologics for indications like RA, Crohn's disease and psoriasis represent an incredibly crowded market that is already well served by drugs like Enbrel, Remicade, Humira, Orencia, Cimzia, Simponi and about a 1/2 dozen that I can't recall.

2) They are aggressively marketed by the likes of JNJ (Remicade, Simponi), Abbott (Humira), Amgen/Pfizer (Enbrel), BMS (Cimzia) and have been on the market for 10+ years in some cases and are incredibly well established. We have absolutely no presence or experience in those markets.

3) Our drugs are way behind and are unlikely to be launched for at least 2-3 years. Sure,
this would have been a great area to get into 12-15 years ago, but not now. Its kind of like trying to get into the smartphone business now, 6-7 years after Apple.

How the senior management can support this goofy strategy is beyond me...

Am I missing something ? Thoughts ?

The whole autoimmune initiative is a joke for a number of reasons:

1) Biologics for indications like RA, Crohn's disease and psoriasis represent an incredibly crowded market that is already well served by drugs like Enbrel, Remicade, Humira, Orencia, Cimzia, Simponi and about a 1/2 dozen that I can't recall.

2) They are aggressively marketed by the likes of JNJ (Remicade, Simponi), Abbott (Humira), Amgen/Pfizer (Enbrel), BMS (Cimzia) and have been on the market for 10+ years in some cases and are incredibly well established. We have absolutely no presence or experience in those markets.

3) Our drugs are way behind and are unlikely to be launched for at least 2-3 years. Sure,
this would have been a great area to get into 12-15 years ago, but not now. Its kind of like trying to get into the smartphone business now, 6-7 years after Apple.

How the senior management can support this goofy strategy is beyond me...

Am I missing something ? Thoughts ?

The RA molecules are a flop, just like mGlu, SOLA... The best we will do in the autoimmune space is the Lupus agent they are desperately pursuing... Little ROI on that. Innovation? We have none of that at Lilly... We encourage freedom of thought and curious thinkers/risk takers as much as they do in Syria... The consequences here just aren't as bad. They only separate you from the company or give you LS...