How bad is it to have gap on resume? (From travel)

anonymous

mid to late 20's with a successful b2b and device background (4 years total).

Just took my first big international trip and realized all i have done is work since i graduated college and burn myself out. Would love to take 3-4 months off to travel and recharge batteries/evaluate life.

Is it that difficult to overcome a gap on resume? Easier if it's explainable and to say i left on my own terms and needed to travel for personal growth?

Any insight appreciated!

<

This is coming from a 55 year old RSD that is nearing retirement and has purchased a nice RV and a small aircraft to do the kind of things you're talking about. I have a couple of thoughts for you to chew on: 1st. you are in your mid to late 20s and you're already burned out on your career? If that's the case, maybe you chose the wrong career and need to take the summer off to do some soul searching. I know times change, but when I started my medical sales career as an anesthesia representative to hospital O.R.s/P&T committees, in addition to calling on psychiatry and OB/GYN to detail Rx meds, I was so proud to have been chosen and grateful for the opportunity (respectable career position, co. car, 401k, medical, 2 to 4+ week vacation to recharge those batteries, etc.), I was hanging on tight. There are thousands who would die for the opportunity. My advice is to use the generous PTO you are given each year to recharge the batteries and save the three month world tours for your retirement. Alternatively, choose a career path that is more personally rewarding. If you truly enjoy what you do for a living and not just collecting a decent paycheck, you wouldn't be burned out. That's this old guy's opinion...

Life is short. The older you get the less and less opportunity you will have to do things on a whim. Go for it. Make it a learning experience. Try to meet people on your travels and use it on your resume. the idea of University -40 years work - retire - die....is an outdated and stale existence. Don't listen to any fuckboy sales person who is listening to tony robins 6 hours a day in their car. Get out and experience life. Do it now. Join a Non Profit and go install water pumps in Kenya. You will regret every single missed opportunity if you don't do it. Just take a look at the poor slob 48 year old opening boxes for the Doc he thinks is his best friend. You want to be that guy? Sowhat if he makes 400K per year. His life sucks and he is a boring human.

Different responses, both appreciated! I was lucky to graduate with no debt and work right upon graduation- i lived at home for a while and have saved up a ton of money, so that luxury always has me considering my options (single as well, no family).

I shouldnt say im burned out per se, more bored and wanting to adventure. Really wishing i studied abroad or traveled post graduation but it is what it is. Met so many ppl across the world on my last trip and envious of their free spirits and just packing up a bag and going.

I have a good job, "only" 110k right now, but QOL is through the roof and manager is very hands off. If i had a micro manager or hated my day to day, it would make it so much easier to pull the trigger. I realize gaps make finding jobs tougher, but is a 4 month gap on a solid resume going to make it nearly impossible to find a gig in the field?

Another 55 year old here, former VP ! DO IT NOW !!!!! I came out with no debt because of football $ at small school. Went to work 3 days after graduating . I took my "walk about " when I was 30 . Traveled Europe with 3 weeks accrued vacation. I did it again when my kids were very young . I walked away because of QOL . Took off 2 years and came back again. Along the way I have invested and have saved as much as I can for retirement. What ever you do save your cash. I now can do what I want whenI want and that includes work.
GAPS MEAN NOTHING !!!!ALWAYS BE HONEST ON YOUR RESUME AND KNOW THAT CHARACTER IS THE MOST IMPORTANT !!!!!