• Mon news: Pfizer wins legal patent battle over GSK. Hospitals face hurricane-induced IV shortages. Activist investor takes $1B stake in Pfizer. MicroRNA pioneers win Nobel. Jude Bio debuts with $100M. See more on our front page

Gutless Air Force tells poor kids to f@#! themselves

<

This is a separate foundation. There is no issue with promoting Chrisitanity. It's called Operation Christmas Child you know. Next the name itself will be attacked. Tell me, are these poor families forced to accept the gifts?

It is sad that our nation has forgotten:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.....

This is a separate foundation. There is no issue with promoting Chrisitanity. It's called Operation Christmas Child you know. Next the name itself will be attacked. Tell me, are these poor families forced to accept the gifts?

It is sad that our nation has forgotten:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.....

I have no pronblem with it. Why don't all these wonderful new Republicans in Congress do something about it? All they care about is pissing and moaning on TV trying to get elected.

Still don't see it. WHERE IS THIS SEPARATION SHIT?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I've read it 10 times in a row now. I still don't see it.

It only exists on paper. They call it "THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA."

From Wiki:

The concept of the separation of church and state refers to the distance in the relationship between organized religion and the nation state. The term is an offshoot of the phrase, "wall of separation between church and state," as written in Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802. The original text reads: "... I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State." Jefferson reflected his frequent speaking theme that the government is not to interfere with religion.[1] The phrase was quoted by the United States Supreme Court first in 1878, and then in a series of cases starting in 1947. The phrase "separation of church and state" itself does not appear in the United States Constitution. The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Prior to 1947, however, these provisions were not considered to apply at the state level; indeed in the 1870s and 1890s unsuccessful attempts were made to amend the constitution to accomplish this, but it was accomplished by judicial decision in 1947.

Still don't see it. WHERE IS THIS SEPARATION SHIT?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I've read it 10 times in a row now. I still don't see it.

The operative words are "CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW..."

Courts have enterpreted the word "congress" to mean "GOVERNMENT".

The Jeffersonion quotation you cite refers to a "wall", which in my opinion suggests that the goal was to establish freedom FROM religion as much as freedom OF religion. Possibly because some of the more obnoxious self-rightious types in the nascent congress were pushing for a state religion.

The term 'STATES RIGHTS" was invented by slave owners in an attempt to prevent a Federal emancipation of their "property" and was later adopted by the Democrats to justify segregation and "Jim Crow" laws.

Last edited by a moderator:

The operative words are "CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW..."

Courts have enterpreted the word "congress" to mean "GOVERNMENT".

The Jeffersonion quotation you cite refers to a "wall", which in my opinion suggests that the goal was to establish freedom FROM religion as much as freedom OF religion. Possibly because some of the more obnoxious self-rightious types in the nascent congress were pushing for a state religion.

The term 'STATES RIGHTS" was invented by slave owners in an attempt to prevent a Federal emancipation of their "property" and was later adopted by the Democrats to justify segregation and "Jim Crow" laws.

BB, you usually know your stuff and I enjoy reading your posts, but you are way off on this one.

The Jefferson quote was meant to assure a group that the government would not interfere with religion and establish a state church and compel support of that particular church. Religious groups can "interfere" with the federal government all they want to. The "wall" doesn't work in that direction. It is meant only to keep the state out of the church, not vice versa. As long as the federal government does not establish a state church and prohibit the free exercise of religion (which is what the cowardly Air Force Academy has done), then everything is ok.

Based upon the constitution and historical precedent, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Air Force Academy participating in a Christian charity like Operation Christmas Child. Few things are more mainstream American than Billy Graham and his son. This is frankly an outrage and I plan on contacting my federal senators and representative on this one. I may also place calls to the members of the Armed Services Committees. I would urge all conservatives to do the same.

I don't quite understand why you went off on the state's rights tangent, but regardless of the terminology, states rights is inherent in federalism and is not a dirty term, but a very good one. It's called a limited federal government.

BB, you usually know your stuff and I enjoy reading your posts, but you are way off on this one.

The Jefferson quote was meant to assure a group that the government would not interfere with religion and establish a state church and compel support of that particular church. Religious groups can "interfere" with the federal government all they want to. The "wall" doesn't work in that direction. It is meant only to keep the state out of the church, not vice versa. As long as the federal government does not establish a state church and prohibit the free exercise of religion (which is what the cowardly Air Force Academy has done), then everything is ok.

Based upon the constitution and historical precedent, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Air Force Academy participating in a Christian charity like Operation Christmas Child. Few things are more mainstream American than Billy Graham and his son. This is frankly an outrage and I plan on contacting my federal senators and representative on this one. I may also place calls to the members of the Armed Services Committees. I would urge all conservatives to do the same.

I don't quite understand why you went off on the state's rights tangent, but regardless of the terminology, states rights is inherent in federalism and is not a dirty term, but a very good one. It's called a limited federal government.

OK. Thanks for giving me an alternative way of looking at it. I respect your beliefs.

"It’s another anti-faith effort that we are seeing by this administration,” said Rep. Randy Forbes (R-VA), who just pushed a congressional effort to reaffirm “In God We Trust” as the national motto"

Randy Forbes has never heard of "Separation of church and State."
I like
'In Buddha we trust."

If we use your logic then we have to tear down the new memorial of a certain BAPTIST PREACHER.