• Thurs news: Merck - Weight-loss drugs and healthcare costs. GSK and Pfizer RSV vaccines in younger adults. Pharma mega-mergers. Lilly launches Mounjaro in Denmark. Lundbeck pipeline. See more on our front page

How is every drug at Takeda not a blockbuster drug?

Anonymous

Dexilant - new program with $0 monthly copays
Amitiza - $2 monthly copay cards
Nesina Family - $4 monthly copay cards
Contrave - cash price with program is no more than $70
Uloric - $15 monthly copay cards

Brintellix is only one where reps might have legitimate cost issue. Why do sales suck so bad for all Takeda products when you guys are giving away these products to the consumer?

Dexilant - new program with $0 monthly copays
Amitiza - $2 monthly copay cards
Nesina Family - $4 monthly copay cards
Contrave - cash price with program is no more than $70
Uloric - $15 monthly copay cards

Brintellix is only one where reps might have legitimate cost issue. Why do sales suck so bad for all Takeda products when you guys are giving away these products to the consumer?

Dexilant is the only branded product; last in the market. With that said by far HCP's think it's the best PPI out there.

Nesina is in it's growth cycle, not done with product yet, same with Contrave. Uloric? Gout is an under diagnosed and treated disease state. That will soon change

NEXT...

Dexilant is the only branded product; last in the market. With that said by far HCP's think it's the best PPI out there.

Nesina is in it's growth cycle, not done with product yet, same with Contrave. Uloric? Gout is an under diagnosed and treated disease state. That will soon change

NEXT...

Amitiza?

NEXT...

Hey Einstein, Nexium is still being dispensed as a brand and it's not generic..yet. Get your facts straight, buttercup. You can't even call Dexialnt the best, look at your own PI. it didn't even get a superiority claim over Prevacid, you know..the traditional PPI's you claim to be better than..notice you didn't have a cute comment for Amitiza. You gonna blame that one on Sucampo or what's your excuse for losing the market to the new competitor 10 months into their launch, when your established product was on the market for 8 years? Won't even comment on your Nesina remarks, it's laughable for you to even think that there will be a growth stage for Nesina. Face it, Takeda is not a diabetes company. Uloric--see above comments for Amitiza. Wouldn't you agree CIC and IBS-C were also under diagnosed and treated disease states? All it takes is a good drug and docs will treat it.

You have an entire sales force from reps up through management THAT DONT KNOW HOW TO SELL! Actos would have sold itself, all you had to do as an Actos rep was drop off samples. now you have all these peoples moving up through the ranks based on effortless sales. Put them in a competitive sales class and they can't sell shit. It goes up through DM, Rd, and even marketing positions.

Actos made you......not the other way around!

Now we all suffer for these talentless schlubs

You have an entire sales force from reps up through management THAT DONT KNOW HOW TO SELL! Actos would have sold itself, all you had to do as an Actos rep was drop off samples. now you have all these peoples moving up through the ranks based on effortless sales. Put them in a competitive sales class and they can't sell shit. It goes up through DM, Rd, and even marketing positions.

It's about to get a lot worse

Hey Einstein, Nexium is still being dispensed as a brand and it's not generic..yet. Get your facts straight, buttercup. You can't even call Dexialnt the best, look at your own PI. it didn't even get a superiority claim over Prevacid, you know..the traditional PPI's you claim to be better than..notice you didn't have a cute comment for Amitiza. You gonna blame that one on Sucampo or what's your excuse for losing the market to the new competitor 10 months into their launch, when your established product was on the market for 8 years? Won't even comment on your Nesina remarks, it's laughable for you to even think that there will be a growth stage for Nesina. Face it, Takeda is not a diabetes company. Uloric--see above comments for Amitiza. Wouldn't you agree CIC and IBS-C were also under diagnosed and treated disease states? All it takes is a good drug and docs will treat it.

This post is very accurate!The good reputation,integrity,good products,etc,are all in the past.I used to be proud to say I worked for Takeda,and now I try not to hide the fact.Nothing more than a "me-too"drug distributer!

I don't sell Amitiza, never have. Dexilant is the only branded prescription (get a life). Doctors tell me over and over again they are amazed by it's results and THEY claim the drug is the best PPI ever, I sold Protonix for years and NEVER heard the kind of strokes Dexilant gets (truth); Nesina has never been detailed properly until last January; my market share has grown beautifully in this competitive market of diabetes; also Uloric is gaining lots of reception and acceptance, market share that's growing.

Haters are gonna hate. If we are so pitiful why do you come on here and waste your time. Feeling threatened are we?

I don't sell Amitiza, never have. Dexilant is the only branded prescription (get a life). Doctors tell me over and over again they are amazed by it's results and THEY claim the drug is the best PPI ever, I sold Protonix for years and NEVER heard the kind of strokes Dexilant gets (truth); Nesina has never been detailed properly until last January; my market share has grown beautifully in this competitive market of diabetes; also Uloric is gaining lots of reception and acceptance, market share that's growing.

Haters are gonna hate. If we are so pitiful why do you come on here and waste your time. Feeling threatened are we?

Indian drugmaker Ranbaxy still has exclusive rights for Nexium generic: CEO
MUMBAI Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:49am EDT
0 COMMENTS

(Reuters) - Indian drugmaker Ranbaxy Laboratories still has exclusive rights to the launch of AstraZeneca's heartburn drug Nexium in the United States, it said on Tuesday, despite regulatory concern over the manufacturing process.

Ranbaxy was the first to seek approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to sell a cheaper copy of Nexium, gaining exclusive rights to sell it for six months after patent expiry.

However, doubts about Ranbaxy's ability to launch the drug grew after the FDA in January prohibited it from shipping to the United States any pharmaceutical ingredient made at its Toansa plant in northern India, citing quality control issues.

"We believe we have the (Nexium) exclusivity and we will launch the product upon approval,"
Ranbaxy chief executive Arun Sawhney said on a post-earnings call with analysts on Tuesday, though he refused to elaborate on when that might be when pressed for more detail.

Sources told Reuters in March that Ranbaxy was in talks with at least two other companies on sourcing the drug ingredient required to manufacture the Nexium copy.

Nexium achieved global sales of $3.87 billion last year, $2.12 billion of which came from the United States, and analysts have said that any delay in the launch of a generic copy would be hugely beneficial for Britain's AstraZeneca.

(Reporting by Zeba Siddiqui in Mumbai; Editing by David Goodman)

To think, I thought you were a management or marketing hack trying to spread positive spin on Takeda's products. You are just a dumb rep out of training, Nexium is not a generic...moron.

Great post! Welcome to the company, we need more reps with your attitude!

#lookingdamngoodTakeda
#AlannisMorissettplayedatourBrintellixlaunchmeeting

Very true ... the sad fact is that Kermit and his crew could never adjust to a world where they weren't carried along by blockbusters. When it came to product launches it was just a succession of face plants.

If the new president could see it so quickly that Doug was mistake, it just shows how inept Yasu was for all those years. Yasu needs to go, and quickly.

And it is worth asking exactly what the BOD was doing for all those years, given Yasu's failed leadership. It was their job to force a change at the top. Just look at the stock price, 8210 in 2007, 4800 now. Not pretty.

Very true ... the sad fact is that Kermit and his crew could never adjust to a world where they weren't carried along by blockbusters. When it came to product launches it was just a succession of face plants.

If the new president could see it so quickly that Doug was mistake, it just shows how inept Yasu was for all those years. Yasu needs to go, and quickly.

And it is worth asking exactly what the BOD was doing for all those years, given Yasu's failed leadership. It was their job to force a change at the top. Just look at the stock price, 8210 in 2007, 4800 now. Not pretty.

#Dougfailedtodohisjob
#newDexilantrepsdontevenknowNexiumisntageneric

As if Dexilant has ever proven itself to be more effective than the other PPI's? "Dual-delayed release" is a marketing gimmick and has no proven correlation to increased efficacy. All of the PPI's in this generically flooded market have very similar efficacy data. They all work the same and MD's know it. When Nexium does go generic, you're done on managed care formularies. Good science, my a$$!

As if Dexilant has ever proven itself to be more effective than the other PPI's? "Dual-delayed release" is a marketing gimmick and has no proven correlation to increased efficacy. All of the PPI's in this generically flooded market have very similar efficacy data. They all work the same and MD's know it. When Nexium does go generic, you're done on managed care formularies. Good science, my a$$!

So I guess the question is - if doc's know all PPIs are the same, Dex is no better than others, Dex has no superiority claim, DDR is a gimmick and Dex has terrible managed care coverage - then how does this product do over a billion in gross sales per year according to published sources? How does it do over a dollar in sales? I hear docs believe it's better - despite any evidence or data. Why do they think that? Because either the product is that good but the studies don't show it, or Sales is that good or Marketing is that good or all of the above. Which is it?

You just reiterated every point that I was trying to point out. Your revenue is generated because you are one of the only two companies still sampling PPI's (w/Zegerid) and you are getting 10% of a $10 billion dollar market. Managed care coverage doesn't suck, yet. But when Nexium goes generic in 2015, your sales #'s will drop like a rock. PPI's are, and always have been, about matching the patients up with the PPI that works best for them. No PPI is superior. Have another swig of the company Kool-Aid!

Dexilant is the only branded product; last in the market. With that said by far HCP's think it's the best PPI out there

NEXT...

inShare

Email
Print
AstraZeneca on Thursday upgraded its annual guidance after reporting third-quarter sales that topped estimates following a delay to generic competition for Nexium in the US. The company said that revenue this year will increase by a low single-digit percentage at constant exchange rates, lifted from a prior estimate of in line with 2013. In addition, earnings are expected to decline by about 10 percent, which is less than the low double-digit decline previously guided.

In the three-month period, sales of Nexium, which AstraZeneca had expected to face generic competition from October 1, rose 1 percent on a constant exchange rate basis to $922 million. Ranbaxy, which had been expected to launch a generic version of Nexium in the US with 180 days of marketing exclusivity, disclosed Thursday that the FDA withdrew tentative approval for the product citing the "compliance status" of manufacturing facilities.

AstraZeneca noted that overall sales in the three-month period climbed 5 percent year-over-year to $6.5 billion, above analyst estimates of $6.4 billion, boosted by the performance of Brilinta, as well the company's diabetes and respiratory products, and strong growth in emerging markets. CEO Pascal Soriot remarked "I'm pleased to report our third consecutive quarter of revenue growth," adding that "Brilinta, respiratory and diabetes...increased sales by 38 percent in the quarter."

Quarterly revenue from the respiratory medicine Symbicort rose 15 percent on a constant exchange rate basis to $967 million, while sales of diabetes drugs Onglyza and Bydureon jumped 139 percent and 191 percent, respectively, to $220 million and $125 million. Meanwhile, revenue from Brilinta climbed 68 percent on a constant exchange rate basis to $127 million. For other products, sales of Crestor, which loses US patent protection in 2016, declined 1 percent to $1.3 billion.

According to AstraZeneca, three-monthly sales in the US lifted 7 percent year-over-year to $2.5 billion as declining revenue from Crestor and Nexium, along with the timing of seasonal shipments of Flumist, were more than offset by the inclusion of 100 percent of revenue from the company's previous diabetes joint venture with Bristol-Myers Squibb. Sales in Europe rose 1 percent to $1.6 billion, with revenue in Japan down 7 percent to $568 million, mainly as a result of "generic pressure on oncology products." Meanwhile, sales in emerging markets jumped 11 percent to $1.5 billion, with China, where revenue surged 19 percent to $558 million, a "major driver."

Net income in the quarter reached $254 million, down from $1.2 billion in the prior-year period, partly as a result of increased R&D costs, which reached $1.6 billion, versus $858 million in the same quarter of 2013. "We have chosen to invest in our rapidly developing pipeline that will continue to create value for AstraZeneca in 2015 and beyond," commented Soriot. The CEO added that the "enhanced execution of our strategy and our sustained performance gives us confidence to increase our revenue and...earnings guidance for the year." For 2015, AstraZeneca also indicated that earnings are predicted to be no less than the low end of this year's forecast.

Deutsche Bank analyst Mark Clark said market forecasts for earnings were likely to be revised down by a few percent for 2014 and up a small amount for 2015, though this was "of limited relevance to the long term pipeline-led return to growth story." Berenberg Bank analyst Alistair Campbell added that "cost control will likely be a major focus in 2015 as the company tries to mitigate the damage of finally losing Nexium in the US."

AstraZeneca also said Thursday that it agreed to divest Myalept (metreleptin), an orphan product for the treatment of complications of leptin deficiency in patients with generalised lipodystrophy, to Aegerion Pharmaceuticals. The deal includes an upfront payment to AstraZeneca of $325 million, subject to an existing distributor license with Shionogi covering Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. The transaction is expected to complete in January 2015. Myalept, which is approved in the US for the treatment of generalised lipodystrophy, was gained via AstraZeneca's buyout of the diabetes joint venture with Bristol-Myers Squibb.

According to AstraZeneca, the sale of Myalept will allow it to redeploy resources to its core areas, including cancer drugs and the promising field of immuno-oncology. The company is expected to provide more details on its pipeline at an investor day on November 18. Soriot indicated that the drugmaker is still looking at options for its non-core anti-infectives business, with a decision expected in the coming months. The executive added that he will continue to look at acquisitions, but cautioned "we don’t need to do as many of those as we've done in the past, and our attention will turn more to earlier-stage deals."

To read more Top Story articles, click here.