• Thurs news: Sage R&D layoffs. Another Sanofi radiopharma deal. Novartis loses bid to block generic. Kezar lupus trial stopped. Why are so many pharmacies closing. See more on our front page

Giving U the heads up BEFORE heads ROLL

Paul Revere

.expect some trauma then pain shortly
.a brown bear in the woods is significant
.the message from ur manger precludes separation
.the week of July 7 is something to behold

So what you're saying is: meth is a helluva drug.

You guys are so stupid. The smart reps that may be let go see the rep job for what it is. Good money on the side and the smart ones have other equal income sources such as franchises, rentals, trusts and spousal income in a non pharma job. This won't be the last time there are field cuts. Those who post "breaking news" "you heard it here first" "hq here", etc are the ones who live month to month. I'm not saying sell bs pain creams but no matter what industry you are in you should have other income. And really, the posts about "I might lose my company car". That should be the last worry, go buy a new one for cash. Step it up.

You guys are so stupid. The smart reps that may be let go see the rep job for what it is. Good money on the side and the smart ones have other equal income sources such as franchises, rentals, trusts and spousal income in a non pharma job. This won't be the last time there are field cuts. Those who post "breaking news" "you heard it here first" "hq here", etc are the ones who live month to month. I'm not saying sell bs pain creams but no matter what industry you are in you should have other income. And really, the posts about "I might lose my company car". That should be the last worry, go buy a new one for cash. Step it up.

Well stated, feel sorry for those where both spouses work in pharma. Suze Orman would say "denied".

I agree, too many live way beyond their means. The good old days of making big bucks was gone at least 12 years ago. Shame on you if you have not saved! Maybe you need counseling for your spending habits!

Over the last two decades all I heard from sales associates was what they bought, owned and their vacations. Made the same money but chose to put it away for college and retirement(one day). I did have great vacations every year, but didn't do it to impress.
So if I don't make it through the layoffs I saved enough to carry me for at least a year.
I am certain I will find a career that is much better than what Pharma can provide today. I might not make as much money, but I will live longer without the bullshit of being a phony.

I am actually hoping I don't have to drink the toxic koolaide anymore. Should have raised my hand!

Good luck to all in all divisions!

Layoffs said to be massive- 50% of sales force

Was told by a former Merck "DCO" that most territories would be 2-up not 3 like some of us are expecting. Almost like they have told us that to keep some of us hanging on or trying to get some work done. Something about the "pilot program" of 2-up is working well... Does someone know something more about this? PLEASE SHARE!

Layoffs said to be massive- 50% of sales force

Like a busload of lawyers going over a cliff, a 50% cut in the sales force is a good start. Look, I was in this industry for over 2 decades and what exists today barely passes as a meaningful summer job for teen agers. Believe me, it pains me to say this because at one time a good drug rep was not only knowledgeable but did bring value to physicians and their patients. Unfortunately, today, catering in endless trays of food to overweight offices and reciting a PI to doctors, who couldn't write your drug even if they wanted to because of cost, mangled care (and a host of other reasons), all adds up to a job that, on a good day, is little more than an exercise in mental masturbation. The healthcare system is a train wreck and the pharma industry is just one of the many cars that got derailed along the way

Like a busload of lawyers going over a cliff, a 50% cut in the sales force is a good start. Look, I was in this industry for over 2 decades and what exists today barely passes as a meaningful summer job for teen agers. Believe me, it pains me to say this because at one time a good drug rep was not only knowledgeable but did bring value to physicians and their patients. Unfortunately, today, catering in endless trays of food to overweight offices and reciting a PI to doctors, who couldn't write your drug even if they wanted to because of cost, mangled care (and a host of other reasons), all adds up to a job that, on a good day, is little more than an exercise in mental masturbation. The healthcare system is a train wreck and the pharma industry is just one of the many cars that got derailed along the way

Great posting…could not have said it any better myself…but not that much will really change, because like the US Congress, Merck's manager's game the system to benefit only themselves…they must keep reps around to sustain the charade!!