Highest income potential

Anonymous

For someone looking to get into medical device sales or people who are already in the industry what area has the highest income potential? I hear ortho and spine but what about surgical or catheters and balloons things of that nature and if you were new to the industry what would you look to get into.

<

Best times are over! Wash DC is in the process of reducing all bigger money sales jobs. As the selling price goes down so does your commission. Target sales or plans increase every yr and your take home revenue slowly drops. 100-150k is what the co's what to pay.

Its too varied to list. I know a few spine guys making serious $$, maybe $400-600. I have a friend who sells soap and made over 400k last year and my friends dad works for a company like Medline and made 500k. I'd say that Ortho, Cardio, Capital and Robotic are tops, maybe throw vascular in there too. Most reps make 80-150k these days. If you can find a great little niche company you can make some serious coin on new technologies. I'm an independent in cardiac surgery and will make 350k this year, however I have to pay a subrep and our expenses..... so I might only clear 200k.

Sean

Previous poster great advice thank you. If you were going to decide between Trauma and vascular (catheters/filters) which one has a better career path.

I understand there different variables that must be considered but your opinion...

you are kidding me.....your friend sells soap and made 400k how the hell do you get these jobs? Is the sales process really tough? How are is it to "sell soap" not in the industry so dont laugh just trying to figure this out

you are kidding me.....your friend sells soap and made 400k how the hell do you get these jobs? Is the sales process really tough? How are is it to "sell soap" not in the industry so dont laugh just trying to figure this out

Pretty simple really.... Sell a lot, make the company $$$ = big paychecks... Sales 101

Trauma is by far a better career path in terms of money and job stability. Obama is making it harder to have elective surgery nowadays so the other ortho jobs are seeing less than what they are used to. In trauma nothing is elective. If someone breaks there leg or pelvis they are brought in to have surgery no matter what. Catheters etc are good but the bigger paying device jobs are going to be in ortho ie trauma, spine, knees, hips etc. what you need to ask yourself is can you handle that QOL. Trauma is 24/7 and the latter I mentioned aren't much different. Everything depends on your geographic location and quality of hospital. Therr are giant level 1 hospitals(Medicaid hospitals) that suck to work in because they are poorly run which means your job got that much more difficult. They continually screw up your sets and lose stuff. Pretty big deal if an instrument you think is in a wrapped set isn't and a patient is on the table. Always have to have a backup for everything. Then there are other hospitals where the staff are great. They are self sufficient and take pride in what they do. The techs are very experienced and you are there just to make sure everything goes right. Unfortunately it's usually a mixture of the two. Pay your dues for 2 years as an associate, learn the business and then it's up to you on how much you make. It is still very realistic to make 250k even in these challenging times.

sounds like a great sales gig. But seriously SOAP? I mean thats not even a technical sale? I get sales 101 but 400k to sell soap is just nuts.

Why does that sound nuts? What is the 1 product or products that every single person uses to scrub in? Soap or some form of it! I believe it especially if you have a big territory with big accounts.

Do you know how many soap dispensers are in 1 Hospital alone? Or some form of liquid for hand sanitation? I believe it, they probably make more than $400k.

complete horeshit. soap is a kimberly clark type product that is one of 40 commodity type products in their bags. unless you have a special new soap this is a joke.

name the company and soap you sell and prove it. if not i will continue selling my mirrors to meatheads for 15 million per year. hoo rah

Believe it or not, it is true. This rep had relationships out the wazoo as a former distributor and flipped a ton of hospitals. The rep near me in philly who sells Arista (potato starch) does $1.2 million in sales @ 30% with almost no up keep on accounts. I have a friend who sells commerical roofing and kills it, another lead aprons and does very well. We all think the cool & sexy sell like heart valves, spine, ortho, robotics are the best of the best until you meet people selling Oracle, Salesforce and shit like that....serious coin, not some 200k bullshit.

I happen to be good friends with the arista rep in my area and he told me 10 percent is the standard commission. Its also not very expensive to begin with so you have to sell a ton to make anything. He has other lines that pay more, and is killing it on spinal implants. Look in that arena or cardio if you want the serious large coinage.