• Fri news: Gilead withdraws bladder cancer drug. Amgen and Intercept PDUFA date pushback. CVS replaces CEO. Supernus depression trial. AbbVie Parkinson’s approval. See more on our front page

GSK reps crusade for overtime pay

Anonymous

GSK reps making things worse again. Canned quicker than sardines is what could happen.

Supreme Court zeroes in on pharma reps' OT claims

By Tracy Staton

Will pharma reps' crusade for overtime pay survive the U.S. Supreme Court? Hearing arguments in a key case yesterday, some of the justices seemed skeptical of the very idea. And at least one was clearly irked at the Labor Department for claiming that its interpretation of labor law deserves proper respect.

The background: GlaxoSmithKline ($GSK) reps sued the company, claiming that because they didn't actually close sales, they weren't really exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act's "outside sales" provision. The company essentially claimed that if they look, walk, talk and act like outside sales reps, then they are, whether they ink sales contracts or not.

Appeals courts conflict on the issue, and the Supreme Court took up the case. If it sides with the reps, then multiple lawsuits get a jump-start, threatening the industry with hundreds of millions in liability for back pay. If it sides with GSK, then the same lawsuits falter, and companies have clearance to continue treating their reps as salaried workers.

The question seems to be just how literally the FLSA exemption should be taken. Strictly, which would mean no closed sales, no exemption? When GSK's lawyer reeled off a list of reasons why pharma reps are salespeople--hired for a sales job, given sales training, assigned a sales territory, etc.--Chief Justice John Roberts pointed out that the "long list sort of stopped one step short. They don't make sales."

Or will they give more weight to the reps' day-to-day routine, closed sales or no? Justice Antonin Scalia, for instance, said pharma is "weird" because of the no-sales-closed factor, but "these people look like salesmen to me." Meanwhile, Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg pointed out that reps don't punch a time clock, and questioned whether pharma reps deserve overtime pay for every bit of time spent promoting drugs. Dinners? Golf? "Would the time on the golf course get time-and-a-half?" Ginsburg wondered.

A ruling is expected by the end of June. Until then, lawsuits will stall and pharma execs may well run the numbers on overtime they might owe--or not.

- read The New York Times story
- get more from Dow Jones
- see the Bloomberg piece

Related Articles:
More reps sue Novo for back overtime
Reps get $99M settlement in Novartis OT case

Read more about: GlaxoSmithKline

This is wonderful news. I did not sign my lay off package on the advice from my attorney who has been following this. I have 7 years with AZ. As we proceed my attorney said AZ will settle out of court and after his fees he said we can expect a 250k payout in my behalf. Imagine if I had 10 more years with AZ. Almost a million. We win guys.

This is wonderful news. I did not sign my lay off package on the advice from my attorney who has been following this. I have 7 years with AZ. As we proceed my attorney said AZ will settle out of court and after his fees he said we can expect a 250k payout in my behalf. Imagine if I had 10 more years with AZ. Almost a million. We win guys.

Are you serious? I wouldn't buy the Vette just yet. The game is far from over.

Think about, Lunch and learns, speaker programs, AZER forever sessions at night, IT issues, Synchronizations in the evening , early morning teleconferences and at home training...etc. I am so excited by this. Although this may change severance incentives after the next round of lay offs, We have won !!!!!

C'mon people....I know that "back in the day" we did work some long days but look at all the days you did NOT work a full day (probably 90% of your days).....and now you want to be paid for playing golf? Overpaid, underworked, overfed, spoiled rotten for years and now you want more money?

And our CEO did what? To nearly double his pay. Over the last 10 years, net income has approached 100 billion dollars, fines have totaled close to a billion and you fret over pharmaceutical companies having to pay out 100 million or so to the people who contributed most to net income. We pay more than that to speakers who present slides????

Overtime?!!? wtf..checking voice/email at 8pm doesn't make it a 12 hour day (so, you got out of bed at 8am, first call about 9 am'ish, home by 2:30pm?)..Overtime, please.

We need to realize this is monumental to this industry. Yes some think we work little with great pay, however, we put up with an incredible amount of BULL! I work all days. If I play golf it is on the weekend or in the evening. I can no longer wine and dine my customers like other industries. I have strict guidelines as to what I can and cannot do when interacting with docs. I have to synch everyday, expense report every 2 weeks... which takes at least 2 hours to do. Schedule a ridiculous amount of speaker programs to offices that dont want them. Struggle with IT issues at least 3 or 4 time a month. Lets face it we are being to to be robots. No personalities. The only thing they throw to us is pay...yes it is great..however, the stress of making goals and waiting for the next layoff keeps our mental health on an anxious level. This Lawsuit is huge for us.

We need to realize this is monumental to this industry. Yes some think we work little with great pay, however, we put up with an incredible amount of BULL! I work all days. If I play golf it is on the weekend or in the evening. I can no longer wine and dine my customers like other industries. I have strict guidelines as to what I can and cannot do when interacting with docs. I have to synch everyday, expense report every 2 weeks... which takes at least 2 hours to do. Schedule a ridiculous amount of speaker programs to offices that dont want them. Struggle with IT issues at least 3 or 4 time a month. Lets face it we are being to to be robots. No personalities. The only thing they throw to us is pay...yes it is great..however, the stress of making goals and waiting for the next layoff keeps our mental health on an anxious level. This Lawsuit is huge for us.

I totally agree. This will change how pharma does business and other industries as well. We can now see the benefit of contract sales org's as the wave of the future. AZ and others should wash their hands of all company reps and go contract like Canada does and other emerging markets.

what about those of us former reps who were let go as a result of merger/down-sizing?
Can we get in on this gravy train/class action law suit?

Where do I sign up!!!!!

If the SC rules in favor of overtime....that will be the last nail in the coffin... We all know this model is over and to pay overtime...will hasten the end. Keep this in mind....if overtime is OK'ed...the lawyers will get rich what will "trickle down" to us will be minimal and will give pharma great reasons to unload all of us.